Ain’t too proud to bleg

When the puck drops tonight I’ll be somewhere in the air between Philadelphia and Portland, Oregon, far from any electronical device that might enable me to watch game 4.  Since this is the game that will determine the tenor of the series, damn.  Damn damn damn.  So please feel free—those of you who plan to catch the game—to use this thread to let me know how the game is going.  I’ll catch les faits saillants on nhl.com around 10 pm Pacific time, of course, but if any of you want to provide liveblogging coverage, I’d really appreciate it, because reading through real-time blog commentary on games is lots of fun.  For me, that is.  Jazzbumpa, I’m looking to you to catch the Penguins putting seven, eight, even nine guys on the ice, and JP Stormcrow, I hope you can balance out the commentary by pointing out the Red Wings’ innovative use of the pick and roll.

Also, while I’m off at Reed College, I’ll also be missing Jamie’s debut in this.  Damn.  Damn damn damn damn damn and damn.  We just dropped him off at his dorm this morning (!!), and he gets his first taste of statewide competition tomorrow.  Opening ceremonies tonight (Janet will be there with videocam), athletes’ dance is tomorrow night.  Wish Jamie luck, folks!

1. Best of luck to this blog’s resident teen athlete! May his swimming and golf accomplishments be legion and the dance Teh Awesome.

Posted by Orange  on  06/04  at  01:28 PM
  2. I’ll give you the play by play, Michael. Would you post the video of Jamie’s exploits when you get back? As you know, I have big money on Detroit in six. That might color my commentary.

3. I think I’ll leave the hockey liveblogging to others, as my contributions would be something along the lines of:

Pass
    Pass
    Turnover
    Ooh, big hit
    Pass
    Dump
    Line change
    Pass
    Nice pass
    Turnover…

I suspect you’ll want something a little more useful, though I don’t want to jump to any conclusions.

4. P.S. Go Jamie!

5. Go Jamie! Go Pens! Come back, Michael!

Posted by John Protevi  on  06/04  at  02:11 PM
  6. I’ve been told by reliable, if imaginary, sources that if this game determines the tenor of the series, the next one will determine the baritone.

7. Luckwish, Jamie!

What’s this about only having a tenner on the series?  I thought you were more of a sporting man than that, Professor.  Care to make it… interesting?  Loser has to shave off his beard.  Go [surreptitiously double-checks] Detroit!

Oh, and don’t forget Bacchanalia on the Quad* tomorrow afternoon!

Come back, Michael!

Hey, what can he say?  The Muses are calling him back to Reed.  That’s what that Musephone on his desk is for.

*No, seriously.  There’s a poker tournament, too.  Reed College is awesome.

8. I’m more of a basketball guy, so I’m looking forward to tonight when Dwight Howard dunks so hard over Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, and Lamar Odom that he makes them the Three Countertenors of the series.

Good luck, Jamie!

Posted by fsg  on  06/04  at  02:50 PM
  9. All Your Bass Are Belong To Us

10. All Your Bass Are Belong To Us.

The last time I used a certain Italian saying to express admiration for the craft displayed by a commenter’s witticism here, we had a three-week plague visited upon us. So I hope if I just say “ha!” that will work. Better part of valor and all that.

Posted by John Protevi  on  06/04  at  03:28 PM
  11. Here’s my hope that Jamie does everything so well that it looks like something called “luck” might be “on his side.” Or “in his hair.” Or “anyplace which might aid him.”

North Stars in eight! Wait . . . what?

Posted by Jason B.  on  06/04  at  03:54 PM
  12. Good luck, Jamie. You’re a champ!

Posted by Clare  on  06/04  at  04:35 PM
  13. 10: Thanks, I knew the 1,000 other people on Google before me couldn’t be wrong…

Good luck, Jamie.

I’ll try to do some liveblogging, and yeah MB, I’m sure those Red Wings will be in our rink, obstructing our dudes.

14. 174.gif 79.gif

Just to set the mood. (At least they’re of a more discreet size than this Cavs logo I plopped into a thread over at WAAGNFNP once, and what’s MB going to do about it from that airplane, anyway)

15. Best of luck, Jamie. Go get ‘em!

16. Onward Jamie!  I can liveblog my evening class if y’all want some counterpoint.

17. Hmm, those were at one time the Pens’and Red Wings’ logos in 14.

Pens power play goal early in 1st on a not super-obvious penalty. Conspiracy to have Crosby heft the Cup proceeds apace.

18. Hmm, those were at one time the Pens’and Red Wings’ logos in 14.

You’ve managed what’s known as a Reverse Danby.

