Cash for clunkers

Senate Republicans are opposed to the program because it’s too popular.  Teabag demonstrations will be held this weekend at your local car dealer.

Update:  The Liberal Media agrees!  Cash for Clunkers is like Katrina.
_______

Oh, and I keep forgetting:  I wrote something for the Times Higher Education Supplement last week and something for the Crooked Timber George Scialabba seminar as well.  Mostly stuff you’ve heard from me before, but phrased in brand new words.

1. OK, I admit it, that’s not the whole story.  Senate Republicans are also opposed to the program because the average increase in fuel efficiency for cars purchased under the program is 61 percent.  Socialism has come to the USSA.

2. Teabag demonstrations will be held this weekend at your local car dealer.

Whom Obama wants to put out of business, because he or she is a Republican.

3. Does his perfidy know no bounds?  No.  It knows no bounds.

4. More evidence of boundless perfidy: the Islamoclunker program now targeting Catholic priests like Father Joe!

Posted by John Protevi  on  08/05  at  01:20 PM
  5. When we got home my wife pointed out how the whole thing was accompanied by a constant patter of complaints and bitching about the government and government bureacracy in particular. In retrospect she was certainly correct in that (but I must confess it had pretty much flown right past me at the time). It *was* a bit rich given that the dealership was swamped and had run through their lot inventory in just a few days thanks to the program.

Captha: “money”, f’reals.

6. 4: Because I am currently being blessed with a veritable cornucopia of adventures in things mechanical and electrical, within the period of a wekk or two I will both particpate in “CARS” *and* donate a car to charity.

7. How about the first paragraph of #5. (the preview mechanics are somewhat prone to error).

A brief note from someone who last week actually executed a transaction under “Cash for Clunkers”. (I thank the taxpayers of America for their generosity, I specifically designated that my refund should come directly from the taxes paid by Glenn Beck.)

8. searched all thru “high times” fer a berube thrust, man—like nada.

so then, i thought i’d get high and check the Times’ op-ed page… nuttin’…

what gives? i ask, in kinda literal translation of a heideggerian Weg and with a half-way grin…
    and don’t get me started on the teabaggers—sheeeee, whadda they know from tea, man?

Posted by neill  on  08/05  at  02:41 PM
  9. Hey, we just donated a car to charity too!  Ye Olde Subaru.  Now driving one of those space-age 2010 Prius thingies.  And donating the old car to Centre Peace only required seven trips to Tri County Tag Service!

Which totally proves that if the government ever takes over Medicare we’re totally screwed, totally.

10. Hey, we just donated a car to charity too!

Why, when you could get government money for it, instead?

Good to know, though, that Fox News affiliates think we’re supposed to care about the poor again, however briefly.  Because no poor people are benefiting from the Cash for Clunkers program.  And they definitely don’t need health insurance.

Now driving one of those space-age 2010 Prius thingies.

Any notable quirks?  We’re thinking about trading in our 5-year-old model, but are worried about unnecessary tweaks.  On the other hand, the EPA fuel efficiency numbers are higher, so we can get free government money to do it.  [INSERT SINISTER ZITHER MUSIC HERE]

...Whoops.  I subscribe to Kothar-wa-Khasis’s Twitter feed, and he’s just tweeted that this isn’t true, since (1) our current vehicle doesn’t get 18 MPG or less, and (2) scrapping a five-year-old Prius wouldn’t make sense anyway.  Danged smarty-pants deity.  Oh well, I guess we’re just going to have to continue using it as our getaway car when we steal food from orphanages, like the big-government leftists we are.

11. Oh, I forgot another movie for you to see.  Have you seen “The Magnificient Ambersons?” Supposedly better than Citizen Kane, on the Library of America’s infamous top 100 list of English language novels, and described by Katha Pollitt as like an endless after dinner speech.

12. What we need is a value-added model! I’m talking about statistical model to analyze the effectiveness of our elected representatives and their programs, not a car. Numbers don’t lie, you know.

13. Ye Olde Subaru.

For us it would be Ye Kinda Olde But Abused Subaru* (not finalized, there is a chance it might have an alternative fate). This past winter I donated Ye Olde Geo Prism to WYEP here (in our house of many drivers there exists of late a constant ebb and flow of car flesh) and I will say that it was shockingly easy (although it is now seeming like a rather self-indulgent donation compared to Peace).

*After 30+ years of love, Subaru engines and I need some time apart to work on our individual issues.

14. And your brand new words are getting better mileage than the old ones. Concise, lucid—yet plenty of pep for the onramps.

You must’ve taken part in Obama’s Shekels for Shynonyms program.

Posted by David J Swift  on  08/05  at  10:16 PM
  15. a constant ebb and flow of car flesh

CWCWW!

