Great News!  For John McCain!

I’m busy with offline writing at the moment—by the end of the day, I hope to have finished my review of this book, and by the end of the week, an essay on What Happened When I Re-Took the English Literature GRE last week, twenty-five years after entering graduate school.  (No, I’m not going to tell you about that on this blog!  That would ruin all the fun.) So for now, I’ll simply note that over the past twenty-four hours, Citizen McCain has picked up the endorsement not only of Al-Qaeda (Subcommittee for U.S. Electoral Politics) but also of the Socialist International Conspiracy, which generously divulges the details of the SIC’s long-range plan to destroy capitalism.  I have every reason to believe that the latter endorsement is genuine, since it is password-protected and written in Socialist.  Whereas this Al-Qaeda endorsement from 2004 is almost certainly a hoax.

1. It is rumored that Citizen McCain funds his campaign with public monies.

captcha: job. Get a.

Posted by black dog buzzkill  on  10/22  at  02:33 PM
  2. You mean it was a hoax? Oh crap, I cite that article repeatedly in my new paper “An Ontological approach to the Collatz Sequence Meta-Pattern in LGQ”

Oh well....

Back to the drawing board.

e.

3. Jeebus Sokal, get a career willya? What’s next, a biography? “My Life as a One Trick Pony”?

4. Actually, Sokal has apparently spent much of the past ten years reading around in science studies, and his penultimate chapter offers a discussion of Sam Harris and Michael Lerner.  So yeah, in some sense it really is Beyond the Hoax.  Even if the hoax takes up the first 100 pages.

And don’t forget, there are plenty of people out there who believe that Sokal Proved Them Right About Everything.  That discussion is still goin’ on.

5. OMG, Michael, you’re back!!  Thank you!!!!  Now I have to go read everything you’ve written since you’ve been back.

6. Possible book review title:

“’Jus’ the Brute Fax, Ma’am’: A Journey Towards Transgressing the Boundary of Riding This Pony Too Long.”

Or something like that.

7. As long as we’re mappin’ unreality, don’t ask me how I got there but http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2008/10/how_to_scare_a.html
    argues that Bernanke and Paulson made up the current crisis.  The feller seems serious, in that fix-you-with-a-glittering-eye libertarian style— from Barbara E’s lips to the Liberty Fund’s ears!

8. No, I’m not going to tell you about that on this blog!  That would ruin all the fun.

Well then, where are you going to tell us about this then, good sir?

Posted by SEK  on  10/22  at  04:08 PM
  9. Well, Colin, I for one welcome our new Sumerian Liberty Fund Overlords.  If only Bernanke and Paulson had STFU, everything would be fine.

And Cathy, you didn’t get the mailer from my publicist?  Dang.  Very well, I’ll leave the recent archives up.  The fun begins on September 29.

10. ”...an essay on What Happened When I Re-Took the English Literature GRE last week, twenty-five years after entering graduate school.”

Looking forward to finding out exactly what happened for you, Michael!

Those who want to be “fully” informed before reading about Michael’s experiences can try the practice exam at: http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/LiteratureinEnglish.pdf

11. Yep, Maladies, that’s the one—I took the practice exam, so that I’d have (a) a record of the questions, (b) the ETS stats on the percentage of people who got each question right, and (c) an immediate score.  I swear I didn’t cut any corners.  And I completed the exam in 2-1/2 hours.

And SEK, you know it’s very bad luck for me to say where I’m sending stuff.  Likewise with the Sokal review.  These things just might get rejected, you know.

12. It takes real guts to re-take a GRE. The first question on the Political Science GRE that I took was a list of names, and the question was: “Which of these figures was not a leader in the Pan African Movement?” I’m pretty sure I missed that one. The second question, however, was on Thomas Aquinas and I owned that one. Why, yes, I did go to a Catholic school.

Captcha: love. It’s what I feel.

13. The answer to the first question, Chris, was clearly “Barack Obama.” Though I hear that Stanley Kurtz still disputes that one.

14. RE: reviewing Sokal.  How can you do better than the Amazon reviewers?  You’ll have to offer more than “splenetic responses from those who have found fame and fortune in the relatively arid realm of post-modernism and the various endeavors to extend it far beyond what it warrants” ya know.

15. Wow, m.ho, check out the next sentence in that review:

It is easy to leap from the bona fide points philosophers like Derrida and Foucault have made to silly inferences such as that there is no objective reality.

Easy? Are you kidding me? I had to train for years before I could make that leap.  And now along comes some guy implying that just anyone can do it.  Where’s the respect, I ask you?

16. Foucault, Foucault...the guy with the pendulum?
    And what’s all this about “no objective reality”? There’s plenty to object to here in the Long Island reality, I’ll tell you that.

17. Um, McCain and Palin don’t really seem to think there’s an objective reality, so maybe the leap isn’t that hard.

captcha: “growing,” as in palins

18. True that, CLT, but how did they get there from Derrida and Foucault? Palin botches even the simplest questions about “Signature, Event, Context,” and every time Discipline and Punish comes up, McCain just alludes to his time as a POW.

19. Regrettably, Michael, I must correct a typo in your latest comment. I believe the word you’re looking for is dat. “True dat.”

I took the GRE for sport in ‘88. Man, was that fun! That one section that was all logic puzzles like the ones published in the Dell puzzle magazines of my childhood, only easier? That rocked. I understand they have jettisoned that section now, so I refuse to take the GRE for sport again.

Captcha: attack. Al Qaeda is everywhere.

Posted by Orange  on  10/22  at  08:41 PM
  20. Philosophy doesn’t have a GRE subject exam (at least, I was never asked to take one). It looks like a giant literary version of trivial pursuit. Do english depts take it seriously?

21. Postmodernism? Looks like Sokal is aiming to be Chair of the the Department of Deceased Equine Thrashing. Seems to be all over the internets.  a href="http://www.michaelberube.com/index.php/weblog/roaming/">Partying like it’s 1983, indeed</a>!

Captcha: “history” as in “a nightmare from which I’m trying to awake.”

Posted by John Protevi  on  10/23  at  08:34 AM
  22. Oy! An unclosed tag, the first in my history of commenting. My bad.

Posted by John Protevi  on  10/23  at  08:35 AM
  23. Actually a fair amount of interesting writing came out of the Sokal kerfluffle. Ian Hacking’s “The Social Construction of What?” and Meera Nanda’s “Prophets Facing Backward” are two good examples. And as our host points out, Sokal’s own writings on the subject have become much more nuanced over time.

Unfortunately, the interesting stuff is drowned out by the “Sokal proved the pomo emperor has no clothes!” crowd on the one hand and the “Sokal is ill-read and half-educated and didn’y prove a thing!” crowd on the other.

24. I know I took the GRE, but I have no memory of the experience or what score I received.  Scary.  There’s a joke in there somewhere about perceiving objective or objectionable reality but darned if I can tug it out.

25. AcademicLurker, I couldn’t agree with you more.  Just wait for today’s followup (in progress as we speak)!

Next entry: Principle of Symmetry Day!

Previous entry: Roaming