All My Internet Friends

It’s 6:30 am as I’m sitting down to type this, and I’m awake only because I went to bed nice and early after last night’s Tang Soo Do class with Jamie.  And guess what?  The phone rings! It’s the State College Area School District, letting me know that there will be no school today.  Presumably because the roads are sheathed in ice or something.  Apparently some people have a problem with that.

And that means it’s a good time to hear some Music By My Friends.

Those of you who have been reading this blog for untold years upon years will surely remember the name of Amanda French, one of the wittiest commenters in what has been, since 1985, a most entertaining comment section.  Yes, well, you knew she was smart and quick with a villanelle just when a hundred-comment-thread needs one most.  But you didn’t know she could write songs and sing ‘em, now, did you?

The song is called “All My Internet Friends,” which is one of the reasons this post is titled “All My Internet Friends.” You can even click on “lyrics” on the “All My Internet Friends” web page and find out what all the lyrics are.  My, this Inter-net is an amazing thing.  And I would be lying—badly, sure, but what did you expect?—if I said that I don’t know exactly what structure of feeling Amanda’s singing about here.  Which is to say, a little less convolutedly, that I am often very grateful for my Internet friends.

So if you have Internet friends and you like them and they’re kind to you in an Internetty kind of way, why don’t you send this song to them?  That way it can go all around the length and breadth of the Internets and Amanda can become deservedly famous as the person who summed up in four minutes and a sinuous, inventive melody just why it is that we treasure our Internet friends.  And don’t worry about Amanda’s royalties!  Like the song says, “all my internet friends give things away/ They just really like to make stuff even when it doesn’t pay.”

And lest we forget our pre-Internet friends on an icy wintry day:  I know I’ve plugged this guy and his music before, but my old friend Larry Gallagher’s “Disappointment Slough” is a lovely little Nick Drake-y tune that sums up in four minutes and a sinuous, inventive melody all of life and longing.  With nice harmonies.  Though if you prefer Teh Funny, there’s always Larry’s magnum (two-minute) opus, “Ode to the Nokia Ringtone,” now available on a YouTube near you.

1. SNOW DAY!  (or “ice day” as the case may be).  I remember just how great that was when I was a kid.  Now it just means that getting to work will suck even more than it usually does.  Here in Odious Coleman-land there are several inches of snow on the ground.

This Inter-net thing is still confusing to me. The only thing I can think of is that there must still be some traditions of which I am unaware.  Is “You-tube” a “tube” in a Ted Stevens kinda way?

captcha “program” as in, I am still getting with it

2. Francisco Tarrega (more formally known as Francisco de Asís Tárrega y Eixea, 1852-1909) is sometimes called the “father of the modern classical guitar.” Tarrega also composed some of the pieces best known for the guitar today, including “Recuerdos de la Alhambra.” Amusingly, however, Tarrega is responsible for the most widely used cellphone ringtone, the default ringtone for most Nokia phones. Obviously he didn’t intend for it to be used as a ringtone: it’s from his “Gran Vals,” instead.

3. Send “Cell Phones Ringing (In The Pockets Of The Dead)” Ringtone to Cell Phone

Click if you dare.

4. Good song.  Perhaps I should get that amateur book of poems for children that I wrote dusted off—I’ve never been satisfied with the picture quality, but I should just get it out the door to various Internet people already.

Posted by Rich Puchalsky  on  12/11  at  04:18 PM
  5. I’d like to hear a haunting and beautiful rendition of “Everbody was Tang Soo Da Fighting.” It would make for a lovely video too, I’m sure.

Are you bogarting that Dryden piece for a reason? It’s a great book, and I’m waiting anxiously to hear your take on it. Look, I’m up to my knees in blue books. There’s a stack of papers on bioethics coming in tomorrow. I need diversion. (Hope you are feeing better.)

6. Rich:  definitely, dude.  In fact, I thought of you—and of you FedExing those copies to the blogger session at the 2006 MLA—while listening to Amanda’s work.  So that’s a sign right there.

Chris:  what Dryden piece?  You mean the play All for Love?  Or the essay on hockey I just submitted to one of those dead-tree outfits?

7. The essay on hockey, of course. Hopefully you have answered the most profound NHL question of them all in this essay: Why can’t the Rangers score?  I need to read something good soon. Last night I graded an essay on George Hamilton’s contributions to The Federalist Papers. Apparently, he took some time off from the tanning competitions of 1787 to write. That my head did not explode or detach itself from my neck and run out into the dark night looking for small animals to kill is a sign of growing maturity on my part.

8. Why can’t the Rangers score?

Well, Chris, I think this guy summed it up best when he quoted some guy saying, “We need Plaxico on this team! At least you know he shoots!”

OK, I laughed out loud, my internet (and also real-space) friend.  If only there were a shorthand way of saying that!

9. Great info, thanks

Posted by Tamagotchi Town  on  12/18  at  09:58 AM
  10. So winter has officially begun in remote central Pennsylvania, and Jamie will be home all day.  Only four more months of this before the thaw!

Posted by Movies  on  01/04  at  05:48 PM
  11. Hm, not bad. Love their lyrics.

Posted by indi  on  01/20  at  04:49 PM
  12. This change in season can be watched by people only in this part of the globe. There are people who cannot really get the feel of this just because they cannot see it happen! Lucky people are those who live here I would say!
    Regards, DcrDetox

Posted by detox  on  01/21  at  04:39 AM
  13. Thanks, Very interesting read, I’ve been really enjoying checking up your posts from time to time. Looking forward to see your future posts smile.

Posted by Computers Software  on  02/10  at  06:40 AM

Next entry: ABF Friday: Flying Home Edition!

Previous entry: Popcorn time!