16. WTF? Michael says “Teabag demonstrations will be held” and mds doesn’t give us a “chicka wow wow”? Not even his lazy abbreviated “CWCWW” one? What - too easy?  Well quit being an elitist snob and do your frickin’ job.

17. do your frickin’ job.

Chicka-Wow Chicka-Wow Wow!

Oh, wait, that was just an adjectival modifier, wasn’t it?

quit being an elitist snob

When you pry my Prius keyless entry fob* from my cold, dead hands.

Anyway, sorry, but I got completely tapped out by “teabaggers” months ago.* Which was probably their plan all along.  And I believe I noted in an earlier comment thread that I refuse to bother with single entendres (or even one-and-a-half entendres).  Do try to keep up with my oeuvre*, Ms. Girl.

*CWCWW!

18. ....so I went down to the car dealer with my wife to see about “cash for clunkers”. The salesman said she didn’t qualify....rim shot....

19. Take my clunker .... please.

20. Um, being an elitist snob is my frickin’ job.  And it’s hard work, too.  Hard!  Hard work!

21. And it’s hard work, too.

The sneering putdowns per fortnight quota alone would overwhelm lesser men.

22. Um, being an elitist snob is my frickin’ job.

You’re new here, aren’t you, “Michael”?  I’m reasonably certain Ms. Girl was hurling her outrageous slings* and arrows in my direction.

my frickin’ job.  And it’s hard work, too.  Hard!  Hard work!

Okay, fine.

Chicka-Wow Chicka-Wow Wow!

So much for the oeuvre-under bet on the single entendre rule.

And how’s that latest revision of Prius so far?

*Yes, yes, slings are usually involved in the hurling rather than counted amongst the hurled.  Poetic licentiousness.

23. As you all know, Cash for Clunkers is, in reality, a tax on used cars, especially on cars very recently purchased. Meaning, this is a typical Demoncrat tax-and-spend operation punishing rich people and rewarding slobs who were too lazy to trade in their cars, and liberal professors driving really old Subarus instead of shiny news BMW’s like real working people.

Also, I learned on a Cab ride from LAX yesterday that Obama is proposing to socialize medicine, Germany has fewer doctors than the US (false, it’s twice as many compared to the population) who are all employed by the state (false) and therefore liable to take bribes just like in the cab drivers home country (former Soviet Union). Upon being corrected it was pointed out to me that while Germans might make socialized medicine work Russians or Americans aren’t sufficiently organized to do so. In other words, the amount of misinformation out there is huge, making it all the more galling that the media mostly report on the horse-race impact of the issue. Did I say galling? I meant fucking infuriating.

24. N.B.: I just spent almost 6 weeks in Germany, explaining why my sentences are even longer than usual. Apologies.

25. I just spent almost 6 weeks in Germany, explaining why my sentences are even longer than usual.

And why you’re covered in socialized medicine cooties. Stop, or you’re going to make baby Jesus Samuel Alito’s wife David Broder cry.

26. I just spent almost 6 weeks in Germany, explaining why my sentences are even longer than usual.

“I just swam across the Atlantic with a verb in my mouth, and boy, are my arms tired!”

27. I just swam across the Atlantic with a verb in my mouth . . .

You spell things funny. Around here, it’s “vurp.”

I’m sorry.

Posted by Jason B.  on  08/06  at  03:16 PM
  28. @23: In Soviet Union, cabbies quote Thomas Friedman!

Posted by John Protevi  on  08/06  at  04:57 PM
  29. Cash for Clunkers is like Katrina.

And now John Hughes is dead! Will it never stop?

30. I just spent almost 6 weeks in Germany, explaining why my sentences are even longer than usual.

It took you almost 6 weeks to explain that?

Posted by John Protevi  on  08/06  at  06:02 PM
  31. Well, it was a long sentence I used for the explanation.

32. Anyway, sorry, but I got completely tapped out by “teabaggers” months ago.

See? There’s your problem. You say that as if somehow your opinion counts. Don’t make me go all Minister of Justice on your ass*. Don’t you know whom you’re dealing with? Do try to keep up with my oeuvre.

*CWCWW?

captcha: piece -as in, you want a piece of this, mds? (No CWCWW intended).

33. Eek!  I withdraw all past and future objections!  Please don’t showtrial me.

You say that as if somehow your opinion counts.

I just hoped that on the internet things would be different from the rest of my life.

you want a piece of this, mds?

Chicka-Wow Chicka-Wow Wow!

34. Now that we’re onto food, the question currently vexing me is: Were I in the mood to consume Venezuelan beaver cheese, should I be listening to zither music (Karas or an acceptable substitute), or bouzouki music (Antonitis Karastatis or acceptable sub)?

Or perhaps four-and-a-half minutes (or so) of John Cage?

35. The preceding comment was, of course, in the wrong damn thread, because I am a complete moron.

Herr Professor Doktor Berube: please feel free to delete it (and this one).