More current events

But first more good stuff on Gaza, in two very different registers.

Oh, and don’t forget to vote for me in the 2008 Wizbang Weblog Awards! I’m nominated in the category, “Most Desultory Blogger With A Technorati Authority Ranking Between 700 and 800 and a NYC Metropolitan Transportation Authority Ranking Between 1540 and 1560.”

And in real life, I’m frantically revising (yet again!) an unwieldy manuscript and fighting off a cold and recovering from the fact that yesterday was yet another “snow day” and seeing a physical therapist for the ligament I tore in my elbow.  In my elbow!  I’ll be back next week or thereabouts with real posts about important things—things like karaoke and hockey and paternalism and unfathomably bad movies and just-barely-tolerable songs.  But I gotta get some dead-tree writing done while the year is still young.

In the meantime, I hear there is a foot-ball contest of some kind this evening.  But if 2008 proved nothing else, other than the trivial bits about the collapse of the global financial system and the election of America’s first black president, it’s that college football needs a three-round playoff system involving the top eight teams.  That way, when Utah becomes national champion after defeating Texas Tech 23-17 in the final (after each school has defeated Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, USC, Florida, and Penn State in the first two rounds), everyone can complain about how arbitrary the system is, just as they will when the Chargers face off against the Cardinals in the Super Bowl next month.

1. Karaoke AND hockey?  Is that like Chessboxing?

2. Oh no, when the Chargers and Cardinals play in the Super Bowl, I will be wildly happy. It will make New England fans so upset. So very upset that I will be so very happy.

3. Remember: while the connection between the torso and a limb has a ball-and-socket joint, the next limb out is a hinge joint. Those can only swing in one dimension, no matter how much your hindbrain assures you that’s a mind-dependent statement. It’s a different dimension, incidentally, from the joint that a certain Ottawa Senator used to get his calcium into an opponent.

Now, we who live south of the savage Northerners won’t engage in that brutality, even in presidential campaigns. Though to be honest, I would have had some entertainment seeing Mike Gravel and Ron Paul go after each other con los dientes.

Posted by Sherman Dorn  on  01/08  at  12:05 PM
  4. Chargers/Cardinals???

I’m thinking Ravens/Giants is a bit more realistic.

e.

captcha “attack” as in the way the Ravens attacked the Dolphins last week.

5. I’m thinking Ravens/Giants is a bit more realistic.

Right, and I thought Alabama would crush Utah like a bug.  Playoffs are funny things, is what I’m saying.

6. I guess that’s why they play the games.

7. I hear the San Jose Sharks are lobbying for a BCS-type system rather than playoffs in the NHL. You know, so they can finally lose the big one.

8. In the meantime, I hear there is a foot-ball contest of some kind this evening.

Yep.  I’ve been wearing my University of Oklahoma Sooners shirt all day in preparation.  Boomer Sooner!

Word.  Because even after the Sooners crush the Gators tonight, there will still be a cloud over their title because of a silly little loss, 2 MONTHS AGO--which is like forever in college footbal—to Texas.

One of my best friends is a Gator.  She and I and her best friend (also a Gator) plan to spend the down time during the game taunting each other on AIM.  All three husbands are laughing at us and doing something else.

MKK

9. Oh, right.  Interesting thing about that 3 way taunting during The Game. Eve lives in Florida; I live in Seattle; and Janice lives in Melbourne, Australia.  I love living in the future.

MKK

10. my blog skippy actually is a finalist for best large blog authority between 301 - 500, whatever the hell that means.

i urge to vote in this category...i don’t care if you vote for skippy, as long as you vote for one of the other lefty blogs.  so far the abhorrent rightist blog jammie wearing fool is waaaaaaaaay ahead.  by more than a thousand votes.  go vote.

oh ok, i lied, vote for me.

Posted by skippy  on  01/09  at  02:12 AM
  11. I’ve lately considered returning to alternative-med school and specializing in elbonics, so perhaps this is a Sign.

But try to limit those collateral tree casualties, MB.  After all, lignin grows much more slowly than ‘net capacity.

12. The NHL could move to a BCS system, JP, and the Sharks would disqualify themselves by losing a crucial mid-season matchup against the Islanders.  I wonder who’ll beat them in the second round this year. . . .

Mary Kay, I’m sorry about your Sooners.  They looked so good in the first half!  Except inside the ten yard line, that is.  Interesting decision to forego three points in a 7-7 tie—I imagine they thought they could push around the Gators’ defensive line at will.  Yes, I took a break from ms-revisin’ and watched the thing, even though it held about as much interest for me as a dodgeball championship televised on The Ocho.

And Romy, I can’t endorse your desire to specialize in elbonics.  If we don’t raise our children to speak proper English, the entire global economy might falter—and we can’t have that.

