Buffalo wingin’

No time for real blogging today—I’m doing some of that “peer review” I mentioned in Friday’s post on academic freedom.  But I do have a couple of free minutes this morning, so I want to thank all the thought leading, tipping point type readers who stopped by in January.  On Sunday we crossed the 200,000 mark for the month—an unprecedented level of point tipping and thought leading for us.  Thanks!

Also, this seems like a good time to remind everyone that I heart Charles Pierce and you should too.

1. Love Pierce.  It was great when he was a regular over at Alterman’s, but these days he’s just too hard to find.  Thanx for the link.

2. Echo previous comment. Pierce is the Man! I used to look forward to reading him on Altercation.

3. 200,000 for the month?  Boy, now that doesn’t put a damper on my upcoming 100,000th Visitor Celebration Spectacular! does it?  I suppose none of you people will be getting that Civic Hybrid after all.  Well, you know who to thank.

And not at all ironically, the word I need to submit to post this:

served

Posted by Scott Eric Kaufman  on  01/31  at  04:27 PM
  4. Michael -
    when you wrote “peer review”, my eyes and brain read it as “beer review”.  Seein’s how I am a fairly psychic type o’ gal, I’m now wondering just how much of this trip is really business.
    (Lousy,spoiled over-indulged bacchanalian academics!) Oops! Did I just say that out loud?

5. Speaking of beer…
    Air America’s Majority Report will be broadcasting tonight from the offices of the Center for American Progress.  They’ll be doing live commentary as Bush’s speech is going on.

Whenever they’ve done this before, it’s always been funny, and so refreshing to hear honest, truthful rant coming out of the commercial airwaves for once. It’s a great way to help you keep your sanity amidst all the lies and deceit. So if you’re not going to a viewing/drinking party (or even if you are!), hearing the speech this way is probably the way to go.

Click the “Listen Live” button. Majority Report show starts at 4pm Pacific Time.
    (Also available on XM Radio channel 167)

I think my drinking word tonight will be any variation of the word “Freedom” because I’m betting he doesn’t use it very much and I’ve got a big day tomorrow.

6. Oops - Air America’s “Listen Live” Button is on this page:

7. Please please get a Genny and a burger at the Old Pink on Allen Street.  Sweet sweet Pink.

8. Michael -

If you want to do a “beer review” while you’re in Buffalo let me suggest “Founding Fathers” bar in downtown Buffalo (get the hell off the postmodern mess that is the Amherst campus!) Ask to be taken to Delaware Ave and Edward Street.  The bar tender (also named Michael) will stump you with American history trivia.  This bar also plays host to the WNY Democratic party on election nights.

You’ll like it.

9. Given the monthly total, that would push the tipping point to 2 million (counting for further lurking growth and expansion of the “universe” as a whole) sometime in the Summer.  Wow, just in time for the fall election season.

and my stripey word is “chief” which describes your leadership quite well.  Belaga was on the Colbert Report and came across as the useful idiot he is; Colbert started off with sharing their catholicism.

10. Genny 12-Horse, or Genny Cream?
    david
    (who is posting while listening to the canned music on someone’s customer service. can you guess what it is? hint: it’s the theme music to *Every Man for Himself (and God against All)* and it’s VERY overplayed)

Posted by davidrossmcirvine  on  01/31  at  11:21 PM
  11. Good lord, people, I’m not doing a beer review!  That would violate the principles of procedural liberalism, which (as I thought you knew) insist upon the consumption of pino grigio.

But I am doing “real” “work.” And as a result, I missed the SOTU.  Sorry about that—but I really will try to catch up when I get back. . . .

My post-Alito captcha word:  choice.

12. Michael - I got your post-SOTU review right here:
    My drinking word was “Freedom” or any variation thereof. I mistakenly thought with the NSA spying scandal he might shy away from using that word too much. Guess what? I was SO wrong, and I drank...so...very...much.

13. Human-animal hybrids… I didn’t have a drinking word, but I think that’s worth at least two or three shots.  Uruk-Hai, bitches!

14. Thank God for Charles Pierce.  I’ve always believed the reason Jim Carville can sleep with Mary Matalin is that they share the same “values"--which is to diminish the level of political discourse in this nation and turn everything into a talk show-soundbite-wedge issue that leaves serious policy discussion in the dust.

