Romney-o-rama

Earlier this week I noticed that Josh Marshall is practically writing off Romney for 2012.  Then Eric Kleefeld followed up on Wednesday, as did Jed Lewison at Ye Great Orange Satan this morning.  Josh:

If the Republicans want to make Obama’s signature piece of legislation a centerpiece of their 2012 campaign (and it’s hard to imagine they won’t since what else will they run on?), they can’t very well run a candidate who supported and passed close to an identical bill. It’s a no-brainer.

I too don’t like broad and blanket statements about what has to happen two or three years down the road. But can anyone explain to me why this doesn’t fatally hobble any GOP presidential campaign in 2012? And because of that make Romney close to impossible to nominate?

Well, let me give it a shot.  Let’s imagine, crazy as it might sound, that Mitt Romney might try to go around fiercely repudiating positions he once held and policies he once promoted.  Sort of like the way Some Bearded Guy suggested back in the winter of aught-seven.

1. Here’s some advice for the Repugnatcons:

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  03/26  at  12:32 PM
  2. I thought, in terms of Republican strategy, it was defined as having no coherent thought (i.e., no brainer) - doesn’t that make a Romney nomination almost a certainty?

3. Some time in the past decade I came up with the theory that Republicans reward apostasy (in the right direction). Candidates and backers do this consciously, the voters subconsciously. They all understand at a gut level that it is the truly unprincipled person who can deliver on their “agenda”. Presumably Marshall et al. were paying attention to John McCain in 2008, right?

4. You and your zany hypotheticals.  It’s like sitting around, circa 1984, in a dorm room so hazy with marijuana smoke that you’re having trouble reading the Trivial Pursuit questions, arguing whether Reagan could propose a federal budget with a deficit so large even he couldn’t campaign as a fiscal conservative.

Posted by Gary Oxford  on  03/26  at  01:54 PM
  5. Yeah, Romney has been one of the media’s go-to guys on how RomneyCare ObamaCare is unconscionable socialism throughout.  And it’s not been important enough to them to point out the contradictions.  Nor will they be noticed by the stupid, violent Fox News crowd, which routinely gobbles down horseshit peddled by another mendacious Mormon.  Which affiliation I point out only because the traditional barrier to the fundamentalist Christianist support so vital to the GOP appears to have already been eroded by Mr. Beck.  The Rapture Wing might actually be prepared to get behind a member of a “heathen polytheistic cult,” as long as he promises hard enough to trample gays, pregnant sluts, and intellectuals underfoot.  (Not to mention hand out absolutely smashing “God is with us” belt buckles.) The only potential spoiler isn’t Romney’s record, but Huckabee getting into the race.  Why not get the same views in a Baptist package?

6. Yeah, Mr Marshall seems unwilling to accept the evidence of his own reporting. If a political figure is judged to be one of the “elect” there is nothing s/he can say or do that isn’t totally and unanimously forgive-able. Except, for some odd and no doubt telling reason, plagiarism; which is immediate political death.

7. Don’t forget the Mittster’s got Megzilla on his side, or is it Megzilla’s got Mitt? Either way, they got the Angel Moroni and boo-coo silicon shekels on their side.

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  03/26  at  03:51 PM
  8. You fools!  Have you no idea how the republican partay can shape your meager little “reality” into a weapon for their own use?  Time and space can be folded in upon itself to make military brats into war heroes and grubby Alaskan grifters into caring Everyman!

verification:  language

Bah!  We need it not!

9. Hmmm, that reminds me.

10. I know this should be in one of the prior threads but…

I came upon a child of god
    She was walking along the road
    And I asked her, where are you going
    And this she told me
    I’m going on down to Harry Reid’s town
    I’m going to join in a tea party there
    I’m going to stay in a nice hotel
    I’m going to get my speaking fee
    They are starstruck
    I am golden
    And I’ve got to get myself
    Back to the podium

11. There’s a lot of Republican physics in that clip, Michael.

capcha: Dr. ‘who’

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  03/26  at  06:11 PM
  12. In the last two days:
    Rove attacks Obama White House email usage

Hatch and Grassley deny they were for it in 1993

Palin goes to Arizona to support McCain against a Tea Party candidate while she “reloads” her opinions.

Is there no “sense” (captcha) of cognitive dissonance?

13. capcha: Dr. ‘who’

Not by coincidence.  To quote the Doctor, “You humans have such little minds.  I don’t know why I like you.” No one proceeded to punch him, mind you.

Is there no “sense” (captcha) of cognitive dissonance?

No, because in two out of your three examples, the parties involved are simply lying.  As for their target audience: see clip or quote above.

14. And thus, we have Romney

15. Or perhaps Romney and MoroniCo have us.

and really, the satire only goes so far.

Fuck Romney, that pretty boy piece of demonic shit. And the DINOs who are defending him, or the nutbag code of LDS, or Meg Whitman the billionaire mental patient

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  03/27  at  09:02 AM
  16. Fuck Romney, that pretty boy piece of demonic shit. And the DINOs who are defending him, or the nutbag code

Posted by Cheap Evening Dresses  on  04/12  at  07:54 AM
  17. I’m doing some market research so I can offer my services to direct clients. I have a hunch that immigration lawyers in the U.S. would need Spanish to English translations but would like to hear from someone in the business Thanks.

Posted by Toronto Immigration Lawyers  on  08/01  at  02:50 AM
  18. When it comes to men’s designer clothing then G-Star clothing along with Bench, Henleys and Duck and Cover are at the leading edge of fashion and G-Star Raw’s uncompromising and innovative look has won them many fans in markets across the world.

Posted by Skate Clothing  on  09/14  at  07:11 AM
  19. The website must be appealing and must possess good usability so as to achieve the excellent rate of conversion for a particular website.

Posted by new york website design company  on  12/21  at  05:20 AM
  20. A trip can be made stress-free by taking up a travel plan insurance. So go on that trip you have always wanted to take and have a great time knowing that you and your belongings are taken care of!

Posted by Reise Notfallplan  on  01/19  at  03:55 AM