ABF Friday*

Arizona. Microchips in illegals. Spill, baby, spill. Burn, baby, burn. Goldman Sachs. Meltdown in Europe spreading to Asia. Asploding volcanoes.  Devastating earthquakes. Lorena Ochoa’s retirement.

And, almost forgot, the new fiscal responsibility: no extended unemployment benefits for lazy unproductive people.

May Day.  May Day.

_______

This time ABF does not stand for “Arbitrary But Fun.”

1. We didn’t start the fire?

2. Worst of all:  Billy Joel allusions.

3. I ban myself.

4. Heritage Foundation link--wow. Berube.com’s nearly become Unfogged-like, with corporate centrists politely objecting to the AZ shakedown (approved btw byJonah Goldberg, role model for the Benji Wolfson sort of PC demopublican) .

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  04/30  at  04:31 PM
  5. You can stay, JP, but only if you sing “Fire in the Hole.”

6. What is “unfogged” and why does Ezra keep talking about it?

7. I believe it’s a Heritage Foundation sister site--bad little sister to HF, like one who’s started smoking crack, but still in Young Repubs. Or NRO. At least Stanford-alumni approved, like NRO.

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  04/30  at  04:47 PM
  8. My stars!  It sounds like a terrible place.

9. That’s an alarming little news roundup, but what I found most disturbing was the news of Lorena Ochoa’s retirement. WTF? She’s my favorite player and she’s still on top of her game. Is she doing so in protest of Arizona’s new laws, or has she come down with an incurable disease, or what exactly?

Posted by sfmike  on  04/30  at  04:58 PM
  10. Finally, someone who realizes that the Ochoa thing is not a joke!  I was really and truly listing all the things that depress me this week.  Ochoa, 28 and brilliant, is getting married and planning to have babies.  Spending more time with her family, just like some disgraced politician.

I totally blame the patriarchy.

11. The LPGA has been a shadow of itself since Nancy Lopez retired.

Posted by JRoth  on  04/30  at  05:09 PM
  12. You know, there’s a lot of circumstantial evidence suggesting that Ray Knight is or was a tool, but being married to Lopez makes him ok in my book.

Posted by JRoth  on  04/30  at  05:10 PM
  13. Not true—the amazing Annika was a renaissance unto herself.  But she’s gone, and after Sunday Ochoa is gone, and I’m gonna get all ubi-sunt after that.

14. Am I recalling correctly that in the 80s there was a proto-Annika who was featured in a poster (for Titleist or some such) that holds a Fawcettesque place in my psyche due to certain Fawcettesque aspects of this poster?

Based on personal chronology, I’m 95% certain this would have been pre-Annika, but was there an extraordinarily hot blond who would have featured in such a poster in the 80s?

And I apologize to the Ladies of Golf for such objectification. Some of my best parents were golfing Ladies, and I assure you that I viewed precisely none of them in sexualized terms.

Posted by JRoth  on  04/30  at  05:20 PM
  15. Sometimes a fairway wood is just a fairway wood.

16. Oh, and Michael, are you coming to the Igloo, or what? I suppose you don’t need to come immediately, as they’ll (almost certainly) either be back next weekend or have another series.

Posted by JRoth  on  04/30  at  05:22 PM
  17. A couple comments on Lopez:

- Her Wiki entry is shamefully short for such a significant athlete.
    - Considering how long she was dominant, her 3 Majors is a shockingly low total. Did she suffer from Ovechkinitis*?
    - Her schedule wrt childbearing is interesting: she had her first kid at age 26, just 6 years after turning pro, and had another a few years later. She played short seasons around the births, but basically kept playing apace, until her third child, when she was 34; thereafter, she was part time until retirement, 12 years later. I have no idea if that was a common pattern on the Tour at the time, but it seems remarkable that she didn’t (particularly) delay having kids, even at the (presumptive) peak of her career.

* a pure cheap shot; I can’t imagine she had pressure issues, given her young dominance

Posted by JRoth  on  04/30  at  05:31 PM
  18. Am I recalling correctly that in the 80s there was a proto-Annika who was featured in a poster (for Titleist or some such) that holds a Fawcettesque place in my psyche due to certain Fawcettesque aspects of this poster?

You’re probably thinking of Jan Stephenson, who was rather more proto-Anna Kournekova than pro-Annika.  That’s not entirely fair, since Stephenson was meticulously accurate off the tee and won a few tournaments.  Underrated, nonetheless, partly because of her attractiveness.

And yes, now planning to come to the Igloo, probably for round three against the Bruins.

19. probably for round three against the Bruins.

Aren’t we the confident one.

20. Yes, Jan Stephenson, thanks. She was married to a male pro, no?

And yes, that’s a rather bold travel plan.

