Good news!

Responding to ESPN.com commentator Scott Burnside’s scathing criticism of general manager Glen Sather, the New York Rangers announced today that they would be firing Sather and replacing him with Fred Hiatt of the Washington Post.  “No one could have predicted that the Wade Redden deal would be such a bust,” said a Rangers spokesman.  “But in Hiatt we have finally found someone who knows how to spot talent and grow a franchise.”

More great news at the place where no straight thing was ever made.

1. That is great news! I hope eventually we can also take the train to Florida, or maybe California, and get some sand in our shoes.

2. For a second there I thought you were announcing that John Hiatt was replacing Glen Sather and I thought that a maverick move (just reappropriating the word “maverick"). You don’t just replace a genius like Glenn Sather blithely. You have to really have to search far and wide to find someone with a unique array of talents that match Sather’s. Dolan’s criterion of finding the one person in America who still believes Bush did not use deception to justify the preemptive strike against Iraq is brilliant. It’s this kind of thinking that will lead the Rangers to the Stanley Cup one more time before my own death on September 4th, 2024. As an aside, rumor has it that the light rail system that you had installed at your house will be connected to the “Love Train” line. I just knew there was more to the whole lingo of stimulus packages than mere economics.

3. Hush you about that light rail!  In the comments thread at CT, one C. L. Ball has already pwned me badly by disclosing that Obama’s budget really does provide $8 billion for HSR.  If he finds out about my personal interest in all this, my high-speed, light-rail goose is cooked.

As for Hiatt, just you wait!  We’re going to surge into the playoffs after all.

4. Raivo Pommer

IKB Krise

Die Finanz- und Wirtschaftskrise werden nach Einschätzung des Vorstandes die IKB weiter belasten und zu großen Ergebnisschwankungen führen. Das gelte sowohl für die Bewertung von Positionen als auch für das Kerngeschäft. Im dritten Quartal des Geschäftsjahres 2008/09 (Oktober bis Dezember 2008) standen unter dem Strich 245 Millionen Euro Verlust.

Darin hätten sich neben der noch nicht abschließend bewältigten Krise, in die die Bank Mitte 2007 geriet, vor allem die Turbulenzen an den Finanzmärkten nach dem Konkurs von Lehman Brothers ausgewirkt. Die Finanz- und Wirtschaftskrise hätten auch im Januar und Februar das Geschäft geprägt. Der Vorstand erwartet kurzfristig einen Anstieg der Insolvenzen und damit auch der Kreditausfälle.

Für die ersten neun Monate des Geschäftsjahres 2008/09 weist der IKB-Konzern einen kleinen Gewinn von 5,8 Millionen Euro aus. Ohne die Auflösung von Steuerrückstellungen hätte die IKB aber rote Zahlen geschrieben. Der operative Verlust belief sich auf 213,6 Millionen Euro.

5. My dear respected michaelberubeonline.com,

I have to write you this few words, as presently I do not have a choice but to be a blessing to you and to the dangerial in other countries as I have always wished.

It’s with tears and agues that I write this comment blog from my dumpster of refuse in an alley in Manhattan, US, NY. I believe you have never met such a condition before. I’m sorry to bother you with my pains. But I can’t keep quiet because I have a strong feelings I’m going to die soon through this sprezzatura syndrome as indicated by my doctor three days ago.

I have been a widow since the past two years, but before my husband died we both had a vision coverage. I would like to express send to you the sum of fifty thousand (46,0000) contact lenses.

I don’t know if I can TRUST you as I have been praying over this issue for the past one month, to entrust this huge amount of or funds in your hands for the welfare of the dangerousal. But if for any reason you find my mail offensive, you can ignore it and please just hit delete the button.

Posted by Sometimes I live in the country  on  03/04  at  07:14 PM
  6. Dear Sometimes,

Have you read my book Life As We Know It?  The critics say, “Michael Berube’ Time; As he has known, s 2nd son Jamie being born and doing life of the down symptom. Suddenly, it asked a question summary to the scholar who succeeds, the author was pushed out approximately to think before the directly that, while using even excessively, is. But as for Berube him and that wife as their sons this how knowing the person where the extent which is surprised is new whether it came, the individual like their other sons at the present place which is informed who, to the world, the individual who is not there was a syndrome itself. As for Berube Jamie’ It is scattered the story; society’ The development of s of critical viewpoint; Failure of the American health care, the response of s to argument of the problem like the society of insufficiency, and eugenics and priority gives to the allotment because of the disability.” If this sounds enticing to you, let me know and I will send you eight (12) copies in return for those contact lenses.

7. I note with interest [captcha] the imminent arrival of Sean Avery. That’ll do wonders for dispelling any tension in the room…

Posted by Nell  on  03/05  at  07:42 AM
  8. Burnside on Sather: even a broken clock figures out the Rangers are doomed twice a decade.

I’ll bet he still picks them over the Devils in the first round of the playoffs.

Posted by Ken Houghton  on  03/05  at  02:35 PM
  9. Well, picking the Rangers over the Devils usually works out, doesn’t it?

10. No one could have predicted that the Wade Redden deal would be such a bust…

Posted by frugal living  on  04/15  at  02:41 AM

Next entry: Deep thoughts in deep doo-doo

Previous entry: Going John Galt