Employee of the day

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night nor annoying helicopter father with digital camera stays this courier from the swift completion of his appointed rounds.

1. This just plain moves me. And it takes a lot of training and dedication to pilot a helicopter.

2. w00t!

3. Ben Franklin would be proud, and no one ever accused him of being a helicopter parent.

Posted by Gary Oxford  on  02/03  at  09:31 AM
  4. awesome! If he’s anything like Russell he must love the official shirt and name tag.

5. "I have just returned from a most fruitful meeting of the Russian Acadamy.  Especially interesting was a gentleman named Lomonosof demonstrating a coaxial rotor for the collection of airborne weather measurements.  I confess that I was put in mind of Dr. Franklin, and the manner in which he is said to hover and flutter about young Sarah.”

--Leonhard Euler, Letter to Daniel Bernoulli, August 13, 1754

6. Hey, Dad - Get a life!

You must be so proud of your son. I hope Jamie is as excited as you are about his new job - if that’s possible!

7. mds - I don’t know if I stand corrected or stand in awe of your Borgesian genius.  Either way, you win the Internet today.

Posted by Gary Oxford  on  02/03  at  11:27 AM
  8. Beauty, Jamie. If I understand correctly where he is working (mail for all of the East Hall dorms), I have in the past sent mail that has gone through that very mail room.

Obligatory Citizens United Pathetic-That-Such-A-Sneeringly-Irrelevant-Statement-Which-Badly-Mischaracterizes-the-Words-of-Another-Justice-is-Part-of-the-Work-Product-of-Our-Highest-Court Quote of the Day: Despite the corporation-hating quotations the dissent has dredged up, it is far from clear that by the end of the 18th century corporations were despised. - Associate Justice Scalia

9. it is far from clear that by the end of the 18th century corporations were despised.

Well, actually, stock-jobbers pretty much stuck to their own coffee houses; corporations were chartered for a limited term in an attempt to keep them in check; the whole Tea Party thing was provoked by a corporation’s capture of Parliament; and by not-too-far into the 19th century, after the South Sea Bubble, corporations were pretty thoroughly despised.  Other than that, Scalia is pretty much correct.  Good ol’ Tony:  “Despite the historical evidence provided by the dissent, I’m going to assert my preferred belief as unrefuted.” Change the words “historical” and “dissent” as needed, and you have just about every Scalia opinion ever written.

Q: What’s the difference between a corporation and a hippie?

A: Conservative Supreme Court justices believe the corporation has First Amendment rights.

10. smile

11. I like the fact that when I asked to see him (I did have a “reason”—he had asked me to drop off his Blue Planet DVDs at the apartment, and I said I’d stop by the mailroom instead), he didn’t even put down the mail he was sorting.  Hence my caption.

12. Would Jamie mind terribly if I said that was a very fetching photo of him, or would he be cool with that?

JP, I’m OK with the “Fascist Supreme Court Judge Head-exploding Quote/Tidbit of the Day”. I can always go rinse my brain with a Simpsons screen shot of the day - it’s soothing and helps take off some of that homicidal edge.

Oops - just read mds’ latest Supreme Court/hippie joke. Need to go meditate on Simpsons screen shots some more (the January 20th one being especially appropriate for coping with the Majority opinion).

13. O-Girl, Jamie would surely be cool with that.

We hung out tonight chez Jamie for an hour and played Sorry! (which he won), but now comes the real test:  we are going to try to stretch the umbilical cord.  Janet and I are going to a secret undisclosed location.  But don’t worry about the blog!  Mister Answer Man will be here tomorrow with the Super Bowl prediction you’ve all both been waiting for.

14. Congratulations, Jamie!

Posted by Hattie  on  02/04  at  12:30 AM
  15. Congrats to the whole fam damily.  This is a big step and deserves cudos for all of you.

16. Good for him!

17. what a great photo!  such a lot of adventure this week!  hope jamie is enjoying his job.

18. This is an awesome post smile Can anyone help me by sharing some tips about employee? Thanks smile

Posted by Robert Clussner  on  05/02  at  09:39 AM