Postcard postscript

Greetings from San Gimignano!

Despite all the burrata and chianti, I did manage to work on my synchronized-swimming handstands with Jamie:

I did have one little political fantasy while I was abroad.  I kept hoping that by the time I got back to the US, Obama would have fired Geithner and Summers and replaced them with Stiglitz and Krugman.  Of course, I’m a realist about these things—I know that Obama would have to have some “reason” to make such a move.  Well, apparently now he’s got one.

1. Found this post via Lycos.  Love the three photos.  I have further thoughts about the political fantasy of Obama shifting gears at my website, where all are free to comment without fear of being autobanned.

Posted by ben z.  on  07/15  at  03:26 PM
  2. billmon at DK:

“They can rape my ass any time—or my children’s asses, for that matter,” another lawmaker added with a chuckle. “After all, that’s what we’re here for.”

Captcha: family.
    2nd captcha: farm. Like synchronized swimming, synchronized capthca’ing.

3. Isn’t it easy to dream when you’re on vacation?

Posted by bitchphd  on  07/15  at  09:00 PM
  4. Even easier when you’re on vacation in Arcadia, Dr. B.  The dreams are especially vivid and lush there.

5. I’m almost afraid to post this here, but I really want to hear (read) your opinion: have you seen this?

6. Don’t be afraid!  No, I haven’t seen it, but my attitude is:  laugh only at those things you think are funny.  And that is today’s moment of Zen.

As for the retarded policeman, well, I still flinch at the r-word, but I think this is genuinely funny.  So I laughed.  As for the RP episodes, my general attitude (as with the film The Ringer, which I mostly enjoyed) is that nobody has the faintest idea of how to do good comedy with intellectual disability, and nobody has the faintest idea of whether or how to laugh.  So I tend to be generous with people who are brave enough to make the effort.

7. I kept hoping that by the time I got back to the US, Obama would have fired Geithner and Summers and replaced them with Stiglitz and Krugman.

Unlike the two fine people in the second photo, I’m not holding my breath.

Seriously, though, it would be nice if extensive ties to Goldman became enough of a liability at some point.  Though it would be best if they publicly fell on their swords because the innuendo was interfering with doing the country’s work, or some such face-saving blather, rather than having to be fired.  The flaw in that reasoning is that Larry Summers would probably view it as an implicit admission of error, and Larry Summers is never wrong about anything.

Anyway, if it’s a fantasy, why not go porchetta?  Dean Baker or Max Sawicky would be on my list, for the fistfights if nothing else.

8. I haven’t been to San Gimignano in years!!  I hope it’s still as beautiful as I remember it to be.

Posted by Mark Coug  on  07/16  at  03:52 PM
  9. Michael -

My apologies for hijacking the thread, but I desperately - desperately, I say! - need to hash out the Half-Blood Prince film experience. I realize this is the blog equivalent of shouting “Free Bird!”, but an HP6 post would be most welcome.

Also, the Pens suck. Even with their names on the damn Cup.

Captcha: “seen,” as in, “Have you?”

10. Um, I would have to see HP6 first, Paul.  This weekend fer sure.

11. Ben tornati!  It sounds like you had a great time; I have plenty of Italian pop if you have “un po’ di nostalgia per l’Italia” and you need a pick me up for your next road trip.  Love the Jamie stories too, it seems he had a blast.  My, but you Berube’s have fine legs!!

(Paul—you’re not the only one waiting for a HBP post—pazienza!)

Next entry: The left at last

Previous entry: 1993 forever