Postel Friday

For those of you who are justifiably disgusted with this blog’s long descent into schlock and dreck, I humbly offer my friend Danny Postel’s latest essay on Iran, this one with 20 percent more Gramsci than his 2009 essay on Iran and the future of liberalism.

1. michael, i don’t know your email address, so i am reduced to communicating by comment. i think you might like this story.

d

2. "this one with 20 percent more Gramsci.”

But will people consent to the extra Gramsci, or is he going to coerce us into accepting it?

Posted by Mr. Trend  on  02/26  at  10:44 AM
  3. That all depends on the new kids on the historic bloc.

4. That was the worst piece of writing I have seen all semester (although not for long, I am giving midterms to my western civ class next week). Seriously, there is no analysis, its just a random exercise in free association with links. Oh, the earnest idiocy, it burns!

Maybe I just woke up with an irony deficiency this morning. It would be nice if you could get a multivitamin to take care of it. Or if my local water supply could be supplemented with irony. Come to think of it, that might help the school board out too.

Ok. I feel like a rube for asking, but am I missing the inside joke here? If so, could someone explain it to me?

5. ”...20 percent more Gramsci”

And a healthful side of Williams, at no extra cost!

(Even Althusser [unnamed, of course] makes an appearance, though I was disappointed--shocked, shocked, I say--by the lack of a link for the RSA.)

Captcha: “certain,” ‘Tis quite.  Indeed.

6. I might hesitate about the 20% Gramsci accommodation (seeing maybe 7% more as being appropriate), but anyone trying to assess Iran at this point will not be overall successful.  Realistic Iranians have no idea what can happen, and a vast majority--regardless of liberal or fundamentalist intent--share the view that Iran needs to be a nuclear power.  I think one aspect of this is that Iran is a very modern nation in most respects.  Iran is what it is, and wishful hopeful thinking about possible changes in its government wouldn’t really matter all that much to how Iranians feel about us.

I was happy to see an Iranian alpine skier racing in the Olympics, clearly a venue of sport.  Do we care how this Iranian feels about the government of Iran? Would it matter?

7. Juan Cole on what climate change scientists need to do: number one--start blogging!

8. So Obama owes Harper a case of Yuengling.  It’s amazing how Obama avoids the beer stereotyping (not Bud, not Sam Adams, but Yuengling!)

9. I DVR’d the game and watched it with friends, beginning at 8.  It just “ended.” I am so, so glad I didn’t check the comment thread here before hitting “play"--

I just love the fact that a too-tight, no-open-ice game gave way to a thrilling finish and a breathtaking 4-on-4 OT.  Those seven minutes were some intense skatin’ and shootin’, folks.

10. The truly extraordinary moment was Parise’s goal, with 25 seconds left - that was one of those things that just can’t happen.

11. Gotta give the Canucks props.
    I loved that the game wasn’t over in the first minutes.

Couple of broken sticks and lots of rolling pucks.

Ca-na-da

Posted by Poicephalus  on  03/01  at  12:18 AM
  12. that was one of those things that just can’t happen

Unless you’re talking about Patrick Kane twisting nimbly and corralling a puck on a deflected pass (it was supposed to hit him in stride as he broke for the net, but it glanced off a skate and went behind him), spinning 180 or so, gaining control, and managing somehow to wing it netward (with force) where it could glance off another skate and then carom around in Luongoland until Parise smacked it home.  Even though I was rooting for Canada (you guessed, maybe?), I cheered for that goal—it was a great recovery by Kane, and I had insisted that Parise would score before the day was over.

13. you guessed, maybe?

Uniforms?

14. So who is this Cindy Sydney Crosby person.  Why does he get to score all the super important goals?  Why is he so damn good?

In other news, an authentic hockey game for the ages, and for all ages.  Magnifique.

15. Thanks for the excellent link on the Juan Cole advise for climate scientists, spyder! For all our sakes, I hope they follow his advice.

And speaking of good advice, because the Democrats seem ever in need of some, (or perhaps a willingness or the courage to actually take it), here’s a nifty Electoral Flow Chart that it clear enough for even a child to understand.

16. Blackhawks fan here and a friend of mine is a longtime fan with season tickets (he also plays on club team). He related interesting bit of trivia about the players you might not be aware of.

1) Kane is a big Taylor Swift fan. But he recently got in trouble with the law which cancels that out.

2) Toews has a nice condo overlooking Lake Michigan. In one room he has an old laundry dryer which he hits pucks into.

Kane is only 20 and Toews is 21! Anyway I though it was great game. It was weird that the announcer kept saying that Canada’s goalie was off his game and that both teams were aware of it.

Posted by Pete  on  03/01  at  11:46 AM