Ahem

# 3 Penn State.

# 9 Ohio State.

Tonight at 8 Eastern, in the Bit Bridle Horseshoe, where Penn State has not won since 1878.

As Our Glorious Muslim Socialist Leader says, this is more important than politics.  This is football.

1. More important than politics? Roger that. Just the idea triggers a nostalgia-ic wave from a simpler time when one’s political allegiance wasn’t even on the first page of Important Personal Associations while football, here in Nebraska, was usually in the top two or three.

There is hope for a better future if we can navigate to a world where government is boring and {insert your favorite refereed sport} is exciting.

captcha: spirit. School/ 76.

Posted by black dog buzzkill  on  10/25  at  12:08 PM
  2. Well, yes, as a transplanted Happy Valley-ite (SCAHS 1971) this is clearly important, but I’m sure looking forward to your comments on Klondike Sally’s speech on special-needs kids.

3. Since they somehow managed to beat my beloved Oregon State Beavers, I firmly believe that Penn State must be the best team in the Big 10 this year.  I can think of no other explanation.

4. Hrrmph, in MY day Penn State wasn’t even in the Big Ten.  Is the 11th team in the Big Ten related to the 11th dimension in superstring theory?  If you give me a large enough grant, I will endeavor to find out.

Capcha:  foot.  As in ball.

5. And don’t forget the defending NCAA champion Penn State volleyball team, which hasn’t even lost a set so far this season.

I enjoyed seeing them beat Stanford to win it all last December in Sacramento.  Now that’s a team.

6. Joeff53—well, between the time I posted this and now, I mostly (a) succumbed to a stomach flu and (b) apologized to Jamie for not being able to do stuff with him today.  (Janet is taking him to the movies instead.) Now I’m just hoping to be able to watch the dang game tonight, and then I’ll turn my attention to Sarah and Trig.  I mean, for me the irony is very bitter indeed.  There’s finally a major-ticket VP candidate who has a kid with Down syndrome and knows her way around a hockey rink.  Someone running for the WH has actually given a policy address on children with special needs.  And she just happens to be a grade-A wingnut who’s been spiritually purged of witches.  It is to sigh.

7. And yes, fardels bear, Penn State is in the Big Ten because Ed Witten says we are.  And our volleyball team is indeed, as Goldrush notes, in a league of their own.

8. I call Penn State by 3.

Posted by Sybil Vane  on  10/25  at  02:29 PM
  9. Michael!  You’re blogging again!  I’m delighted.  Must catch up… somewhere in here are your thoughts on “real Pennsylvania,” I know.  Or no, that’s “real Virginia” and the racists in Pennsylvania?  One does get so confused.

Posted by Heidi Kim  on  10/25  at  03:39 PM
  10. Hey, Heidi!  Yes, I’ve been back for about four weeks.  But I haven’t written anything about the real Pennsylvania—I’ve been too busy clinging to my hockey stick and my agnosticism.

11. You could be here in Chicago, clinging to planetarium projectors and Jeremiah Wright.

Feel better.  and my condolences on Palin.  Sigh indeed.

Posted by Heidi Kim  on  10/25  at  04:04 PM
  12. Here’s an important question: Jersey Shore - “real Pennsylvania” or not?

13. Marita--Long Beach Island, for sure.

14. Man, if we don’t make some offensive adjustments at halftime we’re looking at a 6-3 final score in this one.  Maybe 5-3.

Captcha:  believe, as in you gotta.

15. "We,” Kemosabe?

16. Lot of questionable sports plays tonight. First the Rangers score a goal when their own goalie was not within his “designated” area, and then Penn State catches a ball thrown by the other team. What’s up with that? Are we truly devoid of any sense of sportsmanship these days? Is winning that important? Hrrmmphh.

17. He who has endowed the chair upon which you sit has saluted you with a great victory, even featuring a non-playing floating head looking over the shoulder of a young replacement quarterback.  Captcha says “nation,” as in, national championship aspirations are not out of the question at all.

18. Well that was exciting.

But in other news, Perfessor Bérubé, Sadly, Non! has all sorts of new things* to go with teh dancing badgers.

*New things = the new old things
    ~

Posted by ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®©  on  10/25  at  11:14 PM
  19. Congo rats on the win, comrade.  I only hope for my sake that ‘Bama wins its way into a title game against the Horns, so I don’t have to root against your august, soon to be blue state institution.

Captcha:  while, as in while I am sure I just jinxed UT, I hope that the gods understand that it was a super-reverse-non-reverse-immelman turn-nonjinx

20. OK, I’m breathing again.  But from 10 to 10:30, especially after Kelly missed that 45-yarder (no blame to him!), I was a very tense fellow.  The thing that will decide this game is a turnover or a punt return, I thought to myself (and said to Janet), and here it is the fourth quarter and it hasn’t happened yet. . . .  And then it did.  Here’s to Mark Rubin for forcing the decisive fumble on that third-and-one!

Here’s to the Nittaly Lions (that’s what “we” means, Sven) for a penalty-free, turnover-free, practically-perfect game on the road!  And Will, we’re not looking forward to January.  We know that Iowa, Indiana, and Michigan State are tough teams, this is a tough conference, we’ll be tested every week and we’ll have to bring our A ga. . . .  Ahhhh, who am I kidding?  Bring on those Tide or those ‘Horns.

21. Live it up Michael.  You’ve got two weeks.  But write it down, my Hawkeyes will spoil your party.

Say hi to Joe for me.

P.S.  I think the Big Ten missed a trick.  Why isn’t this you?

22. If that one says it’s Nittaly, then Nittaly it is.

Good game, but a better one over in real America (especially the bottom of the ninth).

Posted by peter ramus  on  10/26  at  03:22 AM
  23. Dude, now you’re going and proving Andrew Sullivan right.  Actually, it’s a smart essay, that “Why I Blog” thing that he saved for The Atlantic redesign issue, but to make up for this we need a 9,000-word treatise on the Nittaly Lions, in the spirit of Aristotle and Aquinas, just to prove him wrong.

captcha:  “city,” as in hill, on a?

Posted by The Constructivist  on  10/26  at  12:07 PM
  24. mean, for me the irony is very bitter indeed.  There’s finally a major-ticket VP candidate who has a kid with Down syndrome and knows her way around a hockey rink.

Not to mention that her word salad skills are worthy of a French poststructuralist trying to talk about modern physics.

25. He who has endowed the chair upon which you sit has saluted you with a great victory

Poor John Mueller (occupant of the Woody Hayes Chair of National Security Studies at Ohio State) must be insanely jealous at this point. . .

Next entry: On the road agin

Previous entry: ABF Friday: Take Five!