Begala has been far better overall, but everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then.

Posted by Mitchell Freedman  on  02/01  at  03:17 AM
  15. Genny? Did I hear Genny? Bleagh! Pure swill. If you’re in the neighborhood (and if it still exists) try Rochester’s Standard Ale.  I learned about all of this back in the days long before “Drink Liberally” was in fashion.  As a devoted practitioner of underage drinking, I had to go into NY State (from PA) regularly to “Drink Copiously.” And Buffalo was the big city to us folx from (gasp!) Erie.

16. there is something about the following “story” that just seems to Berube like:

“I had to take my son’s lizard to the vet.  Here’s what happened:”

Just after dinner one night, my son came up to tell me there was “something wrong” with one of the two lizards he holds prisoner in his room.

“He’s just lying there looking sick,” he told me. “I’m serious, Dad. Can you help?”

I put my best lizard-healer statement on my face and followed him into his bedroom. One of the little lizards was indeed lying on his back,
    looking stressed. I immediately knew what to do

“Honey,” I called, “come look at the lizard!”

Oh my gosh,” my wife diagnosed after a minute. “She’s having babies.”

“What?” my son demanded. “But their names are Bert and Ernie, Mom!”

I was equally outraged. “Hey, how can that be? I thought we said we didn’t want them to reproduce,” I accused my wife.

“Well, what do you want me to do, post a sign in their cage?” she inquired. (I actually think she said this sarcastically!)

“No, but you were supposed to get two boys!” I reminded her, (in my most loving, calm, sweet voice, while gritting my teeth together).

“Yeah, Bert and Ernie!” my son agreed.

“Well, it’s just a little hard to tell on some guys, you know,” she informed me. (Again with the sarcasm, you think?)

By now the rest of the family had gathered to see what was going on. I shrugged, deciding to make the best of it. “Kids, this is going to be a wondrous experience, I announced. “We’re about to witness the miracle of birth.”
    “OH, Gross!”, they shrieked.

“Well, isn’t THAT just Great! What are we going to do with a litter of tiny little lizard babies?” my wife wanted to know. (I really do think she was being snotty here, too. don’t you?)

We peered at the patient. After much struggling, what looked like a tiny foot would appear briefly, vanishing a scant second later.

“We don’t appear to be making much progress,” I noted.

“It’s breech,” my wife whispered, horrified.

“Do something, Dad!” my son urged.

“Okay, okay. “ Squeamishly, I reached in and grabbed the foot when it next appeared, giving it a gingerly tug. It disappeared. I tried several
    more times with the same results.

“Should I call 911?” my eldest daughter wanted to know. “Maybe they could talk us through the trauma.” (You see a pattern here with the females in my house?)

Let’s get Ernie to the vet,” I said grimly.

We drove to the vet with my son holding the cage in his lap.

“Breathe, Ernie, breathe,” he urged.

“I don’t think lizards do Lamaze,” his mother noted to him. (Women can be so cruel to their own young. I mean what she does to me is one thing, but this boy is of her womb, for God’s sake.)

The vet took Ernie back to the examining room and peered at the little animal through a magnifying glass.

“What do you think, Doc, a C-section?” I suggested scientifically.

“Oh, very interesting,” he murmured. “Mr. and Mrs. Cameron, may I speak to you privately for a moment?”

I gulped, nodding for my son to step outside.

“Is Ernie going to be okay?” my wife asked.

“Oh, perfectly,” the vet assured us. “This lizard is not in labor. In fact, that isn’t EVER going to happen...Ernie is a boy. You see, Ernie is a young male. And occasionally, as they come into maturity, like most male species, they masturbate. Just the way he did, lying on his back.”
    He blushed, glancing at my wife. “Well, you know what I’m saying, Mr. Cameron.”

We were silent, absorbing this. “So Ernie’s just… just… Excited,” my wife offered.

“Exactly,” the vet replied, relieved that we understood. More silence.

Then my vicious, cruel wife started to giggle. And giggle. And then even laugh loudly.

“What’s so funny?” I demanded, knowing, but not believing that the woman I married would commit the upcoming affront to my flawless manliness.

