McCain Appreciation Day!

Just three quick things before I head out to Barack Hussein al-Obama’s Secret Islamic Socialist Headquarters to make myself useful for a change.

One: it’s time for another round of “Name that Columnist”!

In what history may record as his singular achievement—dealing with the classic American dilemma of race—[Obama] had the largely unappreciated help of his opponent, John McCain, who simply ruled out covert racial appeals used by politicians of both parties in the past.

Yeah, I know, this one’s almost too easy.  Let’s just say that for this guy, it’s always McCain Appreciation Day.

Two: Penn State is rockin’.  I didn’t vote here, but my polling place looked pretty similar—that is, completely mobbed.  Polls opened at 7, Janet and I got in line at 8, and we voted at 9:45.  We were voters number 224 and 225.  Obama people showed up around 8:30 and distributed water and Pop-Tarts.  McCain people showed up at 9:30 and called us a nation of whiners.  OK, I made up that last part.

Three: haven’t you ever wondered what Jamie does to amuse himself when he accompanies me on speaking gigs?  Sure you have!  He brings along his iPod and his Magic cards and a couple of movies and his Fandex cards of composers and painters, and a legal pad on which he writes the names of animals, titles of Beatles songs, college football teams (quick!  what is the nickname of the University of Vermont athletic teams?  University of Idaho?  University of South Dakota?  Jamie can tell you), and . . . well, this:

1.  Come on said the cat lees got keep your face clean.
2.  How long do we have to stick around this henhouse.
3.  Futher futher from home.
4.  Some prety anoyed.
5.  What is that.
6.  He would never jump to the box.
7.  What are you doing out there.
8.  After the dark.
9.  It wasn’t Otis at all it was crying from the ground.
10.  Screech owls.
11.  What am I doing that bear is ten times my size.
12.  You love it they all going love you I love you.
13.  Come on Otis we make it before the winter.
14.  They big enough to see byhond the barn.
15.  Joyce.
16.  Uh I don’t see any river around here.

I transcribed this from the pad Jamie took with him on our last trip.  Extra extra bonus Election Day prizes for everyone who can figure out what Jamie’s doing here!

1. Is he watching the movie Milo&Otis? I used to love that when I was little. By the way, thank you for coming to speak at Wright State University. I really enjoyed your presentation.

2. That “Name That Columnist” is not almost too easy, it’s just plain too easy.

“It wasn’t Otis at all it was crying from the ground” sounds a lot like the titles David Lynch gives to his paintings.

3. Dang!  The very first commenter gets it.  OK, Daniel, the prize is in your email box:  you’ve won the Irish lottery!

Actually Jamie wasn’t watching the movie; he was writing all this from memory.  Later, when he did watch the movie (during my session at the American Studies conference), he checked off each line as it came up.

And thanks for coming to hear me at Wright State!

4. I was going to guess that the columnist was Bobo himself, but Teh Google tells me that I was wrong by a few letters in the last name. Should have known, really.

Captcha: very, as in I am very nervous today, but also very hopeful.

5. 1) That should be the HindRocket, in line with his meditations on George Bush.

2) Looks like a poll tax to me, pace Rachel “the Goddess” Maddow.

3) Sorry, no idea.

6. Way too easy on the columnist front. Damn, I was reading a couple of old Studs Terkel pieces this morning just to get myself into that peace and justice frame of mind before going out to vote. So if Obama wins today it will be because McCain let him. That’s just precious.

Regards to Jamie. If he could add Clarkson’s Golden Knights to his list, I’d sure appreciate it.

7. Well, it was pretty nice of McCain to refrain from stirring the racist beast that lurks within us all… I, for one, REALLY didn’t want a swastika tattoo, so thanks Mac!!

8. Well, last time we played “Name the Columnist” I guessed Christopher Hitchens and missed it by THAT much.  I see no reason to change my guess at this point, so I’m going with Hitchens again.

In fact, I think I’ll adopt the Republican stratergery here and guess “Hitchens” every time we play just like they suggest “tax cuts” as the solution to every social problem.

capcha “course” as in “of”

9. I was wondering if Jamie was writing down lines from a movie, but I also wondered if he was playing a version of “fabulous overheards,” where you write down the random snippets of conversation from passersby. But I was having trouble reconstructing some of the potential conversations to fit everyday conference-type situations ("Bears?").

My knee-jerk response to #1 was Brooks too, Amy, but then again he’s about the only conservative columnist I can (occasionally) work my way through, so I was working from a very small guessing sample.

Here in Cincinnati, we got to the polls a little later than intended after our 2-year-old decided that today was the day she’d tumble down our fifteen wooden steps for the first time (she’s fine, although her parents lost a couple years off the ends of their lives just listening to it); just as well, since each poll worker told us twice that we had just missed the line snaking around the corner from 6:15-9 am.

captcha: “served,” and I’m not even going there. Yet.

