Finals!

Jamie takes part one of his French II final today.  Wish him luck!

And as for those other finals:

Three things about this clip are awesomely awesome.  One, “because of the excitement, the CBS television network pre-empted its prime-time regular programming to carry this game.” Two, there is no music in the world like early-70s sports highlights background music.  And three, the unreadable clock at the old Chicago Stadium, which makes its first appearance at 2:38, just after Lemaire’s world-transforming goal from 80 feet out.

Oh, yes, the action is pretty good, too.  Note Pappin’s reaction to Dryden’s insane kick save at the 4:00 mark—one suspects that Pappin relived that painful moment in his dreams many, many times.  I have one question, though—who’s “Henry Richard”?  I wonder if he bears any resemblance to this guy.

(Oddly, this account of Richard’s stormy relationship with short-lived coach Al MacNeil underplays the drama going on behind that series:  “Richard was a veteran player on that 1971 Montreal team, and his ice time was not what he was used to. After game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals with Chicago Richard boiled over, calling Montreal coach Al MacNeil ‘incompetent’ and ‘the worst coach I’ve ever played for.’” Um, MacNeil had benched Richard in game five.  Which made his exploits in game seven all the more delicious.)

Two things from jazzbumpa’s comment 66 in the previous thread:

Quenville throws tantrums like a petulant 2 Yr old.  When I pointed that out during last year’s play-offs, you agreed with me.  (I just spent the week end with a fun 2 Yr old - quite a refreshing experience.)

Yes, I agreed with you about that incident, but that’s partly because Quenneville’s disastrous outburst in last year’s conference finals was so anomalous.  I’ve followed him since he got his first head-coaching gig in St. Louis, and he was always calm, cool, and collected.  His Blues teams were disciplined and always stayed classy (except for that Pronger kid).  So when he lost it in game 4 against Detroit, it was as if his whole team went down the tubes with him.  But no, he doesn’t make a habit of that kind of thing.

Anyway, did you see Hartnall take a running elbow smack into the back of one of the Hawk’s heads last night?  What can that be other than an intent to injure.  At least it got called, which was also refreshing.

Yes, it appears that for the very first time in his career, Scott Hartnell got called for throwing an elbow to the head.  His previous 388 unpenalized elbows to the head notwithstanding, he went to the box and felt shame.  But the Hawks won’t get that call tonight, just as they didn’t get it in games 1-4.

And here’s an idle question.  Pittsburgh likes to think of itself as a tough town, a steel town, a hard-workin’ burg where real men eat real food.  Philadelphia likes to think of itself as a tough town, too, full of nasty Phillies and Eagles fans and Broad Street Bullies and cheesesteaks wiz wit.  And yet the Penguins have always been exclusively a “finesse” team, which, as King Kaufmann once explained, is code for “a team that listens to show tunes in the locker room.” And everyone involved with the Pittsburgh franchise, including the fans, is cool with that.  Three Stanley Cups can’t be wrong!  Whereas the Flyers simply can’t help themselves.  Even when they have some real finesse-type talent to their credit, like Briere and Gagne, it’s as if they just don’t feel adequate out there unless they’re also stocked with an array of cheap-shot artists (from Bobby Clarke to Hartnell and Pronger) and murderous psychopaths (from Dave Schultz to Dan Carcillo).  On that note, here’s a hello to namesake Craig Berube, the former enforcer (seventh all-time on the Feel Shame list!) who’s now a Flyers assistant coach.

Go Hawks!  Win tonight and spare us 48 hours of chatter about what happened to you all in 1971.  Because if I hear one more time about Hull’s shot hitting the crossbar instead of giving Chicago a 3-0 lead, I’m going to give someone an elbow to the head.

1. Is that clip colorized? I think Thomas Edison’s films were before color.

And yes, on occasion the contrast between the Pens and the Steelers traditional roads to success have impinged upon my consciousness. On the “real food” front, last Saturday night I watched the Guster lead singer delicately try to relate that he thought his Primanti’s sandwich basically sucked. (Since it is still hockey season, he got away with it.)

2. And everyone involved with the Pittsburgh franchise, including the fans, is cool with that.

Doesn’t this just mean they’re secure enough in their “tough town” bona fides to not feel the need to prove anything via rough ... sloppy ... hockey?  Whereas the Flyers are from a place that always seems to have a miasma of inferiority complex hanging over it.  They’re not New York City, yet they’re not in the Midwest, either.  So they end up being fish and foul.

cheesesteaks wiz wit

In this New England enclave of burly folk who think nothing of stuffing their workpants with broken glass, asking for Cheez Wiz on a cheesesteak would earn you a deep sigh and a few mumbled lines from a gloomy 19th-century poem.  And then a brutal thrashing by longshoremen.  Provi all the way, baby!

