The first 25 years are just practice

It’s a special day around here.  You do the math.

1. Congrats. So you’ll be online and tracking the comment section really closely this evening, right?

2. I know someone whose parents just celebrated their 70th anniversary. Best wishes to you and Janet on the next 45 years!

Posted by Orange  on  09/21  at  07:23 PM
  3. Aaahh ooohh sweet…

4. JP, spyder, glad to see you two have made up after all these years (since the 60s).  Orange, the next 45 years will be key, I agree.  Me, I’ll be back later this week sometime.

5. Ooooohhh...Happy, Happy to you and Janet!
    My first thought was to link you to that obnoxious “Happy Anniversary Song” from The Flintsontes, but nah. I think you’ll like this much better (at least I hope you do).

6. A quarter century of marital bliss. Congratulations to you both. It’s a monumental achievement in this day and age.

7. Michael,

Congrats.  I just celebrated five years of marital bliss myself.  My wife and I hiked across the Grand Canyon to celebrate.  It was grand.

Just so you know, though, the cover of Rhetorical Annihilation still isn’t violent enough for me.  That dude is sooooo flopping.

Posted by J. Fisher  on  09/22  at  08:59 AM
  8. Hi Michael, congratulations! It’s 15 years for us. Doesn’t look like we’ll ever catch up!

Captcha: “big” as in “wow, 25 is a ... number!”

Posted by John Protevi  on  09/22  at  12:05 PM
  9. The Fourier transform is a generalization of the complex Fourier series in the limit as L->infinity. Replace the discrete A_n with the continuous F(k)dk while letting n/L->k ...

Oh!  Happy belated anniversary!

Doesn’t look like we’ll ever catch up!

We’re almost to eighteen, yet the B’s have one son who’s already graduated from college, while we cope with a toddler.  So not only are we not catching up, I suspect we’re actually losing ground.

“wow, 25 is a ... number!”

Aha!  A fellow mathematician!

10. Just looking in to wish you a very happy anniversary, and good next 25 years. Also, best wishes to Jamie, I hope he gets well soon.

11. Belatedly, a happy anniversary. From me and my wife, who I guess must be the reason for anniversaries if Christ is the reason for Christmas.

12. Hi Christian!  That means a lot to me—good to see you again, virtually speaking.

Josh, your wife’s full name is Anniversa?  Kewl.

mds, the trick is to have the baby in the very first year.  That takes care of everything.  It also made me finish my dissertation so’s we could get health coverage for an asthmatic toddler.

And J. Fisher, I think that was a head-butt of some kind.  I still can’t believe I watched the 2006 World Cup in a village square in the south of France—and missed Zidane’s moment.

13. At the park, on the swings.

“Hi! I’m four! What are you?”

“I’m six.”

Pause.

“We’re both numbers!”

That was sixteen years ago.  The kid’s a math major now at a nice small liberal arts college.

And his mother and I are coming up on 23.

14. I married the first time 40 years ago, and i have been unmarried now longer than any of my four marriages lasted in the intervening years.  I have begun to think it isn’t so much that it matters what you have done, as much as what you are going to do tomorrow to make all that love keep happening.  Good luck with all of that, all of you who are moving forward with your marriages.

15. Happy silver anniversary. We just rounded 30 this year and plan on going for the gold.

16. I’m not sure “the elusive Janet Lyon” is conceptually equivalent to “the imaginary Janet Lyon”, except for the audience which audits this blog.  In any case, you’re forcing me to confront a painful subject (differential equations, if not marriage) which for decades I’ve managed to successfully repress.

17. A quarter century of marital bliss. Congratulations to you both. It’s a monumental achievement in this day and age.

Posted by Nancy Malhotra  on  10/23  at  03:22 AM