Other priorities

Oh, all right, I suppose this blog can’t be all hockey playoffs all the time.  I have a nice long Internets-breaking post in progress, and will post it before I leave for Halifax and Marlboro.  But I’m not going to post it today, because I have other priorities!  Instead I’ll simply offer you this morsel from non-hockey action last night. You’ve probably seen it already on one of those big blogs, or maybe even on the teevee device itself, but what the hell.  It is enjoyable in places.

Much as I like the idea of Cheney shutting up and going home, I have to say it’s only my third favorite option.  Number two is Cheney mouthing off continually and offering to demonstrate his own personal enhanced-interrogation techniques on the hosts of the Sunday morning shows, and number one is Cheney being hustled off to the International Criminal Court.  My friends on the left remind me that the International Criminal Court will only be a truly international criminal court when it finds itself with an American war criminal in the dock.  Well, now seems like a good time for that.

h/t Firedoglake.

Update:  Lawrence Wilkerson follows up with a most compelling guest-post at TPM Cafe.

1. You’d think Cheney would go a little easier on obama since he’s basically told him and George not to worry, he’s got their back about all this torture stuff, so chill out. I know if I had done something morally reprehensible and had been told by the sitting President that I wouldn’t be prosecuted for it, I’d talk about the man as if he shat gold plated turds and bottomless oil wells sprung up in his footprints.

Posted by Keith  on  05/13  at  01:32 PM
  2. I’m a bit “meh” about the whole Rush Limbaugh vs. Colin Powell thing myself, as the latter might himself conceivably want to avoid much Hague tourism, due to a certain UN Security Council presentation way back in aught ‘03. Dominican sex tourism, Oxycontin addiction and general assholery aren’t really on the same level if you ask me. But what do I know? As a deconstructionist, I’m not allowed to make value judgments, or so I learned last week.

Captcha, and I kid you not, is “friends” as in “with these kind, who needs enemies?”

Posted by John Protevi  on  05/13  at  03:00 PM
  3. number one is Pens win and Cheney being hustled off to the International Criminal Court

Fixed.

4. Having said all that, let me add that I have a theory, and my theory, which is mine, would explain the aught ‘03 affair. My theory is that Colin Powell traded his Iraq UN testimony for the promise that Syria and Iran would not be next on the list. That is my theory, which is mine.

Captcha, and I am also not making this up, is “word,” as in “up.”

Posted by John Protevi  on  05/13  at  03:07 PM
  5. Two tours in ‘Nam vs five deferments, big deal.

How many attorneys has Colin Powell peppered with buck shot?

6. How many attorneys has Colin Powell peppered with buck shot?

And then forced the shootee to apologize?  Because that’s the best part.

And Keith, has it occurred to you that maybe Cheney doesn’t want Obama to have his back about all this torture stuff?  That he actually would prefer to be punished?  It’s a cry for help!

John, my theory is that Colin Powell traded his UN testimony for his immortal soul.  But you deconstructionists don’t believe in the immortal soul, do you now.

JP, what are these “Pens” you speak of?  (Though yes, this series is up there with NYR-NJD 1994 and MTL-CHI 1971.)

7. my theory is that Colin Powell traded his UN testimony for his immortal soul.

Damn (ha!), that ole debbil Beelzebub drives a hard bargain! Usually one trades his or her (PC instincts die hard) immortal soul for something beneficial in the short run. At least Faustus got a kiss from sweet Helen, whose face topped the topless towers of Ilium. What did Powell get? A peck on the cheek from Laura, whose face once adorned a Texas Rangers program?

Captcha, “world,” as in “had we time enough and”

Posted by John Protevi  on  05/13  at  04:35 PM
  8. Don’t worry. Some True American corporation will name Dickie boy CEO soon enough. You just watch.

capcha “been” as in been there done that

9. My fantasy ending is for Cheney to be a contestant on The Apprentice and be the first one to get fired.  Either that or American Idol, enduring the scorn of Simon Cowell.

10. International Criminal Court would be appropriate, and would certainly strengthen its credentials by putting an American official in the dock. Still, I can’t help thinking that our very own authorities--a special committee of both houses of Congress, maybe, followed by a Federal grand jury--should get first crack. I admire Baltasar Garzòn a lot but I’d hate to think we could only see justice done if he’s got sole responsibility for doing it.

11. number one is Cheney being hustled off to the International Criminal Court.

Alright, as long as the tumbril includes Bushco hisself, Condi Rice, Rummy, Colin, Rove, and like all the senators--especially biggies like Hillary, Kerry, and DiFi (her man Blum has pocketed more from IWE contracting than Cheney or Billary)--and congresspersons who voted for IWE, PatAct, FISA, more funding, etc.  with about as much exposure to the info. as cabinet cronies had.  Consistency matters to the
    ~(deconstructionist).

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  05/13  at  06:57 PM
  12. I think Michael is “inflaming anti-US opinion” by posting this video, endangering national security. Outrageous! (Captcha: “term”, as in “it’s still not over”.)

13. Former President and first dude of State Bill Clinton “laughed off” Cheney’s attacks:

“I wish him well,” Clinton told CNN while greeting voters after a campaign stop with Virginia gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe. “It’s over,” he added, apparently a reference to the Bush administration. “But I do hope he gets some more target practice before he goes out again,” Clinton said with a grin before moving along the ropeline.

14. 3: Halfway there.

15. My fantasy ending is for Cheney to be a contestant on The Apprentice and be the first one to get fired.

Well one advantage to coming so late to the thread is you can declare a winner. And so I do: Miracle Max wins the thread. Game over.