Bad Futures—one week from today!

The .pdf of the program copy is available in an Intertube near you.  It is not true that I wrote the whole thing just to be able to use the phrase “zombie playoffs.” But it’s close enough.

1. I do hope you are using the unexpurgated version of Clockwork Orange; it insures that you can never sing that song about rain without visualizing the film.

2. Humph, as if Rollerball were about the sport ...

But good stuff, almost makes me want to pop up there. And I guess we all do really need to get hold of Code 46, eh?

3. All I wanted to know about dystopia I learned from John Prine, 1980:

We're all driving rocket ships
    And talking with our minds
    And wearing turquoise jewelry
    And standing in soup lines
    We are standing in soup lines

Okay, maybe not the turquoise.

4. Excellent program, Michael, and excellent programme! This is one of the few times I can say with a straight face I wish I were living in State Park and not sunny SoCal…

Has it started snowing yet?

Cheers!

5. Nice notes, great program(me).
    For many years I have dreamed of screening a Fail-safe/Strangelove double-feature and this is so...close.

Sleeper, great call.

And La Jetée!

6. Are there any zombie movies told from the point of view of the zombies?  I finally got to _Omega Man_ a month or so back, and its zombies are essentially Goth community organizers.  Surely somebody has already thought of this.

7. I think Rollerball got dismissed a little too easily.

If a civilization needs bread and circuses to keep the proles from rioting, what circuses would we see in the future?

The world of Rollerball is openly owned and operated by the corporate overlords, who have finally finished displacing governments and have divided the world between themselves after some warfare (mentioned in passing).  Imagine if Halliburton ran most of the US.  You have to keep people entertained in an effort to distract them from what they don’t have: Freedom and Hope and Democracy.

Along with The Running Man, I think Rollerball accurately portrays the importance of mindless entertainment in a stable civilization.  It’s the kind of thing that fits very well in our era, where many people are not just ignorant but are extremely proud of just how ignorant they are. (See Insane Clown Posse and their magnets, the Creation Museum, Sarah Palin, Sharon Angle, or Christine O’Donnell, for examples...) And to the pervasive ignorance we’ve added Jersey Shores and Dancing With the Stars.

It’s not about the game, it’s about the kind of world where that game is considered appropriate entertainment…

8. I take your point, MikeEss, but we’re coming at this from different angles. You’re right, the premise of Rollerball is entirely plausible; indeed, it’s very much the world we live in.  Likewise, although New York’s population won’t really get to 40 million (as in Soylent Green), we have plenty of reason to worry about the future of food production.  But I’m not about the premise; I’m about the execution.  Neither District 9 nor Children of Men nor Code 46 (nor, for that matter, Blade Runner) is remotely plausible. And yet they offer compelling visions of the world, not least because their visual renderings of those worlds “feel” inhabitable.  Whereas with the great 70s cheese, one feels (if one is me) as if one is merely watching a premise get played out without too much concern for how it looks and feels.

9. Agreed that Blade Runner and District 9 are much better movies. (I remember being riveted to my theater seat when watching Blade Runner the first time - it had just come out and I was blown away.  I saw District 9 on DVD, and pretty much the same thing happened.)

I admit to a fondness for the ‘70s cheese of Omega Man, Soylent Green, Rollerball, Logan’s Run, THX 1138, Zardoz (and stretching “‘70s” a bit, the Planet of the Apes franchise), but I think you made good choices for the festival (although I probably would have fought like crazy to get The Road Warrior in there too… smile)

I watch movies like these for their interesting ideas and for the lens they turn on our own era/culture, and I’ve come to expect the production values and plots usually leave much to be desired, but often that brings a sense of charm to the effort, IMHO…

10. nice pdf

Posted by webmaster  on  02/05  at  04:13 AM
  11. This was a very good read and nicely put together. Sometimes people just through things together without thinking of the consequences or their reputation. If you are going to do a job, do it right. And that is what you have done here, great job and thanks for sharing.

Posted by Ryan  on  03/02  at  10:52 AM
  12. I agree Ryan! People don’t think ahead sometimes and don’t consider the repercussions which can lead to many different things. Anyways, thanks for the post I really enjoyed the read just like every other time at this site.

Posted by Tony  on  04/01  at  06:49 AM
  13. Great post! Thanks smile inspirational songs

Posted by Todd  on  11/27  at  05:02 PM
  14. Awesome program mate, would be even more awesome with some epic music probably though. Thanks.

