Jai ho!

I’m off to do some real work again, and I won’t be back until Thursday.  I hope to have a nice surprise for you all tomorrow, though—a parody guest-blogger whose groundbreaking work on Barack Obama is truly breaking new ground.  In the meantime, I’d just like to point out that if a furren song like “Jai Ho” can beat a good American song like “Down to Earth” that uses real English words, then clearly this famous chart needs to be updated so that it goes past 100.  Welcome to the Obama Era!  I do hope somebody over at Big Hollywood noticed that A. R. Rahman spoke of “the power of hope” in his brief but pointed acceptance speech, because that was code.  Code for what?  Oh, like I’d tell you here.

1. hi ho hi ho its off to work we go…

2. If by “good American” you mean “white,” then I guess Peter Gabriel qualifies.

3. SELLOUT!

Posted by KMTBERRY  on  02/23  at  04:42 PM
  4. I know, I know, I said I’d do that two-week stand in Vegas but I’d never play Williams.  What can I tell you?  Times are tough all over.

If by “good American” you mean “white”

There’s another definition?

5. Eliot, you took the words out of my mouth. Now, if we could just get those dwarfs from “Spinal Tap” to do the dance we’d be all set.

6. There’s another definition?

I was hoping for one that excludes Peter Gabriel, but if letting him in is what it takes to keep this a decent country where decent people can raise their decent children decently, it’s a price I’m guardedly willing to pay.

7. On the topic of speeches, Real ("decent") Americans, and silly charts, for as much as Sarah Palin represents so much of what is wrong with this country, I do have to give her credit for inspiring what could very well be the greatest chart (so far) of the <a href="http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/10/the-palin-debat.html>21st century</a>. It just never stops being funny, no matter how many times I’ve seen it.

8. Sorry, preview button not working on this computer. Here’s the link:

9. That is indeed a chart for the ages.  And while we’re associating stuff with stuff, I’m struck at how efficient this one is, even though it’s not nearly as funny.

10. When (and if) the Chairman for Life has a moment to spare, the Minister of Justice would be most greatful for an editorial fix of her comment with the html error, and the associated comments.

captcha: asked. OK, this is getting creepy.

11. I do hope somebody over at Big Hollywood noticed that A. R. Rahman spoke of “the power of hope” in his brief but pointed acceptance speech, because that was code.

Unless he had notable breasts or kissed a dude, probably not.

12. Wow, JP, that was eye-opening.  Ever noticed how Republican and Repressed begin the same?!?

And I thought at first that “Jai Ho” was “Jibe Ho,” you know when the boom of a sailboat swings (often violently) from RIGHT to LEFT.

...actually it could swing either way, but then my metaphor wouldn’t have worked--also I didn’t want one of those Repressedicans at Big Hollywood to make a snarky comment about swinging both ways.

Posted by Derek T.  on  02/24  at  01:22 AM
  13. Now i may be way off base here, but the extended musical numbers that previewed the best song Oscar, either mimicked Bollywood stylings, or further stressed that Bollywood was nothing more than 30s and 40s Hollywood musicals gussied up to grand mythic proportions, which were inspired by the genre of Gilbert and some other dudes?  Jai Ho seems to “when you’re a Jet” in retrospect (oh wait, they did that mash didn’t they?).  And that in turn is nothing more than re-hashed Shakespeare, traditional legends and sagas, spawned from ancient myths.  Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White are common throughout the world in old myths; so is it a wonder we can, in the 21st century, mash them up all together on one stage at one time and play it out to the whole world??

14. that was eye-opening

Yes, like one of the commenters over there, at first I assumed he was doing the “shorter than” thing and probably being unfair about it. But no, they were verbatim.

15. What is the “shorter than” thing?  Is that some kind of Internet tradition?

16. Is that some kind of Internet tradition?

Not that I’m aware of.

17. shorter than as in the world’s shortest professional drum lesson (to wit):

Drummer Louie Bellson, whom Duke Ellington called “the world’s greatest musician,” died. Bellson once recalled the advice of tenor-saxophone legend Lester Young, who helped him learn to play bebop: “‘Lou, just play titty-bop, titty-bop, and don’t drop no bombs.’”

Read?? (captcha) As in who needs to “read” music???

18. Hmmm, sounds like Prez haden’t gotten the word about the WAAGNFNP.

19. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this! You are bookmarked!