Tears were now running down her face.  “It’s just… that… I’m picturing you pulling on its… its… teeny little...” she gasped for more air to bellow in laughter once more.

“That’s enough,” I warned.

We thanked the Veterinarian and hurriedly bundled the lizards and our son back into the car. He was glad everything was going to be okay.

2 - lizards - $140...1 - Cage - $50… Trip to the Vet - $30…
    Memory of your husband pulling on a lizard’s wacker ..... Priceless

“I know Ernie’s really thankful for what you’ve done, Dad,” he told me.

“Oh, you have NO idea,” my wife agreed, collapsing with laughter.

17. Gadzooks, a Berube moment, w/o Berube! I laughed so hard, I nearly fell off my chair.

18. Tears of laughter rolling into my beard!

Posted by Linkmeister  on  02/01  at  03:47 PM
  19. Ronzoni Rigatoni writes

“Genny? Did I hear Genny? Bleagh! Pure swill. If you’re in the neighborhood (and if it still exists) try Rochester’s Standard Ale.”

Actually, I don’t drink, but if you don’t order a Genny Cream Ale at least once a month I think the Rochester Police escort you to the city limits
    and the County Executive strips you of your citizenship.

Here is a picture of the required local menu, mentioned by someone else--buffalo wings and a genny cream ale (tm).

600_buffalo_wings.JPG

“As a devoted practitioner of underage drinking, I had to go into NY State (from PA) regularly to “Drink Copiously.””

20. I simply can’t stop laughing, and I’ve read it twice!

21. I don’t drink, but NY state was the last one to go with picture driver licenses, so it was probably easier for you to cheat.
    Posted by david ross mcirvine

No no no, David. Maybe it’s pre-history for you, but when I lived up there, legal drinking in NY state began at age 18. PA was always 21.  I was fortunate to live in a border area. Besides, Buffalo was always more fun than (gasp!) Erie.

22. RR: it’s not prehistory to me, actually. I am from the era when they asked for your drivers license *and* your draft card. However I didn’t know that it was always 21 in Pennsylvania.

As for Buffalo as an exciting town, well, do they have anything to compare to Nick Tahou’s Garbage Plate--another signature piece of Ra-cha-cha cuisine?

By the way, back in my day, there were *much* worse beverages than Genny available in NY--Genesee Beer is usually looked down on here, but actually either of the aforementioned ales had their admirers.

23. David:  Be not ashamed.  Nobody paid much attention to PA anyway. They still don’t, despite Berube’s current collegiate affiliation. As for Buffalo being an exciting town, this is a relative thing.  If you knew (gasp!) Erie, you would think Buffalo was Mardi Gras.  Anyway, maybe it was Pierce who defined PA as being Pittsburgh to the west, Philly to the east, and Alabama in between. How else do we explain Ricky Santorum in a state where Dems hold at least a 2:1 registration edge?

24. See, I was gonna offer some useful Buffalo cultural advice, but the lizard story is a stopper.  You could go to Coles-- good burgers, excellent wings, and the best taps in town.  I’d recomend the Bear Republic Racer IPA, but whatever.

Posted by Bill Altreuter  on  02/01  at  10:31 PM
  25. Even us city folk know lizards don’t give birth to live young, so I had no idea where that story was going. Never imagined it would end up (down) there!

26. I sent the lizard story to a friend of mine who, among many other things, teaches a sex ed class at his (Unitarian) church. He’s contemplating using the story as a reading for class. As, I suppose, an ice breaker.

27. Good afternoon. Confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can have. It’s much sexier than any body part.
    I am from Salvador and now study English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “The seo success pyramid has been called rilliant and he holy grail by online marketing experts.Better rankings more traffic, exposure, credibility, leads, and sales.”

Regards wink Wendi.

Posted by Seo Prodvijeni  on  05/17  at  02:29 PM
  28. I adore the admired advice you action in your articles.
    montreal incalls

29. Lovely and useful thoughts! I love to read the informative idea.  Thanks smile

30. I’ve read Nancy Miller’s newest article and it’s remarkable! I’m trying to read all these articles afterward. Thanks for the great stuff!
    Banner Prints