15. Thanks a lot harry potter online and harry potter games

16. Imagine if Halliburton ran most of the US.  You have to keep people entertained in an effort to distract them from what they don’t have: Freedom and Hope and Democracy.

Posted by hunting camping equipment  on  12/07  at  11:00 PM
  17. Hello
    The Contractor Mortgage Company, we have expertise in the field of mortgages for contractors and freelancers and believe us, it really can be as simple as a mainstream mortgage application!We use our knowledge of contractor mortgages and the lenders to bring you the best contractor mortgage deals on the market, and ensure that you are not penalised simply because of career path that you have chosen.

contractor mortgages
    mortgages for contractors

Posted by jackson579  on  12/23  at  10:44 AM
  18. Neither District 9 nor Children of Men nor Code 46 (nor, for that matter, Blade Runner) is remotely plausible. And yet they offer compelling visions of the world, not least because their visual renderings of those worlds “feel” inhabitable.

Posted by criminal defense abilene  on  01/04  at  12:26 AM
  19. Your blog is great. Your thoughts are also very good and i am very inspired from your post. That is why I visit this blog again and again and will come back in future too.

Posted by Buy Thesis Online  on  01/06  at  01:56 PM
  20. Hi,

contractor mortgages
    mortgages for contractors

Posted by Michael2012  on  01/09  at  12:17 PM
  21. I tried to open the link but it says the page can not be displayed. I even searched it into Google to check out the cache version but unfortunately it doesn’t exist anywhere. Can you please provide me a functional link or a reference to the story?

Posted by metal horse sculpture  on  01/10  at  08:24 AM
  22. Great blog man. keep up the good shit.
    Peace!

Posted by dry scalp treatment  on  01/11  at  10:26 AM
  23. I agree with @metal horse sculpture that link is not working although good topic you chose to discuss.

Posted by Ethical SEO Services  on  01/23  at  02:36 PM
  24. This is a great post ! it was very informative. I look forward in reading more of your work. Must University - Must University - Must University

25. I can’t access the file.
    inverter

26. I am very much impressed with your way of sharing things

Notary Public North London

27. Nice info you shared here, thank you
    Mohawk Commercial Carpet

28. I appreciate the way you shared the info here

conveyancing sheffield

29. Thanks for aware us about these bad factor. i will try to avoid these factor.

Posted by Best auto insurance in Florida  on  06/16  at  12:35 AM
  30. I like the attitude… :D Thanks for sharing the link.

Posted by Hoist  on  07/18  at  07:57 PM
  31. Tthis are Interesting observations , I think that it will be OK solární panely

32. I watch movies like these for their interesting ideas and for the lens they turn on our own era/culture, and I’ve come to expect the production values and plots usually leave much to be desired, but often that brings a sense of charm to the effort

Posted by Appliance Repair Orange County CA  on  08/04  at  12:28 PM
  33. I have been a Spurs diehard since I was a kid (grew up in SA) but have never found Spurs’ fans who share the same P.O.V.  There are some decent forums out there but Pounding the +/- is the only place I come to for spot on Spurs coverage, humor, stats, and thoughts about life.  “Pounding the Rock” has become synonymous with Spurs basketball, in some ways.

Posted by seo companies uk  on  09/03  at  04:29 PM
  34. But looks like it would be more interesting if you wrote the whole thing…

Posted by Ryan's Tech Blog  on  09/26  at  06:25 PM
  35. It’s all over.

Posted by Nancy Malhotra  on  10/22  at  09:53 AM
  36. That really was a great write-up.

Georgia Motorcycle Accident

37. The will download the one copy of this program and share it with my friend. Thanks for sharing these points with us.

Posted by Debt Consolidation Australia  on  11/06  at  06:24 AM
  38. I’m having problems with the link. Maybe I’ll just have to drop by Intertube then.
    fiberglass pools canada

39. Bardzo ciekawy artykuł myślę że będe tutaj zapraszał znajomych by mogli poczytać informacje tutaj zamieszczone panele fotowoltaiczne pozdrawiam wszystkich gorąco.

Posted by farmy fotowoltaiczne  on  11/28  at  11:00 AM
  40. District 9 was really great. I heard that will be filming a sequel but I don’t think it’s out yet.
    Weight Loss Reviews

41. I guess the District 9 sequel will be out on 2013. I’m really waiting for this movie too.
    Internet Marketing Services

Next entry: Sick and tired

Previous entry: On loving queer kids