3. Oh, and bon courage, Jamie!

4. I think Thomas Edison’s films were before color.

I had the first tele-vision set, back when Mr. Edison was the only person broadcasting. “A,” he would say.  Then, “B.” “C” would usually follow....

This is exactly what it means.  Thank you.  And yes, trying to sound tough while ordering Cheez Wiz is like striding into the bar and asking for a Fluffernutter with extra Fluff.

5. I’m not going to be able to rest until I know what/who that background music is…

Posted by Nell  on  06/09  at  05:09 PM
  6. Mai vous avez la chance de très bons Jamie

If things keep going, as they have been going; then the Laker victory leads to Flyers win, followed by Lakers loss and Hawks win in game 7.  So i too must hope for a change in the pattern: Go Hawks!  Win tonight and spare us 48 hours of chatter.

Footage from 39 years ago, nearly the half life of the NHL; well only a third, but still.

7. And good luck to Jamie!

Posted by Nell  on  06/09  at  05:12 PM
  8. First of all, good luck to Jamie (probably too late, but still)!

Second of all, you’re all overthinking the Pittsburgh-Philly question. I don’t know anything about hockey, but I know both cities: Pittsburgh used to be a steel town, but rather than crumbling, it has turned into a pleasant midwestern city, full of friendly, likable people, who say please and thank you and slow down to let you change lanes while driving. Whereas Philadelphia really is full of obnoxious assholes—there’s no need for them to pretend at all.

9. In fact, on the change in Pittsburgh and its effect on sports teams, consider this insightful bit of reporting:

10. I miss Primanti’s!

This Pens fan is torn between hate of the Flyers and a desire to see Marian Hossa lose in the Stanley Cup finals for a third consecutive year. Can we just declare that there will be no Cup winner this year?

11. Tying Flyer goal bounces in off Marian Hossa’s skate.  Man of destiny?

I actually hope not, but couldn’t let the moment pass without noting… especially the way Chicago dominated up to that point.

Posted by Nell  on  06/09  at  10:57 PM
  12. Woo-hoo!  A lame way to win, but there’ll be no tiresome 1971 talk.  (Thanks for digging up the vid, Michael!)

Posted by Nell  on  06/09  at  11:11 PM
  13. Whew, and now we have a couple of basketball games to go and summer is fully in gear.

14. I mourn the Pens-Blackhawks series that shoulda been. I blame Helen Thomas.

15. When I was a kid I lived for the NFL week-in-review show with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier (IIRC).  I loved the inevitable but still cool glare-on-the-lens effect, and the slow-motion shots of referees striding forwards with arms raised, signaling the winning field goal—but the best part was definitely the music.  Not organ like in this clip (which was way funky, thanks for posting it!), but lots of brass and kettle drums.  (There’s probably some at YouTube, but I haven’t checked.)

As for this, I’m not sure I was into hockey yet, as I don’t remember ever seeing Beliveau; but otoh I think I do remember that Lemaire goal.  Hmmm.

Posted by Dave Maier  on  06/10  at  12:48 AM
  16. summer is fully in gear.

I for one applaud the end of any freeze-related activities, ‘cept for Jamie’s icing that exam.

17. The turning point was Sharp’s goal, no question.  Two minutes earlier, Briere scores when one of my favorite cheap-shot Flyers, Hartnell, trips Duncan Keith at the blue line, springing a 2-on-1.  Then a totally bullshit goalie-int call on Hossa negates the ensuing penalty to Coburn.  At that point, the Flyers could have capitalized on the cascade of lousy calls and non-calls (and momentum from the Briere goal, and general Black Hawk discombobulation)—but suddenly the Hawks answer with finesse and speed and fine passing.  Good over evil, just this once.

And yes, for a while I did believe that Hossa would be a man of destiny.

18. Good over evil, just this once.

Oh great, and this is what it gets used up for?

19. Yes.  Too bad for you who care about national and international affairs.

Posted by Moloch  on  06/10  at  12:28 PM
  20. Michael -

First off, it’s delightful and almost thrilling to be hoisted from the relative obscurity of comment 66 to a prominent place front and center on the actual front page of the blog belonging to one of the 100 most dangerous men EVAH.  This is my Andy Warhol moment.

First and a halfth (slightly misplaced) Hope Jaimie iced that French thing.

Second, since you have followed Quenville’s career and I only have a couple of isolated data points, I will defer to your superior knowledge and experience.

