Testing, testing

Gee, I wonder if this Arpanet thing will ever catch on.  Right now it’s pretty lonely—just a bunch of DoD programmers and contractors, so far as I can see.  But it’s really cool all the same.  Sometimes I think it could almost be like an “invisible web” that can link computer users worldwide, just like in Neuromancer.  That would rock.

I don’t know if anyone will ever read this, but now that I have this amazing Leading Edge computer of my very own, I might as well keep a journal on it.  Sort of like a “log” of my thoughts, grad-school notes, and comments on events of the day.  (Christ, that was the most depressing election I can imagine.  I’m seriously thinking of moving to Canada!) I could call it a “Bérubé Log,” or “blog,” for short.  No one would know what the hell I’m talking about.  But then, that happens all the time anyway.

So Godspeed, my humble blog!  May you someday find a sympathetic reader, or perhaps attract the notice of some kind of futuristic cyberspace casino operator or diet-drug merchant.

1. d00d! Got any Warez!!!2211121???

Posted by Jonathan  on  01/09  at  11:21 AM
  2. I applaud your efforts, but I seriously doubt this little information freeway information super highway information cul de sac (let’s be realistic) will ever catch on.

Posted by Robert S.  on  01/09  at  10:46 PM
  3. FORGET WAREZ..  have any codes for phreaking?
    Now THAT’s ‘85.

4. Phun!

Posted by Jonathan  on  01/10  at  06:36 PM
  5. I don’t know.  I’ve just learned how to use this thing called a word processor, but I’ll have to say that Microsoft’s program isn’t nearly as friendly to use as Word Perfect.  That’s got all sorts of cool commands, and it’s really obvious how it’s going to be printed on a page, or at least better than typing!  I’m sure that Microsoft’s going to die pretty soon.

On the political side, I hear that Senator Gore might be thinking of running for President in 1988, but we all know that either Hart or Gephardt is bound to win the nomination.

Posted by Sherman Dorn  on  01/16  at  09:33 AM
  6. I barely remember warez, but I certainly do remember thinking, “Apple will never last-- IBM is the gold standard.  I better stick with Word Perfect 4.1, because before you know it, all those Macintosh people will be converting to our system.” Sherman, I kid you not.  You nailed it-- or, more precisely, me.  And in 1985, I thought that Hart was a shoo-in in ‘88. . . .

7. dear micheal, did you no you were a googlewhack? the magic words were tracheostomy and waggles, bye
    phil

8. i am having a devil of time switching over from FTP ReadMail to this newfangled SMTP sendmail; i need some suggestions.  Also, what is this POP idea that some of the people that do internetworking are mentioning??? Is it something that maybe useful later; there is already too much to try to remember as it is just to type in all these MSDOS symbols.  I heard the new GUI is awesome, like real colors.

9. Now I’m forgetting when Ender’s Game came out.  But it’s quite possible this little missve from the time vault was written under teh influence of Orson Scott Card.  Just don’t tell the guys at Sadly, No!

Posted by The Constructivist  on  12/15  at  04:26 AM
  10. H E L L

11. really important note to myself:
    drop the heidegger course and stick with anglo-amer stuff.

Posted by neill  on  11/03  at  07:12 PM
  12. Hi there Michael,
    I’m 11 years old and typing this on an Apple IIe in a BASIC program that a new friend of mine, coincidentally also named Michael, wrote for me. We’ve logged on to this amazing BBS called The Web (no kidding!) and I found your “blog”.
    No idea what that is, but there you go.

Word verification: “come”, which means nothing to me as I’m prepubescent and quite naïve at age 11.

Posted by Peter  on  11/04  at  08:45 AM
  13. You can shop at Retailmenot and saving more.

Posted by Annie  on  11/05  at  03:54 AM
  14. you can saving all with u-info.

Posted by mops  on  12/01  at  08:32 AM
  15. I don’t know about amazing Leading Edge computer.i read your post it can give that idea.

Posted by dietary supplements  on  08/09  at  02:10 AM
  16. I could really use a floating disembodied head telling me why the humanities are so important.  You think that might happen within the next twenty-one years?

17. Very interesting, thank you for this!

Posted by ROOF CLEANING TAMPA  on  06/07  at  05:40 PM
  18. Sure looks like this internet thing caught on! Pressure Washing Tampa Florida

Posted by Pressure Washing Tampa Florida  on  06/27  at  01:28 PM
  19. No way! I’ve just launched a chimney sweeping business, guaranteed to cleanse your fumepipes well before they’re immolated by flammable crud.  Tampa-based associates eagerly sought!

20. You can shop at Retailmenot and saving more