Even weirder than I remember

I believe I last taught Pale Fire in 1993.  Between that time and this, some enterprising and whimsical editor has apparently added these two passages to the novel, on pages 138 and 139:

Several trails cross the mountains at various points and lead to passes none of which exceeds an altitude of five thousand feet; a few peaks rise some two thousand feet higher and retain their snow in midsummer; and from one of them, the highest and hardest, Mt. Glitterntin, one can distinguish on clear days, far out to the east, beyond the Gulf of Surprise, a dim iridescence which some say is Russia.  (138)

It was decided to part, Charlie proceeding through the remote treasure in the sea cave, and Odon remaining behind as a decoy.  He would, he said, lead them a merry chase, assume sensational disguises, and get into touch with the rest of the gang.  His mother was an American, from New Wye in New England.  She is said to have been the first woman in the world to shoot wolves, and, I believe, other animals, from an airplane.  (139)

I have checked the text repeatedly with my special Confidence-Man® brand Counterfeit Detector, and there is no question that these passages did not exist in 1993, and that the kerning techniques used to interpolate these passages were not available on the IBM Selectric I or II in 1962, no matter what Mad Men might lead you to believe.  So I have to imagine that someone in the production department at Vintage International has gone rogue.

OK, I’ll be in DC for the next few days.  Don’t try to look me up if you’re in the area—I’ll be in a windowless room all Friday and Saturday, doing Important Committee Work, leaving Saturday night.

Oh, and I believe I said Yanks in 6, did I not?  And now the Bush Curse—from back when Dubya’s first-pitch and Ghouliani’s post-9/11 press conferences doomed us to eight long years in the wilderness—has finally been lifted.  Praise merciful Moloch!

Sure, you haters can say that rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Goldman Sachs.  But you might want to stop and think why the Yankees prospered under Clinton and Carter but were utterly stymied throughout the Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II eras.

1. But you might want to stop and think why the Yankees prospered under Clinton and Carter but were utterly stymied throughout the Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II eras.

I imagine it’s because Satan and all his little devils were too busy at the White House during those administrations to be bothered with baseball, so the Yankees had to go it alone, without infernal assistance.

Posted by Jason B.  on  11/05  at  08:33 AM
  2. Hmmm—Devils in the Outfield.  I’m liking this.

3. Writers were plugged in to the future then. Robert Heinlein, in _Stranger in a Strange Land_, predicted that some day the “amiable nullity” who led the free world would take orders from his wife’s astrologer.

Posted by supergee  on  11/05  at  10:00 AM
  4. But you might want to stop and think why the Yankees prospered under Clinton and Carter [...]

You won’t be surprised to hear I think this says something about Clinton and Carter.

[...] which some say is Russia.

That rogue editor is, quite obviously, a fan of Sarah “I can see Russia from my house” Palin.

5. Michael writes: “So I have to imagine that someone in the production department at Vintage International has gone rogue.”

Speaking of odd coincidences, seems that there are TWO books about the left being released within 24 hours of each other: what’s with that?

(sorry for the messy posting: html codes seem not to work for me on this blog.)

6. Jason B. answers you perfectly up at #1. So yeah, what he said.

Oh - and fuck the Stankees. (And for anyone who was wondering, the answer is: No, I can not be classy about this.

7. I’m with O-Girl on this one. Fuck ‘em, and the pinstripes they, uh, were wearing when they, y’know, rode in. On their horse. Yeah, hey, fuck the horse too.
    With Tim McCarver’s dick.
    (being not-classy is fun!)

8. Also, wouldn’t this mean that people everywhere should be thanking the Yankees for keeping these demons occupied in a relatively harmless way?

I don’t think the dynamic is driven by the Yankees, but by the White House. When there’s a completely evil turd at 1600 etc., the hellish forces have access. When there isn’t, they find the closest approximation.

In other words, if the Yankees didn’t exist, the denizens of hell would have found a different outlet during the Carter/Clinton years. Probably Broadway (because musicals are terrible and are from hell).

Plus, Sven made nose come out of my beer. Just put that together in your mind--it was that unusual.

Posted by Jason B.  on  11/05  at  09:27 PM
  9. (because musicals are terrible and are from hell)

Well, I’m beginning to like this Jason B. fellow more and more!

10. Gee, i was so wrong.  I thought it was that those huge GOP tax cuts for the rich made the players lazy (especially since Steinny paid them so much), while the more progressive taxation of the Democrats motivated the players to garner a greater share of the Championship purse?  Now i learn it is about really non-classy floating heads of nefarious demons and devils.  But if that were the case, the chupacabras of the Dodgers would see to it they would be victorious.