[Ducks and runs for exit]

19. A few Detroit crank-it-to-11 mini-surges in middle of 1st. One results in their 1st power play. Pens handle it pretty well, but good Red Wing pressure continued afterward. (But Red Wings having some turnovers leading to drama in their zone.)

20. You’ve managed what’s known as a Reverse Danby.

Well, they were just pictures, not scanned text, so no real point to them anyway.

21. Sorry to hear what you’re missing by coming here. (And, GO JAMIE!) We are all waiting for you with bated breath, and we may even have a thunderstorm to make you feel welcome. But I don’t think I’ll live-blog the current one.

Umm, well, some will be waiting with less enthusiasm, having been sent a copy of Rhetorical Occasions for the occasion and, not having read the syllabus carefully, diligently started to read not just chapter 4 on the subject we’re all here for, but the whole book, leading them to wonder why the hell we were supposed to all this stuff about Marxest analysis and all! Moral: even Reedies don’t necessarily read the directions. Or especially Reedies.

22. Yuck, Detroit score on 4 v 4. Well-earned and they continued surging until the end of the period (Other than an uncharacteristic Osgood bobble in last 15 seconds or so.)

I’m even boring myself.

23. Bazz fazz! Pens double-screen Fleury in 1st minute of the 2nd and Stuart scores for Detroit.

But Staal on a great short-handed goal… after Malkin had a great chance on the same power play. Detroit continued surge, but then Malkin/Crosby 2 on 1. YESSS!! Crosby scores. 3-2 Pens.

24. Pens go up 4-2 on goal set up by a couple of beautiful cross-rink passes (Kunitz to Crosby to Kennedy) and then survive a Detroit surge in the last few minutes of the period. They might just want it more tonight, and could hold on if they stay within themselves, don’t get complacent and play to the final whistle.

25. Gaaah.

Pens up 4-2 with odd man rushes and turnovers recurring.

Nice highlight to end the period: Osgood calmly snatching Malkin’s shot on breakaway (stolen puck) at second 0:00.0001

Posted by Nell  on  06/04  at  10:07 PM
  26. Yay.

Pens up 4-2 with odd man rushes and turnovers recurring.

Nice highlight to end the period: Malkin calmly shooting into Osgood’s glove on breakaway (stolen puck) at second 0:00.0001.

(nervous play this period)

27. OK. Pens hang on 4-2. Played a bit too passively for my tastes for most of the period, but came on towards the end. Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too.

28. Oh sure, now you make the early June trip out to Oregon.  Harumph.

Best of luck to Jamie!

29. I’m looking forward to tonight when Dwight Howard dunks so hard over Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, and Lamar Odom that he makes them the Three Countertenors of the series.

Ha! fsg, don’t think nobody here appreciated that wonderful piece of wit combining sports and classical music geekdom. Outstanding! For those of you not quite so geeky, below is a YouTube link to a countertenor singing… with an authentic period instrument ensemble, no less! Vocal kicks in at about 1:16. Now, imagine the Lakers singing like that, after having been dunked into oblivion by Dwight Howard.

OK, so now I need to go and actually check the hockey and basketball scores. I have no idea if the Pens won or how Dwight Howard and the Floridians did.

30. Well, congrats to the Pens. Do we have a series, now? According to espn.com, the basketball game was close until Kobe “took over” in the 4th. Final score not close: 100-75. The Floridas need to do better than that. I suppose I could live with the Lakers winning, but I’d like to see ‘em have to sweat to do it. I want 7 games. christian h. knows what I’m talking about.

captcha: total, as in, 7 games total, both series!

31. I have no idea if the Pens won

You’re welcome.

32. Presumably the puck has landed in Portland by now, despite the thunderstorms.  Must admit that these hockey postings are Greco-Canadian to me… no cable TV access at present, and the last time I actually watched an entire hockey game was ‘way back when the Gipper singlehandedly defeated the Evil Empire in Lake Placid.

Is there a webby spot where these iceshaking events can be observed in real time?  I’m starting to wonder what I’m missing.

Go Jamie, and welcome to Portland, Michael!

33. I thank you all profusely, even though it is now 2:40 AM my time and I should be in bed, or would be, if not for the fact that I realized at the very last minute that I should switch my Friday and Saturday talks at Reed.  So I spent 90 minutes frantically switchin’ them talks, making the first one (formerly the second one) more specialized and the second one (formerly the first one) more generalized.  Which is totally my fault.

I’m only sorry that jazzbumpa and Chris Robinson didn’t do the between-periods Detroitocentric analysis.  But at least there will be a game 6!

34. Hah!  Finally caught Michael right where I want him-- in Pacific Standard Time! Are you up for it, dood?

--Never mind.  Get some sleep.

