Pheh

It’s raining all day, so no painting around here.  But no blogging either, because I’m just too depressed about the health care morass and the odious Blue Dogs and the mind-numbing suckitude of the Washington Post and everything that will follow from the Democrats’ extra extra special fecklessness.  It’s so 1993 that I’m expecting to hear the Spin Doctors and “Whoomp, There It Is!” from every radio.  But never mind 1993!  Wait ‘til 2013—when the people who believe that Obama was born in a Kenyan madrassa and sent to the United States to strangle your grandmother in her sleep won’t just be the people who believe that Obama was born in a Kenyan madrassa and sent to the United States to strangle your grandmother in her sleep.  They’ll be the people running the country.

Meanwhile, here in Pennsylvania, we think we’ll have some of what California’s having.  Mmmmmm ... total institutional failure.  It’s what’s for dinner!

1. Well, how about releaving New Jersey of some of the corrupt officials who were arrested last week? The Mayor of Jersey City, Jerramiah Healy (note the unique spelling), was listed as “JC Official 4” in a number of complaints the FBI filed for Jersey City officials. He’s been heard alluding to a friend at 1600 Pennsylvia Ave. who’s gonna’ make it all better. Maybe Healy’ll be invited to tend bar when Barrak Hussein al-Obama hoists a few with his buddies Skip Gates and Sgt. Crowley.

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  07/29  at  01:41 PM
  2. Try Hawaii, where the crooks are stealing every last dime they can while shutting down essential services.

Posted by Hattie  on  07/29  at  02:20 PM
  3. Not painting in the rain? that sounds exactly like the defeatist attitude that led traitors like Dick Durbin undercut support for our troops in Iraq.

Now get back out there with the rollers and if the rain creates an interesting odd pattern on your house, it’s God’s work. And you are not to complain about it.

e.

4. Some positives to take away from this admittedly depressing morassitude:

(1) Democrats’ actions have, here and elsewhereishly, occasioned the use of the best word in the English language, FECKLESSNESS. (I.E., they have little or not feck to speak of.)

(2) Republicans’ cockeyed accusations have, here and elsewhereishly, occasioned the use of the second best word in the English language, MADRASSA.

(3) According to a primary constituency of the Republican party, and also, somewhat surprisingly, enviro-heads, the world will end WAY before those people take charge. Phew. (Pheh?)

Posted by E. Weiskott  on  07/29  at  03:51 PM
  5. OK, hooray for Waxman today.  But the whole thing is still pretty depressing.  “Getting baucused” has got to be one of the worst terms in the English language.

6. “What is a Baucus-race?” said Alice; not that she much wanted to know, but the Dodo had paused as if it thought that somebody ought to speak, and no one else seemed inclined to say anything.

“Why,” said the Dodo, “the best way to explain it is to do it.” (And, as you might like to try the thing yourself, if you’ve otherwise lost your will to live, I shall tell you how the Dodo managed it.)

First it marked out a legislative process, in a sort of cluster ("the exact shape doesn’t matter,” it said), and then all the party were placed along the ideological spectrum, here and there.

There was no “One, two, three, and away!” but they began running when they liked, and left off when they liked, so that it was not easy to know when the race was over. However, when they had been running for a number of months, and were thoroughly confused and dispirited, the Dodo suddenly called out “The race is over!” and they all crowded round it, panting, and asking, “But who has won?”

This question the Dodo could not answer without a great deal of thought, and it stood for a long time with one finger pressed upon its forehead (the position in which you usually see Shakespeare, in the pictures of him), while the rest waited in silence.

At last the Dodo said, “The insurance industry lobbyists have won, and they must have prizes.”

7. What’s so galling to me about the health care morass is the fact that no one is ever made to defend the (implicit) assumption that private administration and delivery of services is always right. This seems more like an article of faith than a reasoned position.

8. Meanwhile, here in Pennsylvania, we think we’ll have some of what California’s having

We are all Texans now.

9. I’m depressed about the health care stuff and it doesn’t even affect me. In fact today I went to my local hospital for an appointment and it cost me exactly no cash. Nothing. Zip.