Posted by JRoth  on  04/30  at  06:04 PM
  21. Moving from golf to Gulf,courtesy of your old friends at Counterpunch:“""Oil companies, including BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Shell and others, like Goldman traders looking at a tranch of subprime mortgages, are casting covetous eyes on the Arctic Ocean and the oil and gas that studies suggest lie under the virgin sea floor. Their plan is to drill for these hydrocarbons once the summer sea ice vanishes as a result of rising global temperatures...

lest we fergit, Obama has repeatedly expressed his desire to continue with offshore drilling (as have many DINOs, such as Cal. Sen.  Dame Feinstein)

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  04/30  at  06:18 PM
  22. & Johnny’s gettin’ tired of marchin’ home with his guts blown all over the battlefield.

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  04/30  at  06:31 PM
  23. Ignore it all. Lalalalalalalalalalala! I’m not listening!

Posted by Hattie  on  04/30  at  07:58 PM
  24. Ochoa, 28 and brilliant, is getting married and planning to have babies.

I suspect there be a sizable number of women/girls out there also mourning her plans.  She could however, make an Annika like comeback in five years or so.  That would be great for the sport.  Now on to other news.

This was really a bad week for the US and the planet.  The Iraq government is falling apart with US troops still on the ground. Afghanistan is a place there should be no US troops.  An oil slick the size of Jamaica is inundating the Gulf Coast from Florida to Texas.  And even MLB is telling George Will to STFU.

We truly are left with playoff season to get us through.  Go somebody, anybody.

25. This time ABF does not stand for “Arbitrary But Fun.”

No! ‘Twould seem that this time it stands for “All But Fucked.”

Posted by Jason B.  on  05/01  at  12:17 PM
  26. May Mission Accomplished Day.  May Mission Accomplished Day.

That’s what we Americans call it, anyway.

bushdollfp9.jpg border=0

27. <del>May day</a> Mayweather day, y’all-- and the pugnacious pugilists are preparing to move some serious product--in vegass, and....heh heh...a few country miles north, like Pahrump-way--they got some nice grrls...

Fight-night, Nevada-style-- the essence of cowboy capitalism…

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  05/01  at  01:43 PM
  28. Jason @25: No! ‘Twould seem that this time it stands for “All But Fucked.”

Given the headlines, shouldn’t that be “All Butt Fucked”?

Banned!

29. Clicking through the apocalypse links in your post, you seem to have neglected mentioning the reinvigorated full frontal assault on a woman’s right to bodily autonomy that happened this week across the country.

And here’s a must-read via Digby:

Here’s an example of the kind of real life situations that women and their families find themselves in every day—situations which these busy body zealots who infantilize women can’t imagine since they think that women who have abortions are either hard partying sluts who can’t be bothered with birth control or mentally deficient dumb animals who need to be shown pictures of zygotes so they can understand what pregnancy means:

30. Posted by Michael  on  05/02  at  12:22 PM
  31. Michael - now that’s a depressing, depressing way to start my Sunday. Will someone with connections please tell the Cylons to hurry the fuck up and get here?

Though I am struck by how often and how vigorously Olmos brushes his teeth in these episodes, no doubt to prepare for scenery-chewing exchanges with Tigh- McCain.

Outstanding!

32. Well the Greek workers won’t take shit lying down. (I’m getting myself banned in solidarity with JP and Oaktown Girl.) We’ll have a revolution after all. Topical song.

33. Also this is really ruining my day.

34. Would a giggling baby make you all feel better?  ‘Cos he sure does wonders for my mood.  Him, and also completely ignoring current events.

35. Snooker bribery seems to be more uplifting than defeating. I was more taken aback by this well written piece.

Meanwhile, go Sharks!

36. I have a doom and gloom link I could share to piggy back on the link spyder posted, but I just don’t have the energy (or will, or heart, whatever). You’re welcome.

Meanwhile, go Sharks!

I know better than to get my hopes up. But then again, the things I do that I “know better” than to do comprises a very long list indeed.

37. By the way folks, re: Bill @22 -

Everyone here who has a YouTube account (and it’s very easy in case you don’t have one) needs to go to that video Bill linked to and click the “thumbs up” ("I like it") button. That’s our own Bill who put together the video and he’s also playing trumpet on the soundtrack! Let’s show our boy some love and appreciation.

38. Thanks, Oaktown Girl. I’ve just been to my first Japanese anti-nuke demonstration (with some the the musicians from that video, plus others). No, it wasn’t in Japan. It was in mid-town Manhattan. It wasn’t planned by the Japanese, nor was it planned to be Japanese. I certainly didn’t expect it to be Japanese. I expected to be like every other war-nuke protest I’ve been in these past few years. That is, mostly North American Euro descendants, plus others.

But those people didn’t show up, maybe because to do so would have been to repudiate the 8-year rolling disaster that was the Bush presidency. So, Japanese out-numbered everyone else by three or four to one.

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  05/03  at  03:43 AM

Next entry: Off their game?

Previous entry: Sectionals blogging!