Road trip

Well, I’m off for the weekend.  Really: later this morning I fly to Boston and then drive to someplace in southern New Hampshire for a hockey tournament.  That’s right, a hockey tournament.  With a bunch of twentysomethings.  The last time I went to one of these, your car radios were playing “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” and “The Night Chicago Died.” Apparently, the guy who put together the team (composed mostly of people from the Nittany Hockey League) decided that he needed someone to drive up the team’s mean age and drive down the team’s mean talent level.  I can do that!

I know, it’s crazy.  It’s insane.  And crazy.  It’s like an insane clown posse—with magnets.  But at least it’ll give me a chance to clear my head in the wake of Megan McArdle’s stinging rebuke to my post at Crooked Timber.  That one will leave a mark, surely, a mark that will take a long time to heal. (And then Instapundit piled on!  I am well and truly pwned.)

Anyway, wish me luck.  My laptop is still in intensive care (day 12!), so I will be without internets for the duration.  Which is all well and good, since I should be concentrating on forechecking instead.  In the meantime, go Coyotes!  And gratuitous Steely Dan allusions!

1. I just responded to McArdle at the Atlantic.  She wants us to think Jim Crow is a solely southern phenomenon and of course that is horribly ignorant.

What I should have also added is that she then talks about structural discrimination as if that is something outside of Jim Crow, when it is part of Jim Crow.  Weird, really.

Posted by Mitchell Freedman  on  04/16  at  09:42 AM
  2. "The last time I went to one of these, your car radios were playing “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” and “The Night Chicago Died.” “

My NYC-area radio (WCBS-FM, 101.1, and some station whose call letter I forget at 104.3) still thinks those songs should be in heavy rotation.  (Exception for the glorious WFUV, of course.  And KCR, which has never heard of Paper Lace.)

captcha: “need” as in 101.9

Posted by Ken Houghton  on  04/16  at  09:45 AM
  3. In terms of political content, McArdle’s probably wrong--that is, assuming something like political obligation holds. Alas, the soccer-mommies of CT aren’t too concerned with proving obligation or getting around Hume’s is-ought puzzle (or dealing with the boring details of the Nozick vs Rawls match).

Instead, let Holblo handle it with some top-notch corporate pathos. McMegan-speak seems fairly eloquent in comparison to Holblonics and 50+ comments from the CT faux-marxist sensitivos…

Walter Becker’s a lefto-libertarian of sorts, anyway.

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  04/16  at  10:58 AM
  4. In Re: McArdle

You’ve been telling me your a genius since you were seventeen. In all the time I’ve known you I still don’t know what you mean.

5. Godspeed, Prof. Berube. And now I’m going to have to go and read all that stuff.
    BTW: I got your book about Jamie, Life as We Know It off to a friend whose brother has Down Syndrome. He’s 41 now and working at a pretty good job.

Posted by Hattie  on  04/16  at  02:50 PM
  6. I cannot resist repeating, in a highly Boswellian fashion, a comment made at Roy Edroso’s Alicublog by a witty, devilishly handsome commenter:

Previously, she attacked the sanctity of contracts, because one of the parties thwarted her. Then she seemed to imply that affirmative action was needed for conservatives in academia. Now she’s demanding that the heavy boot of the government security apparatus be deployed to smooth her way. “Are you sure you’re reading that libertarianism manual correctly?”

So it’s no surprise that similarly pig-ignorant schmibertarian, and longtime demonstrably unqualified public employee, Glenn “Exemplar of Conservative Affirmative Action” Reynolds has decided to pile on.  And do I ever mean “pile.”

7. When it’s Nietzsche selling libertarianism and anti-statism (though of a rather ...raw form), that’s acceptable. When it’s a Nozick, or Aynnie Rand, or McArdle, it’s not.  Contextualism, dude, and “framing’ as some of the hipsters say. Has little to do with reason.

Really the anti-libertarian rhetoric of the usual frat-boy liberal (ie CT regs, Citizen DeLong, Holblo) may even out-nauseate the McArdles At least authentic libertarians don’t want to put you in prison for smoking pot, arranging a bit of Rot-licht phun, opposing the IWE, or for not supporting DiDi Feinstein…

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  04/16  at  03:10 PM
  8. "But at least it’ll give me a chance to clear my head in the wake of Megan McArdle’s stinging rebuke to my post at Crooked Timber.  That one will leave a mark, surely, a mark that will take a long time to heal. (And then Instapundit piled on!  I am well and truly pwned.) “

Keep it up, Berube. Pretty soon, real soon now, McArdle, Instapundit, and the other hordes of Producers will Go Galt on us. Where will we be then?

Posted by Bulworth  on  04/16  at  03:23 PM
  9. Do something to make the team bus look tough. And best of luck!

10. First Ms McCardle stingingly rebukes you, then Prof Insta-P silently heh’s you, then you skate away, then you win.

11. Remember to Live Free while you are up there in New Hampshire. The consequences of not doing so are apparently rather dire.

