Theory Thursday

The political unconscious is structured like a mortgage.

1. The Prison-House is Under Water: Foreclosure as a Socially Symbolic Act.

2. Sorry, best I could free associate on short notice and I’ve always wanted to post first.

3. Pretty damn good, I think.  But remember:  free association isn’t free.

4. Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose but their chains.

5. This post is way too long. I can’t be bothered to wade through the mud, let me just say it shows that Michael didn’t appreciate the “clear writing” course as an undergrad.

6. I know, I know, I should have dropped the definite and indefinite articles.  My bad.

7. Candy, christian h.  You need candy in there somewhere.

Anyway, who’s up for a Beer and Speeches party?  I should warn you that there’s a cover charge.

8. And there have been so many bad ones the whole system is collapsing.

Posted by Arthur D. Hlavaty  on  05/21  at  02:19 PM
  9. hugo obama
    no prepayment penalty
    five point three percent

10. Yeah but Elliot, Obama is clearly an ARM and the reset’s been quite brutal.

11. Jameson-like Obfuscation, Inc. part of the problem, though at least he avoids the Seinfeld routines of most cyber leftists.  Anyway, Bill Clinton signed off on Gramm-Gingrich plans to dismantle the last of the New Deal regs, did he not?  The booj-wah’s bipartisan, MB, though the zombies of Kos & Co haven’t yet realized that.

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  05/21  at  03:29 PM
  12. tl; dr

13. christian,

nothing like the “interest only” GWB/RR mortgages however with their negative amortization and all that.....

e.

14. Our Host has been upstaged as the world’s best-known ginormous disembodied head.  I’m sure everyone will be overjoyed or dismayed, or both.

15. It’s the balloon payment that gets you.

16. the political unconscious is structured like a mortgage

and republican thought is entirely established (and just as vaulable, in the long run) as mortgage-based securities.

Posted by skippy  on  05/21  at  11:33 PM
  17. the political unconscious is structured like a mortgage

We are all Fannie and Freddie now.

Posted by John Protevi  on  05/22  at  12:34 AM
  18. Will the complete sub-prime-mersion of the entire left coast, drowing as it is in red ink (squidward-terminated-based) and rising climate seas, raise or lower the rate by which the right coast mortgages its own future?  Film at Eleven!

And finally tonight, the question on everyone’s mind might be which mid-continental region will become the Xtian Fascist Evangelical State of the Americas, Colorado, Kansas, or Texas???

captcha is “same” as in it ever was.

19. the political unconscious is structured like a mortgage

Mostly liars loans. Mine is no interest.

Captcha: note. A hard working, versatile word.

20. I’m just glad the Lacanians didn’t jump all over this thread.  I hate it when that happens.  Have you actually READ Lacan?  READ HIM!!! Worst of all are those clean-cut poststructuralist psychoanalytical types who go door to door with copies of Écrits asking if they can talk to you about the ideal-I and the splitting of the subject.  Those guys creep me out.

21. which mid-continental region will become the Xtian Fascist Evangelical State of the Americas, Colorado, Kansas, or Texas???

Easy.  Texas-Oklahoma will be the nucleus.  Ever-bluer Colorado will resist water-motivated incursions for a while, only to be betrayed by the US Air Force in Colorado Springs, which bombs the civilian government in the name of Jesus.

Meanwhile, Kansas becomes a fundegelical state in all but name, while continuing to sponge off the US government.  No one notices a difference.

Good morning, everyone!

22. L = T - V.

Oh, wait, Lacanian.  Never mind.

23. I suppose it’s the wrong branch of theory – protoscopy repeats hagiography – but, hey! it’s all text.

Captcha: Permit required

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  05/22  at  09:17 AM
  24. Whoop! That’s “proctoscopy.”

25. Actually, it is structured more like a hot dog.

26. Chairman BO agreed to the Bailout, and thus to providing corporate welfare to mortgage biz.  Pelosicrats didn’t do squat about the Fan/Fred problems anyway, even though they had sufficient power in 2006, if not 2004. And lest we forget Clinton agreed like ‘98 to the GrammGOP De-reg schemes, allowing swaps, speculation with securities, etc. (Even Reagan did not do so).

So BO agrees to tacit assumptions of the corporate demopublican unconscious, really, which is to say ye olde Usura.  (Guar-ann-teeeed, Snark-free (und auch Lacano-Pomo-frei)).

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  05/22  at  02:14 PM
  27. There is no underlying asset—it’s securitization all the way down.

28. Alternatives to pinche passivization:

The political unconscious possesses a structure like a mortgage.

The political unconscious displays a mortgage-like structure.

Unto a Mortgage does the structure of the political unconscious resemble.

The political unconscious unfolds structurally, in the forms of a mortgage.

...........

captcha death, as in parrot

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  05/22  at  05:02 PM
  29. he’s not dead he’s sleeping.

capcha “trouble” as right here in river city

30. I have heard tales of mortgages, but having no first-hand experience with one (or it, or them), must j’accuse meself.

31. If I had a mortgage, I’d pay it in the morning,
    Refinance in the evening, all over this bank . . .

WV: terms.  You can’t make this stuff up.

Posted by jazzbumpa  on  05/22  at  11:01 PM
  32. In the spirit of fb, “like”.

33. Subdivided and repackaged into tranches, sold off to 3rd, 4th, and 5th parties who’ve been misled about the relative risk properties of said tranches, racking up collateral fees and making some actors wealthy while quietly ticking away… Analogized to the place of i.e. abortion, gun rights, torture, etc in partisan politics - makes sense to me.

Posted by adamhenne  on  05/23  at  12:02 PM