About that TV show

That water around Don is three feet high and rising.

Oh, and Peggy rules.

1. You betcha Peggy rules.  She is (written so that she is) so in touch with the cultural moment.  It’s freaky, really. What I want to know is, why did Don say he was going to get it right this time (or whatever it was that he said to the brother in the car)?

2. The Don is becoming quite the schmuck, and the Betty is becoming quite the man at whatever the new/old firm becomes.  Is there going to be the smell of dead people in three upcoming episodes, or a cliffhanger season ender that leaves some lives in jeopardy???

3. why did Don say he was going to get it right this time (or whatever it was that he said to the brother in the car)?

My guess:  it’s a reference to his mistreatment of his own brother, who killed himself after being rebuffed (and paid off) by Don.  Here Don has to decide between (a) fulfilling his promise to Suzanne and (b) acknowledging that he’s driving this guy to a mental institution from which he will only try to escape.  He goes with (b), of course, only to return to Suzanne and find that the ante has been upped on that promise in (a).  I think this one is going to come back to haunt him, though I don’t know whether it will involve a dead body.  Four feet high and rising....

4. Are we really not going to get any analysis from the standpoint of artistic representation of disability? When that guy got his foot chopped off we had the workplace-injury-brings-career-to-an-end phenomenon, but now there’s a functional-epileptic-forced-to-live-on-the-edge-of-society. And the outsider forced to the margin is evidently more self-aware and at home with himself than the mainstream characters.

5. Is that scene metaphorical, or does Sterling Cooper have a serious plumbing problem?  (Which could, of course, still be metaphorical.  And probably would be.)

And a flat-fold white pocket square?  In the 1960s?  That’s a bit of a throwback.  Especially in a period when pocket squares had generally fallen somewhat out of favor.

(Again, no cable television, and no DVD buyin’, means I really have nothing to contribute.  But I do love the sound of my own typing.)

6. Are we really not going to get any analysis from the standpoint of artistic representation of disability?

Not until I get a free moment, no.  But it was most savvy of Ye Writers to choose epilepsy, which was, believe it or not, grounds for institutionalization through the 1960s and even for involuntary sterilization through the 1940s.  I swear this series is doing Goffman’s Stigma note for note.

7. When my mom was young, she’d had a history of at least one epileptic fit, and she told me that had prevented her from being able to have a driver’s license for a time (that would have been in the 1950’s) until medication advances took away that restriction.

mds - that photo of Don is simply a promo shot for Season 3: water level’s definitely a’risin’!

mds - you simply must visit the Official Unofficial Mad Men blog called Basket of Kisses. (Doesn’t matter that you don’t have a TV). It’s got all things Mad Men from big picture stuff to detailed analysis on the tiniest minutiae. Here’s a link to their “anachronisms” page:

I guarantee you that if your pocket square concern has not already been adequately addressed (since it’s a Season 3 promo pic, try looking at posts from that time), write in and ask the Lipp Sisters. They will be more than happy to investigate it if they haven’t already.

captcha: quality

8. Oh, thanks a bunch, Ms. Girl.  Why don’t you post a link to TV Tropes while you’re at it?  It’s not like I have anything better to do.

...Anyway, having begoogled a bit, I see that Roger Sterling has been known to indulge in flat-fold.  He’s presumably simply carrying it over from the 50s, and I suppose it’s not inconceivable that a younger member of the firm might mirror it.  Meanwhile, Mr. Cooper seems to have awesome, if eccentric, old-school dress sense.

9. “I swear this series is doing Goffman’s Stigma note for note”

I completely agree! I was thinking about this last week when Don fired Sal because it fits so well with Goffman’s thoughts about how the stigmatized stigmatize one another. Watching this week’s episode, I felt that it was almost like they woke Erving up, plunked him down in front of a keyboard in the Mad Men writer’s room, and told him to get to work. As Don and the brother were driving, I half expected to see a whole host of beatniks, former convicts, beach-bums, closeted homosexuals, and divorced women in the backseat with them.

That, of course, would require some kind of Erving Goffman Stigma Clown Car (patent pending).

10. OT but dangerous news:
    Morton Blackwell, founder the Leadership Institute (LI), has launched a new social-networking site for young conservatives called CampusReform.

“I have had a long-term awareness of how the campuses have become left-wing indoctrination centers, and many, many students can go their entire college educations and never see any representations of conservative principles on their campuses —
    ...
    and give conservative students “access to a variety of powerful weapons to identify, expose, and combat leftist abuses on campus.”.

Give me a “D” Give me an “apostrophe” Give me an “H” Give me an “o"… what’s that spell??

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled program on AMC

11. OT

(2) Barack Hussein al-Obama was personally knighted and apotheosized and then canonized by the Nobel Committee because of

(7) his promise to kill the world’s grandmothers with his bare hands

It’s People! Soylent Green is People!

Posted by Peter K.  on  10/20  at  05:54 PM
  12. Are we really not going to get any analysis from the standpoint of artistic representation of disability?

Not until I get a free moment, no

Well, we wait eagerly in hope that your involvements such as “work” and “family” don’t prevent you from attending to the more important things. But seriously…

When the brother appeared, I assumed he was on the run from the draft. Would epilepsy have excused him from all involvement in the war (not just combat), or was he then yet more expendable as one of the country’s “undesirables?”

13. I completely agree! I was thinking about this last week when Don fired Sal because it fits so well with Goffman’s thoughts about how the stigmatized stigmatize one another. Watching this week’s episode, I felt that it was almost like they woke Erving up, plunked him down in front of a keyboard in the Mad Men writer’s room, and told him to get to work.

Posted by Sons of Anarchy  on  11/01  at  05:55 PM
  14. It must be hot were you are. The bees were getting their bodies wet, flying back to the hive, and using the water (and their wings to fan the water) to cool the hive.Remember the hive contains a lot of honey and wax. When those get to hot, they melt and start to run. They also need to keep the Queen, and baby bees cool, since they do not/cannot leave the hive.

Posted by cash for junk cars  on  02/14  at  03:48 AM
  15. Is he feelin’ good? Oh well,just check out our latest keyless remote control,you won’t be having hard time pressing keys for it is made easy for you.

Posted by Keyless Remote  on  06/11  at  03:27 PM
  16. You make experience a place here. I have study a lot about this on early articles published by previous people, but I primary admit that you clear proved your point here! Will exist back to read more such of your greatest selective information!
    rubber car mats

17. Thanks a lot for that wink ...

Posted by Estetik  on  09/09  at  06:49 AM
  18. This is really fascinating. Thank you for sharing this.

Posted by Submit Links  on  10/07  at  08:14 AM
  19. This picture is just amazing. I just love looking at his calm face while the water is rising. Really cool.

Posted by Motorcycle Sunglasses  on  10/08  at  10:34 AM
  20. Freaky! That is how I can describe the Don drama and the Beatty. This blog just makes me happy but I was just as curious as other readers, why did Don say that he was going to make it right this time?

Posted by Jordan  on  11/15  at  09:46 PM
  21. That was awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

Posted by Razorama  on  09/07  at  06:55 AM