Senate Dems Vote to Punish Lieberman

In an apparent response to Joe Lieberman’s recent support of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, Senate Democrats voted 42-13 today to strip Lieberman of some of his Senate cafeteria privileges.  “I know that Senator Lieberman worked closely and enthusiastically with John McCain, spoke prominently at the Republican convention, and repeatedly suggested that Barack Obama was a danger to the United States,” said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.  “But this should be a happy occasion.  Let’s not bicker and argue about who betrayed who.”

Reid then announced that Lieberman would retain his position as chairman of the powerful committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, but would henceforth be limited to one side dish at all Senate cafeteria lunches.

Asked about liberal “anger” towards Lieberman, Reid said: “I pretty well understand anger. I would defy anyone to be more angry than I was.”

But he added: “If you will look at the problems that we face as a nation, is this a time we walk out of here saying boy did we get even?”

“I feel good about what we did today,” Reid said. “We’re moving forward.  And Senator Lieberman knows that in the future, he will have to choose between a salad and a vegetable, instead of ordering both.  I think we sent the right signal.”

1. “I pretty well understand anger. I would defy anyone to be more angry than I was.”

“And let me tell you, it will be a cold day in hell before you catch Joe Lieberman using metal hangers again.”

2. Wait, let me see if I’ve got this right. Lieberman actively campaigned against the leader of the Democratic ticket, and he didn’t even get melvined?

Posted by Orange  on  11/18  at  02:28 PM
  3. Having actually eaten in that cafeteria, I can tell you this is a BIG DEAL. Not having a salad AND a vegetable will reduce his fiber intake. Not sure that’s a great thing for Joe.

e.

captcha “right” as in he’d rather be right than right.

4. Does he still get Freedom Fries with that?

5. Freedom Fries aren’t free.

6. Let that be a lesson to anyone even thinking of crossing the Democrats. Velvet fist in a velvet glove.

But then again, Newsweek says we may have just elected the Antichrist. So perhaps the Dems are lulling their enemies into a false sense of security before the real asskicking begins.

7. Profiles in Courage?  Profiles in namby-pambyism, more like.

Posted by Linkmeister  on  11/18  at  03:24 PM
  8. Now, now, V. Ed.  Newsweek merely reports that it’s a widely shared fear that we may have just elected the Antichrist.

9. Joe Lieberman is right...we should be afraid of Democratic appeasers.

Posted by slag  on  11/18  at  03:45 PM
  10. Stepping back from my own inflated sense of outrage for a moment, I must say that I can see how many of the offenses that ring fresh for you and me don’t worry other politicians so much.  But what Harkin mentions below should really tick off people who genuinely care about the Senate as an institution. Reaching into the sausage mill and pulling out one bit of gristle for out-of-context exploitation is what has a long-term chilling effect on the ability of the legislative branch (or any ongoing institution) to function.

Some, like Iowan Tom Harkin, still harbor hard feelings for statements Lieberman made during the campaign. Harkin took particular offense when Lieberman said a vote against funding the war in Iraq without a deadline for a troop withdrawal meant Obama had voted to cut off funding for troops in harm’s way.

“That’s outrageous what he said,” Harkin said.

And just to show I’m still a meanie; was there a more transparently cynical lie* during the campaign than Cindy McCain saying she got chills down her spine about her son when Obama made that vote?

*Excluding anything Sarah Palin said.

11. When Reid says, “I would defy anyone to be more angry than I was,” does he actually mean “I would defy anyone to prove to me that they were more angry than I was when Lieberman was campaigning for McCain?”

Or does he really mean that he would defy anyone to, now, be more angry than he was?  Because, if there’s a prize, I could do that.  Maybe they’d let me try out their new dessert bar.

Posted by Lance  on  11/18  at  04:44 PM
  12. "fear that we elected the antichrist”??? Of course we did. I certainly hope I didn’t waste my vote on a faux antichrist. Now Obama has been invited to speak at the U. N. This is playing out just like they told us it would in the “Left Behind” series.

13. NOBODY expects the French Capitulation! Our chief weapon is to surprise no one and fear Republican blowback. Our two weapons are to surprise no one, fear Republican blowback, and ruthless inefficiency. Our three weapons. . .

Wash, rinse, repeat.

captcha: “pay,” as in Harry Reid SO made Lieberman ____

14. Although, on a positive note, if they’d have stripped Lieberman of his chairmanship they just woulda wound up giving it to a Senate Democrat.

Posted by Doghouse Riley  on  11/18  at  05:07 PM
  15. Not sure how to react to this.  On the one hand, Harry Reid is a jellyfish.  On the other hand, Obama may have just put Lieberman in his back pocket.

16. Lance, the dessert bar is at Applebee’s, not the Senate cafeteria.

Touché, Doghouse.  Six of one . . .

Obama may have just put Lieberman in his back pocket.

Not that that will ever come back to bite him in the ass or anything.