13. I was going to major in elbonics, but didn’t have quite the right linguisto-biomechanical bent.

Posted by jazzbumpa  on  01/09  at  10:17 AM
  14. I was neutral on the FL/OK game until I saw the “John 3.16” written on Tebow’s greasepaint under his eyes.

15. Yeah, Elliot, Tebow is on the God Squad but counterbalancing that was the dirty play of the OU player who deliberately twisted Harvin’s ankle.  Tough to root for either team.

16. Mary Kay, I’m sorry about your Sooners.  They looked so good in the first half!  Except inside the ten yard line, that is.  Interesting decision to forego three points in a 7-7 tie—I imagine they thought they could push around the Gators’ defensive line at will.

Thanks Michael. I’m pretty disappointed, but still they had a really good year.

I imagine they did think that since they’ve done that to every other team they’ve played this year.  I don’t think they were denied at all once they were in the red zone all year.  They did, after all, set a new NCAA record for most points scored in a season, more than 700.

Also, that decsion came in the first half when there was still a lot of time left to play—I fully agreed with it.  (Which must make Bob Stoops very happy.) I don’t think anyone expected to see such a low scoring game from 2 scoring powerhouses.  It was a night of defense and, ultimately, Florida’s defense turned in a better game.  One of Florida’s players remarked before the game that Oklahoma hadn’t played against their defense yet—which turned out to be quite a prescient remark.

Edward—I don’t know that that actually happened though the playback did look bad.  And even if he did, I wouldn’t tar the entire team for actions of one person.  Bob Stoops is not that kind of coach.

MKK

17. the Sharks would disqualify themselves by losing a crucial mid-season matchup against the Islanders.

Probably right. Maybe even managing to lose 5-3 after leading 3-0 or something like that. Nah, that wouldn’t happen to a playoff-caliber team.

18. Well, I understand that Tebow and his family do all this good missionary work among the poor.  But I’m pretty tired of seeing “John 3:16” from these people all the time.  Just once, I’d like to see a player festoon his body with ”Leviticus 18:22.” Because that would kind of clarify matters.

19. Thanks for that link, Michael.  Lots of “thou shalt not uncover nakedness” in there.  As with any list of “thou shalt nots” the drafters ran the risk of implicitly allowing anything not mentioned (just sayin’wink.  I was especially taken by Lev. 18:21.  “And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech.” I’m pretty sure that’s what they call a “euphemism.”

20. How in the heck did I put that face in there?  Sorry about that.

21. Just requesting some quick clarification on Lev 18:23. Would a turtle be considered a “beast”?

22. Edward tmsg - Lev 18:21 prohibits child sacrifice.  At least, that’s how Josephus understood it.

23. I searched and searched for the blog category “Best Blog Entitled ‘Strange Doctrines’ with an Author Named Michael Drake.” Looks like I got the shaft again.

Posted by Michael Drake  on  01/09  at  06:07 PM
  24. Having watched a hockey game with gobsmacked attention, my four year old son announced that he too wanted to ski and play golf at the same time. That’s the college scholarship all locked up.

More on hockey please. My family could use the help.

25. Well, THAT takes all the fun out of it.

26. Well glad that it’s understood that everyone turns on the important sports events to learn the theological leanings of the various star players.  I’m just waiting until one of them has the integrity to point out “Ezekhial 23:20”, since the whole book is inerrent, and thus every verse is of equal value.

I have to wonder what Biblical messages Roger Federer and Raphael Nadal will be wearing during the Aussi Open later this month.  Or perhaps other people, you know, those who live overseas, regard sporting event as having something to do about sport, and not evangalizing for the one true faith.

My captch is ‘meaning’.  Go find that in what I’ve written.

27. Or perhaps other people, you know, those who live overseas, regard sporting event as having something to do about sport, and not evangalizing for the one true faith.

28. "These would be people in Othercountriestan?  No kidding!  They have sports there?  And if the athletes don’t profess their faith and thank Jesus after each achievement, how does God know which one to root for?”

Well, every religion claims to be the “one true faith,” so maybe Othercountriestan isn’t into the J.C.  Somehow I can’t even picture Roger Federer at the Vatican in Swiss Guard attire.  But if we get a bit more expansive about religion and put the “judeo” back in judeo-christian, perhaps we could find a sport or pastime across the pond that IS about religion.  Wait!!  I know!!! How about mosque-bombing?!?  Maybe that doesn’t count as uniquely Othercountriestanian since America is really good at that too…

Posted by Derek T.  on  01/10  at  01:13 PM
  29. everyone can complain about how arbitrary the system is, just as they will when the Chargers face off against the Cardinals in the Super Bowl next month

Thank you for that. One day I’d like to see a dangeral studies dissertation, or maybe a student documentary film project, on what mass hysteria produced the twin delusions that 1) our lives are incompete without a definitive college football champion each year and 2) a playoff will produce a definitive college football champion each year.

Next entry: Every day is a snow day

Previous entry: Current events