10. What am I doing that bear is ten times my size.

Words to live by.

Maybe Jamie could start up a movie highlights blog. If I could just get key snippets from the film canon, I’d save so much time. Like, I haven’t seen Slap Shot, but I could get a feel for it with Jamie’s assistance.

I have seen Galaxy Quest and sure would like to see Jamie’s condensation of the script. There are some hilarious bits in there.

Posted by Orange  on  11/04  at  02:36 PM
  11. Orange, Jamie and I often say to each other, “it’s inside out—and it exploded.” No one knows what we’re talking about . . . except you.

12. Gah.  I don’t think it’s Assrocket—he’s not a “columnist.” And I think Brooks has progressed farther down the Road of Disillusionment.  Broder?  I’m going with Broder.

I would get that Galaxy Quest reference.  Along with “five curtain calls.” And “oh, that’s just wrong!”

And my captcha is “truth.” Coincidence?  I think not.

13. Uhhh. Jonah Goldberg? I’m just going from the “always McCain appreciation day” hint and crossing my fingers for a double Wright State win on today’s blog. (Hi Daniel, have you registered for fall quarter?)

14. Oh, and University of Idaho is the Vandals for some reason. Not something you’d naturally associate with the Palouse. Should be the Lentils, I’m saying.

15. It’s a rock! It doesn’t have any vulnerable spots!

16. Pat Buchanan?

17. Yay!  A whole thread of Galaxy Quest-quoting fun!  I forgot to add that whenever I fumble with something or can’t open a jar of whatever, Nick says, in the voice in which Sarris demands the Omega-13, ”give it . . . to me.”

And when I’m driving on a bumpy road, Janet says, “could you possibly try not to hit every single one?”

About Hitchens:  it’s credit where credit is due time.  Those last three paragraphs are quite wonderful.

18. Yeah, Milo and Otis, sure, but based on the last two notes, I figured you were giving a talk about Finnegans Wake and Jamie turned his attention that way.

19. Maybe later tonight the operative GQ line is: “C’mon, group hug.”

20. Maybe later tonight the operative GQ line is: “C’mon, group hug.”

As long as it’s not “oh, that’s just wrong!” (as referenced above).

Posted by Dave M  on  11/04  at  05:43 PM
  21. My knee-jerk response to #1 was Brooks too, Amy, but then again he’s about the only conservative columnist I can (occasionally) work my way through,

David Brooks is an elitist fuckhead. And unreadable.

22. I am staggered.  Forty years after i first voted (and experienced my first presidential candidate being assassinated not more than four hours after i voted for him), and forty years of the pretty much the same deeply psychotic idiots controlling this country, and forty years since Grant Park experience MC-5 being beaten into submission by insane police (not unlike St Paul in 2008), i get to take a deeply healing healthy breath.  Wow.... i can’t stop the tears…

23. Hey! Three of five is pretty good. Idaho, Vermont and columnist. Way off on SD and not a clue about the movie.

...and manner

24. The tears were flowing down here in Baton Rouge, too, spyder, believe me.

And can I say that if McCain had campaigned with the grace he showed in his concession speech, it would have been a tighter and more dignified race.

But the night belonged to Obama, and his people. That’s us.

I often joke about the captcha words, but this one is just plain luminous: “thus.”

Posted by John Protevi  on  11/05  at  02:07 AM
  25. We’ret an ObamaNation!

26. wheee Milo & Otis!
    it’s REALLY weird to introduce my kids to a movie i adored when little.

on a side note, i live in a BLUE state now! the novelities will never cease. and Gore Vidal on the BBC was wicked tonight.

captcha: “play”, a sense we’ve desperately needed more of. tonight was WONDERFUL.

27. You know what? I’m finding all kinds McCain “appreciation” myself today. (BTW, does anyone know if Palin has conceded yet?)

28. Huh?  Didn’t work the first time… am in Internet cafe in Zanzibar.  Roaming the streets on a rainy morning, and what an electric atmosphere-- what an amazing experience to be an American in Africa today!

29. I’m appreciating the shit out of McCain today. Thank you for your service, senator. Ha! Senator!

Posted by Jason B  on  11/05  at  07:58 AM
  30. No, no, no no, it’s Fishbone appreciation day!

Posted by The Constructivist  on  11/05  at  08:32 AM
  31. Me, asleep two years or so ago, dreaming that the Bush Administration had all been part of a horrible West Wing arc: “This episode was badly written!

Posted by Chris Clarke  on  11/05  at  04:30 PM
  32. Useful articles for me

Posted by Winning lottery numbers  on  11/14  at  02:53 AM
  33. does anyone know if Palin has conceded yet?

Posted by Winning lottery numbers  on  11/14  at  03:14 AM