11. I just looked at my copy of PF and they somehow got to it too.  I blame the same temporal rift that caused Newton’s influence on Leonardo.

Michael- I promise to reread PF if I can borrow your class notes; Amis’ Money just isn’t keeping me turning pages like London Fields did, so I could use an excuse to put it down.

12. But if that were the case, the chupacabras of the Dodgers would see to it they would be victorious.

Are you saying Satan can’t hit a curveball?

13. Is it me or has ABF Friday become even more “arbitrary”?

14. There is no more hackneyed and fatuous Internet trope than coming late into a thread and proclaiming, “I can’t believe no one has brought up ...”. That said, with this talk of Yankees and the devil and Washington and musicals, I can’t believe no one has brought up Damn Yankees for Moloch’s sake. No that I have anything clever or insightful to say about it, I just thought it was important to bring it up. So I did.

15. Well thanks for bringing that up, JP. Somebody really had to.

16. Well, it’s not Friday any more, but this is pretty arbitrary, and it is truly in awful taste, so I just had to bring it here.

At Sadly, No there is a piece on the lunatics’ reaction to the horror at Fort Hood. The commenter called Steerpike informs us,

“I am having a hard time believing one man, with apparently only handguns, managed to shoot 43 people. I’m certainly no weapons expert (and this guy was a psychiatrist–was he?) Even with a semiotic assault weapon ...”

A deadly weapon indeed.

17. And once you truly go through the windowpane into Zemblan Airspace, the Yankees always lose.

18. I fail to see how Damn Yankees is relevant.  The Washington Senators would clearly need more than just one slugger to make a run at the Series—they would need, like, an entire team transplant.  Move ‘em to Montreal, I say!

And don’t be mocking our semiotic assault weapons, Porlock Junior.  The metonymic skid on one of these can take out an endless, signifying chain of people.

19. OK, I’ll be in DC for the next few days.  Don’t try to look me up if you’re in the area—I’ll be in a windowless room all Friday and Saturday, doing Important Committee Work,

And so how is your visit with the MAD michelle bachMaNn??  Now that the rally is over you can get back into the Committee room, and start plugging up those leaks in the infrastructure caused by all that semiotic rifle fire.

Last night as i chauffeured two philosophers (Daniel McInerny and Thomas Wichs) in from the airport, they informed me of the wonderful things i will be missing the next two days.

Professor McInerny told me that, while he is not a fan of Mad Men, his brother (who works in an ad agency in NYC) has suggested that the show is well received in that community.  I would have loved to have been able to attend the seminars, but the vampire me must sleep during the day.

20. The Washington Senators would clearly need more than just one slugger to make a run at the Series—they would need, like, an entire team transplant.  Move ‘em to Montreal, I say!

Oops, I forgot his was a literalist blog. And when Washington did get that team of sluggers they moved them to Minnesota. (And I also at one time had a WIllie McCovey baseball card that listed him as Washington (NL). It was from the mid-70s when the Padres were so strongly rumored o be on their way to DC that Topps printed the first run of cards that way.)

21. It was from the mid-70s when the Padres were so strongly rumored o be on their way to DC that Topps printed the first run of cards that way.

Hey JP - do you have that card? How much do you think it’s worth? I’m no collector geek, but that one sounds damn interesting. As does the film discussion spyder linked to that happened Nov. 4th.

Oh, hey spyder - when you shuttle various dignitaries to and from the airport, does it resemble the scenes that ensued when cab driver Jamie Foxx picked up Tom Cruise at LAX in Collateral? Yeah, I thought so.

22. does it resemble the scenes...in Collateral

Only when i am shuttling professors, otherwise the rides with rappers and country-western stars are more pedestrian.  The metal bands however, bring out the best Taxi Driver film sequences: “really, are you talkin to me?” I suppose driving a fine specimen like Lola, always getting what she wants, would take out the kinks in my night.

23. Posted by  on  11/07  at  11:50 AM
  24. "it’s a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world”

25. Hey, it seems that you are good at architecture and home design. I suggest that you join Freelancer.com. It has many projects on design and architecture that you can take. Use this code PLANVIEW to get more advantages from the site. Good luck.

26. The best explanation of the Satan/Yankees relationship is <a href="http://alterdestiny.blogspot.com/2009/10/inevitably-of-new-yankees-dynasty.html<" here</a>.

27. I now look at my copy of PF and they somehow got to it too. I responsibility the same temporal rift that caused Newton’s influence on Leonardo.

Posted by Michael Jason  on  04/15  at  07:32 AM