12. but magnets, really, how *do* they work?

captcha natural - another miracle

13. Did she not read the part where we reminded her that Conservatives are anti-intellectual, anti-science, pro-theocracy and a whole lot dumber than us?

I mean, CAN SHE READ?!?!?

(All we should have to do is remind her: W

Posted by OVERLADY  on  04/16  at  06:36 PM
  14. Please do not break a stick.  Please do score a goal or three.  Please ignore the conservative libertariots, or as Bill Clinton called them: hatriots.

go Coyotes Indeed!!

15. I mean, CAN SHE READ?!?!?

Well i am not sure, but writing is not her strong suit.  Count the equivocating words in this doozy of a mindless thought.

Obviously, blacks didn’t set out to be bank managers because they knew they wouldn’t get the job, and even if they did, they’d probably be at greater risk for getting fired, and would find it very hard to move elsewhere.

16. Crosby is the star that just keeps on giving.

17. Yeah, a weird game on several fronts. Pens quite lucky after that start. And I fell asleep with the ‘hawks looking good.

18. If possible, get Kapersky’s Anti-Virus software for your laptop. My computer was bit by a bad bug last summer, and a local laptop repair guy fixed it over a weekend. He insisted that Kapesky’s would never fail me, and it hasn’t yet.

19. Will Kapersky get rid of McArdle?

20. Will Kapersky get rid of McArdle

It will only work on instapundit types.

21. There is no such thing as a gratuitous Steely Dan reference.

And I will always treasure Charles Pierce’s description of McArdle: “… she’s like the freshman philosphy major in the bar that everyone tries to avoid, even at closing time.”

22. I was somewhat gratified the other day when the DJ at WYEP (one of the local public stations) gave Yacht Rock a shout out before playing a Steely Dan song.

23. Hmm, so “rookie” Manchester Monarch J.-F. Berube is actually a ringer?  How long before people catch on that he isn’t really 18?  And how long before the strain of a double life as a Penn State professor and an AHL goaltender begins to take its toll?  Of course, perhaps this is all part of a diabolical plan to get close to owner Philip Anschutz and earn his trust, only to strike ...

24. McArdle, with the proper....preparation...heh heh...would most likely take greater pleasure in a Dan-fest than would some square bureaucrat like Chrissy Berttram, or the typical liberal moralist (cue..the unfogged goils).  She prays like a roman with her eyes on fire...

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  04/19  at  02:38 PM
  25. So, do we have a report on the tournament???

26. OK, report on the tournament:  I still have no laptop and have to work on Jamie’s computer, and he’s home with a virus as well, so gotta be brief.  On the one hand, it was what I feared:  a bunch of the Nittany Hockey League’s best players—and then me.  The next oldest player was all of 32.  The dropoff wasn’t significant in the first two games, in which I contributed here and there without scoring in 5-1 and 5-2 wins (hustling backcheck to break up a 3-on-1 in a scoreless game, two or three blocked shots, 4-5 shots on net, a couple near misses, and a good pass to my center on a 2-on-1).  But in game three, scheduled about an hour after game two, I had a fistful of nothing, and in the Sunday morning championship game just barely more.  Basically, I had two good games in me, but unfortunately the team had to play four, and though we closed a 5-1 deficit to 5-4 in the final game (thinking of the Capitals’ epic comeback the night before), we gave up an empty-netter and finished as runners-up.

And now my whole body hurts.

27. But you played deeper into April than the Rangers, while cutivating that Gordie Howe aura. Did you throw an elbow or use the butt-end of your stick in tribute to the true great one (taking nothing away from Wayne)?  We of the geriatric set salute you!

28. The report is epic, without too much detail.  But well played indeed sir.

29. thinking of the Capitals’ epic comeback the night before

Hated that. Not that I really want the Caps to lose to Montreal (especially now that it looks like the Flyers and/or Boston are going to come through), but that team, winning that way, and seemingly “finding” themselves in the process, yuck.

But some wild fun stuff tonight, and am now stupidly staying up late to see whether a spontaneous volcanic eruption blocks a game-winning Sharks shot or if they’ll just lose more conventionally (or maybe this is one they win just to string their fans along for a while longer).

30. The vagueness of McArdle’s article doesn’t help the cause she is advocating or the reader in understanding the dim social landscape she is observing.  What strikes me in this dialogue is how locked into a “discrimination is always adverse” view we are. This is especially in our political imaginations.  And yet, we know that often the social reconciliation of unfair practices requires a kind of “good discrimination.” It makes me wonder if the labels “conservative” and “liberal” are just the lazy American’s excuse not to bother knowing the difference.

31. I join Chris in a gero-salute and hope Jamie gets well soon.

This spare narrative makes me wonder if there’s any good hockey poetry.  Via google not much.

32. This is a very interesting point about having a road trip. But before that, try to make sure that you would have a good ride by having some good parts like the ones Car Parts Los Angeles and others in order to really make things work for your vehicle, and as well as to really make things enjoyable in road trip.

33. Marvelous concept about road expedition. I like to read this concept. I think this is one of the popular post in your site. Thanks a lot.

Posted by Mike Robinson  on  03/14  at  10:16 AM