35. Romy - I think if you go to nhl.com during the game, it will direct you to where to see the game online, if not exactly live, semi-live. The hockey heads around here can probably give you better info on that, though.

I need a little sports fan counseling. Here’s the deal: I have no horse in the hockey finals race, but I’m cheering for the Pens because my friends JP and Michael are. But can I also rationalize cheering for them because they are the underdog? Are they the underdog? Otherwise, I think I’d be cheering for Detroit because of all the economic shit Michigan is enduring, and because Pittsburgh just won the damn Superbowl again this year already, so it’s not like the town is starving for a win. And poor Detroit is still suffering the cosmically incompetent ravages of Matt Millen, and went 0-16 this past season fer god’s sake. Here’s my question: all things considered, who’s the real underdog here, Detroit or Pittsburg? (Not that I’ll jump ship on JP, because I’m also the hardcore loyal type).

36. nhl.com-- who woulda thunk?  Thanks, Oaktown Girl-- I’ll check it out.

OK, definitely signing off and headed for bath/bed now, despite my nocturnal Western proclivities.

37. Must admit that these hockey postings are Greco-Canadian to me…

Hockey played while naked and well-oiled?  Interesting.  Sounds like something Reed College would have at its reunion.

Hah!  Finally caught Michael right where I want him-- in Pacific Standard Time!

Even as Romy B. cackles malevolenty, Michael Bérubé, once again too wily for his old opponent, embraces sweet slumber in Pacific Daylight Time.

38. In Portland, Pacific Daylight Time embraces you!  No, wait, that doesn’t really work.  What I’m trying to say is:  so much for sweet slumber.

39. Oaktown Girl, good points. As for the Lakers-Magic game, it was over at halftime. I guess ESPN is fearing for the ratings so they don’t want us to know that. I’ll see what my Laker-fan lunch buddies have to say about it.

Welcome on the Left Coast, Michael.

40. In Portland, Pacific Daylight Time embraces you!

Ha! What a timezone, eh?!

41. Go Jamie!

42. Oaktown Girl: On cheering for Pens or Detroit.

1) Pens. Objectively the right answer.

2) Pens. The Steelers are the one P’burgh sports team that I have not come to fully embrace. (I know, sucks to be me on that one.) So the Superbowls bring me no solace. The contrary, in fact.

3) However, the Red Wings are my favorite Western Conference team, and probably my 2nd favorite team to watch after the Pens. Actually, I probably like to watch them more in some ways, since I have no emotional investment (when not playing the Pens, of course) in the outcome and can enjoy the skill and flow of their play.

4) I like the Detroit connection in general, but “Hockeytown” is the lame.

5) Mario’s third cup he deserved back in 1993.

I report, you decide.

43. To be fair, epsn’s web page did not specifically say Kobe took over in the 4th. But it did very much lead one to believe that the game was close until the 4th. (A tight series is certainly in their interest). I saw later on the highlights that the Magic were already well behind way before the 4th.

JP, thanks for the report. I was trying to find additional reasons to cheer for the Pens besides you and Michael. It’s very counter intuitive for me to cheer for the Pens, being that they are Pittsburgh. Growing up in the 70’s Oakland, the natural born hatred I harbor for all things sports-related Pittsburgh runs deep because of the Raiders-Steelers blood death rivalry. (And might I add, this year was the second referee-aided Superbowl the Steelers won this century...grumble, grumble).

But you know, penguins are very cute, so I can tack that one on to the Pen’s column. Also, agreed: “Hockey Town” is kinda weak.

captcha: nuclear. Wait, didnt’ W. teach us it was supposed to be noocular?

44. Ugh.  Missed the 1st period, due to my oldest grandson’s Jr Hi band concert.  Grandchildren trump EVERYTHING.  Haven’t read the thread yet, so if there are any jabs, I missed them.

All I can say is that a team with no penalty kill and no power play, who sends badly-cloned dopplegangers out to play the second period does not deserve to win.

Holy Moloch, give me back my Datsyuk!

WV: getting, as in home again, a place such as there is no place like.

Posted by jazzbumpa  on  06/05  at  05:46 PM
  45. I am so pleased that you were at Reed.
    An alumna.

Posted by Hattie  on  06/07  at  02:04 AM
  46. Oh, right, Michael: it’s Pacific Daylight time now.  Immediately prior to your visit it’d been sunny and warm for at least two weeks, and amid this precipitous gray weather I forgot that we’d long since switched to the summer standard.

The Pacific Northwest unfortunately validated its drippy reputation during your visit, and I’m usually at least a couple of months behind the times in any case.  And the temporal adjustment always seems much more difficult after flying westward vs. eastward in my experience.

Next entry: Apologies to somebody

Previous entry: Time in a bottle