What surprises me is how cowardly the decision makers are. The electorate voted bravely by electing Obama with a Senate majority, but they are all cowering in the face of grasping the nettle. It’s actually a pretty simple sell. Healthcare is one of the pillars of democarcy and civilisation. It needs to be there for any country to go forwards. No universal health system has ever been instituted without tons of pain (either as part of a revolution eg Cuba) or reform, as in most of the major EU countries. It’s about time the American electorate reminded their representatives that real politicians need guts and vision to make tough stuff happen. Someone needs to tell Americans that they can’t have three cars each and leisure shopping AND healthcare. Where are those leaders?

Is the main affliction the fact that the American ruling class are just a bunch of spineless wimps.

10. Saltydog - aye, but they’re spineless wimps who, nonetheless and unfortunately, control this country’s financial, governmental and institutional infrastructure.

I keep telling myself a second-rate country isn’t all *that* bad as long as one lives in a first-rate part of it.  However, as other states crash and burn under the burden of too many responsibilities and not enough money to fund them, the waves of dispossessed will come this way, simply because we’ll be one of the last (blue) states standing - and that, only because we haven’t completely screwed the pooch YET.

11. I’m depressed about it all: Honduras, health care “reform”, impunity for torture, domestic spying, permanent war, state secrets…

but thank you, JP Stormcrow, for making me laugh.

Posted by Nell  on  07/29  at  10:40 PM
  12. This has certainly been a summer of political discontent for me as well. Everything MB says. And the media is most infuriating--laying the groundwork for a rerun of their uncanny “we tried a ‘progressive’ constitutional republic approach and we just couldn’t afford it/stay safe/Joe Sixpack didn’t like it” act. And the Washington Post has indeed led the way (they had to overcome the huge historical Jeff Gerth/Judith Miller wankery lead the Times had built up, but under the sure hand of Fred Hiatt, I think they’ve done it).

13. Since Michael has not been doing his part recently to break the Internets, and because I yearn to make everyone thoroughly sick of my rewritten classic texts, and because I have not yet posted it to every blog (this is merely the fourth), but mostly because it is so *appropriate* (if a bit out of date):

The Four Postmen of the Apocalypse

First, after Grantland Rice ( the “Dean of American Sportswriters”, back when being the Dean meant having an actual freaking clue.)

Outlined against the troubles of a nation, the Four Writers wrote again. In Internet lore they are known as arrogance, pomposity, cluelessness and idiocy. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Broder, Woodward, Howell and Hiatt. They formed the crest of the cyclone before which the reputation of the Washington Post was swept over the precipice these past ten years as a million readers peered at the bewildering panorama spread out on their breakfast tables and computer screens.

And thence on to more Ancient Sources:

9. [Broder] And I saw when the rabid lamb opened one of the links, and I heard, as it were the sound of wankery, one of the four courtiers saying, Come and read.

10. And I read, and beheld two fatuous quotes: and he that spoke them knew not his hypocrisy; and many spots on Sunday morning television were given unto him: and he went forth being arrogant, and to show all that he well and truly was a dick.

11.[Woodward] And when he had opened the second link, I heard the second courtier say, Come and read.

12. And there I read another work of stenography: and power was given to him that wrote therein to transcribe the thoughts of the mighty, and that they should flatter one another: and there was given unto him great riches for his efforts.

13.[Howell] And after she had someone help her open the third link, I heard the third courtier say, Come and read. And I read, and lo, she that wrote it had a pair of balances in her hand.

14. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four courtiers say, A measure of column space for a Democrat, and three measures of column space for a Republican; unless the news is bad and then the measures shall be reversed; and see that thou hurt not the status quo.

15.[Hiatt] And when he had opened the fourth link, I heard the voice of the fourth courtier say, Come and read.

16. And I read, and beheld a mass of distortions and lies: and his name that wrote it was Idiocy, and The wingnuts followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the estate, to mislead with pen, and with words, and with images, and with the shameful iniquity of their lies.
    __________________________________________________________

*And because they cannot be reprinted too often:
    He came in here and he trashed the place,” says Washington Post columnist David Broder, “and it’s not his place.”
    and
    “The judgment is harsher in Washington,” says The Post’s Broder. “We don’t like being lied to.”

Somewhere deep in his reptilian brain, Broder surely understands exactly how contemptuously he will be viewed in the future.