Third, wow - they did get some of those calls, in the 1st period at least.  Did you see how confused Pronger looked upon receiving his first minor, when he had committed at least 4 penalizable infractions in a span of about 3 seconds?  At home? WTF?

Fourth, I’m pretty sure Harnall got that one goal, not Hossa’s skate.

Fifth, For Hossa, third time proves all.

Seventh, I’ve been to both of them places and latinist at 6/09, 6:24 nailed it.

Seven and a halfth, though I remain indifferent to the Hawks success, I appreciate it since the mere idea of seeing Pronger’s name on the cup is too horrible to contemplate.

Eighth, the White Sox trounced the Tigers last night.  Evidently two Chicago teams can win on the same day.  That never seems to happen for Detroit.

Cheers!
    JzB

Posted by jazzbumpa  on  06/10  at  12:46 PM
  21. It’s a good day to be here in Chicago.

22. This is really some very fine hockey blogging indeed.

Let me speak for my home-town Penguins by ignoring completely the contrast with them thugs from Philly and merely pointing out “wait til next year”

23. Sixth, mds clearly does not fully understand the evil that is the Fyladelfya Phliers.

Well, I know they’re plenty evil (see Cheez Wiz above), but it’s just the notion that there was only one time that good could triumph over evil, you know?

Once upon a time, a poor farmer and his wife received three wishes from [INSERT SUPERNATURAL WISH-GRANTING INCIDENT HERE].  Given their present lack of food and imagination, their first wish was for an enormous sausage [C-W C-W W!].  They then fell to quarreling, and the wife heatedly wished for the sausage to become attached to her husband’s nose [Ibid.] They then reluctantly realized that the third wish would need to be spent on reversing this unfortunate state of affairs.  Whereupon a cultural studies professor with a really cool leather jacket leapt into the room and shouted “Hawks over Flyers for the Cup!” And so it was.

So, kinda like that.

24. Did you see how confused Pronger looked upon receiving his first minor, when he had committed at least 4 penalizable infractions in a span of about 3 seconds?  At home? WTF?

I did see that, jazzbumpa, I did.  Who knew that all of a sudden, it was going to be considered “illegal” to grab people’s heads and bend their necks backwards?  But as for Pronger and the Cup ...

don’t look at the names that were engraved back in aught-eight.  Don’t!  I’m warning you!  [cue mds saying the names are coming from inside the house....]

25. It still isn’t icumen in hereabouts, Spyder-- and our days start eroding in just a couple of weeks.

That is because basketball isn’t over yet, i think.  However, we here in the inland northwest are supposed to be the recipients of summer this Saturday; they promised.  And, albeit, that on June 21 around 11:28 am GMT/UT, or 3:28 PDT, our days do become way way shorter, i am dreaming of long sunny afternoons into August.  For now, i am officially unclear on hockey as a concept.

26. Michael -

I loved in back in aught-eight.

Aught-seven, not so much.

And the voices are coming from inside the CUP!

mds - I see your point.  There is never a shortage of evil.  And the moral of the story is, I suppose, never argue with the wife when your sausage hangs in the balance.

Cheers!
    JzB who acknowledges that in the real world, too horrible to contemplate things do happen.

Posted by jazzbumpa  on  06/10  at  11:00 PM
  27. and now for something completely different:

Tonight Governor Timmy P tells Jon Stewart that Timmy and GOP favor defunding public higher education in favor of private option.  You heard it here first folks, or twelfth or fiftteenth.

28. i>I loved in back in aught-eight.

Aught-seven, not so much. </i>

I have to assume that MB meant aught-seven, given the dire terms in which he described that series at the time.

And I suspect Warren Zevon’s “Hit Somebody” has been linked here before, but I cannot recall seeing it. So here it is.

29. I guess the saddest thing about that awfully sad song is that Warren had to rip off John for-Moloch’s-sake Denver for the melody AND the harmony.

At least he had the good sense to change the tempo, a trick that worked, oh so often for Ann Arbor’s own Bob Seger.

Cheers!
    JzB

Posted by jazzbumpa  on  06/11  at  07:13 PM
  30. Thanks for the link, JP.  Incredibly, I had never heard the song before.

I see there are other versions on YouTube with more views, and will check them out at some point.  But do they have The Shot with Vernon and Roy, taken at the very moment Roy’s hair reflects the full impact?

Posted by Nell  on  06/15  at  01:38 PM
  31. Thanks for sharing this material )) it must be helpful for my work )

Posted by cheap papers  on  08/05  at  04:21 PM
  32. Thanks a lot again dude!

Posted by Sexo  on  06/30  at  04:32 PM