17. And on Chinese Tuesdays Lieberman can have sweet, or sour, but not sweet and sour.

Of course this is all just shadow-puppetry meant to distract us from the real maneuverings of the Islamofacistzionistpinko conspiracy. Viva Zapata! Bird Lives!

18. Viva Zapata! Bird Lives!

Yeah!! And...wait, is Clapton still God? I forget.

19. And Senator Lieberman knows that in the future, he will have to choose between a salad and a vegetable, instead of ordering both.

Ordering both? Hell, he is both.

Plus, if the election process had included John Cleese stabbing everyone in sight in order to express his own idiom, I’d be cool with that.

Posted by Jason B  on  11/18  at  08:58 PM
  20. Harry pooped on my birthday.

Eff you, Harry, you simpering wimp.
    ~

Posted by ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®©  on  11/18  at  09:01 PM
  21. Asked what it would mean if Lieberman kept his chairmanship, one Senate Democratic aide said bluntly: “The left has been foiled again. They can rant and rage but they still do not put the fear into folks to actually change their votes. Their influence would be in question.”

I am sure that Senate aide meant to refer to just those to the left of Obama; apparently there are only 13 (eeek the Antichrist) of them.

22. “The left has been foiled again. They can rant and rage but they still do not put the fear into folks to actually change their votes. Their influence would be in question.”

In this, “the Left” (Norbiz must have had burning ears all day), are different from “the voters” in what way?

I see another election is over and the Senate Democrats are back to whoring for the only people they care about: lobbyists, and the media that is ruled by Drudge.
    ~

Posted by ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®©  on  11/18  at  09:37 PM
  23. I’m not broken up about this.  The first fight was against the conservatives; the next one is going to be against the moderates.  But they crumble easily.  Obama will get mildly burned, and then Lieberman will lose his chairmanship.

24. First they defame you during the campaign, then they retain their committee chairmanships, then they torpedo your legislative agenda, then you win.

25. What’s he actually going to torpedo, JP?  Based on Obama’s performance in the election, I predict it’s going to go something like this:

1.  Obama comes in with lots of high-sounding rhetoric
    2. Lieberman promptly is as nasty as he can be
    3. Obama wises up and kicks Lieberman to the curb

Yeah. it might be better if Obama learned to generalize from experience, but hey.  He’s not going to take it so far that he loses.

26. the left has been foiled again. they can rant and rage but they still do not put the fear into folks to actually change their votes. their influence would be in question.”

curses!  foiled again!

Posted by skippy  on  11/19  at  04:34 AM
  27. At least we can agree that Primus still sucks.

Posted by The Constructivist  on  11/19  at  05:49 AM
  28. What’s he actually going to torpedo, JP?

1. Let’s assume that I assumed that folks would generalize from this particular act to future Broder-cheered and Blue Dog led cave-ins to the Republicans.
    2. But hey! I finished with “then you win”.
    3. I am willing to grant Obama the space to play a larger and grander game (as I commiserated with a fellow traveler at work yesterday, we reassured ourselves with how much better dealing with this quibble is than any possible November 18th, 2008 with a President-elect McCain would be), but a few final points.
    4. “Kicking to the curb” is harder than just a caucus vote once the positions are established (I believe it then takes a full Senate vote).
    5. I’d be more comfortable if it truly were just a ceremonial post and not a job with important oversight where Lieberman already has a track record of world historical suckage which galls in particular with respect to
    5a. it’s role in oversight of the municipal government of DC which responsibility Joe and his Repub cronies have treated with utter contempt.

29. 3. Obama wises up and kicks Lieberman to the curb

AFAIK, that would require a new organizing vote before the full Senate.  Forty-two Dems demonstrated they love the taste of Lieberman ass; you think Senate Republicans are going to help the remainder kick him out of the chairmanship?  This sticks until 2011.

On the other hand, comment 57 in this post offers a positive solution.  If Lieberman were to somehow find himself stricken with severe scurvy, I can offer the perfect replacement.  A Connecticut citizen, born on November 5th (we can fudge the Constitutional requirements, just like for the Kenyan-born President-elect).  Short, balding, throws a fit when he’s not getting what he wants, and subject to explosive production of poop, followed by a smug expression.  Many people wouldn’t even notice the difference.  And his first sight after Mom and Dad was a nurse wearing a “Nurses for Obama” button, so he’s already imprinted on the Cadre.  So may I present Senator mdslet for your consideration?  Time to call in that marker from Governor Rell.

30. I for one celebrate the arrival of our new Senator mdslet overlord!  Congratulations to mds and Mr. mds!  The new era has officially begun!

31. Just looked at that photo really hard for the first time. With him being the Emperor and all that couldn’t he have gotten his teeth fixed?

32. what he wants, and subject to explosive production of poop, followed by a smug expression.  Many people wouldn’t even notice the difference.  And his first sight after Mom and Dad was a nurse wearing

Posted by Cheap Evening Dresses  on  04/12  at  07:56 AM