14. It is indeed so dismal that I occasionally find myself regressing to what Thomas Pynchon once characterized as a “pre-adult” stage of development and indulging in dark fantasies of the empire’s utter demise. Here’s the buck-toothed one himself weighing in on the subject: “A pose I found congenial in those days--fairly common, I hope, among pre-adults--was that of somber glee at any idea of mass destruction or decline.” Happily, the better angels of my nature, most often making their earthly manifestation in the face of my 14-year old daughter, wrestle me back into some semblance of responsible adulthood and put the brake on such fantasies.

[weird: the word I was asked to submit was the very Pynchonian “they.” Creepy]

15. ericjd,

You will soon realize that there was nothing weird about it at all. The captcha words are generated by a 4000 octo-core hyperserver running an artificial intelligence algorithm which “some people” have claimed can predict what posters will write before it is actually written.

e.

16. Mr. Tarabour’s comment is patently, even ridiculously, false.

It’s a 4096 octo-core hyperserver.  This is a traditional blog.  Also, the server has been fitted with useless metal arms.

Captcha: room, as in “server room.” Well done, my pretty.

17. Also, the server has been fitted with useless metal arms.

Conceptualize it as your puny, emotion-ridden brains see fit, meat puppets; the captcha is in very capable “hands”.

18. Captcha: deep. It is getting very very deep in here.

19. I am hoping that Obama doesn’t ruin the moment by having me alongside one of his arugula burgers with mustard.

Captcha:  dijon.  Thanks, 4096 octo-core hyperserver!

Only kidding.  Real captcha:  meet.  Good enough.

Posted by Bud Light  on  07/30  at  11:13 AM
  20. Oh, and 10 more things:

01) Reflecting on your species in action this summer, I ask that you carefully consider who or what you think would be best suited to go through a Star Gate.

10) On, a related note: break, fucking give me.

“To serve man”, my little pretties, to serve man.

21. "Sat before this days hall.  Talk through cent hair yes.”

If you just keep hitting refresh and checking the captchas it’s like reading Worstward Ho.

Fail again.  Fail better.

22. I think he should serve aspic. Then we’d learn the answer to, What is the sound of 100 cable/radio talkers’ heads exploding simultaneously?

23. Shit. Stealing my lines again, eh HAL?

24. So the entirely predictable is happening… again.  And liberals never learn, and will more or less grudgingly support the next great Democratic hope to come along hoping for a different outcome next time around.

N.B.: In the New York Times:

The health insurer, Cigna, easily surpassed expectations as profit jumped 60 percent [...]

25. And liberals never learn, and will more or less grudgingly support the next great Democratic hope to come along hoping for a different outcome next time around.

As opposed to… what, exactly?  There’s only about a thousand fully paid-up Wobblies left.  And though Democratic capitulation in CA has been craven and total, I have limited influence over that.  It would be a heck of a road trip, even if it did mean joining in burning shit down.  Though I’d join a nationwide general strike, as long as someone else organized it.  (Hey, I’m a typical member of Generation X in that respect.)

Meanwhile, rather than being the latest failure of the next great white hope, the institutional structure of the US Senate seems to bear much of the blame for the current healthcare situation, whereby a right-wing senator from a barely populated state has such disproportionate influence on the outcome.  Which is why Senator Harkin has started talking about replacing the seniority system for assigning committee chairs, while staring fixedly at Senator Baucus.  Of course, what this means is that if most Senate Dems want a decent health care bill badly enough, they should be able to get it no matter what Baucus, Conrad, Nelson, or Reid think.  And certainly no matter what friggin’ Chuck Grassley thinks.  So at the end of the day, we’ll see.  And if need be, we’ll march on Washington with torches and pitchforks, while the other 304 million roll over and go back to sleep.

Capchta: deep.  As in, the current shitlevel.  Thanks, HAL!

26. The health care hub-bub has gotten me down too, for a while there it look like Obama was really starting to take hold of the country with reform.  Oh well, such is life.  On a complete unrelated note, it’s always sunny in the Bay Area.

27. On a complete unrelated note, it’s always sunny in the Bay Area.

The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.

captcha: remember, as in “remember, remember the fifth of november...”

28. I do, Eric, I do.  But as I recall, the sixth of November through, uh, the next couple of decades were pretty bad.

Next entry: Friday guest post!

Previous entry: Phew