Arbitrary but Resentful Friday

For the very first ARF Friday on this humble but tenacious blog, I turn you over to a Mystery Guest.  Take it away, MG!

_______

Thank you Michael.  All your blogs are belong to Sarah Palin.  But what about me?  And what happens now when I rear my giant looming head?

America has forgotten.  Yes, you have forgotten when your Palin defends you from me and when your “major party” “Presidential candidate” says that Sarah Palin knows more about energy than anyone in America.  And she does make many energy in your media and blogs!  You say, these nuclear “starbursts” could ricochet around America! You have also forgotten when your Bush saw into my soul, and then later when your Condoleeza Rice told a funny joke about how “it is important that Russia make clear to the world that it is intent on strengthening the rule of law, strengthening the role of an independent judiciary, permitting a free and independent press to flourish.” It is like Alanis Morissette, isn’t it ironic?  What a country!

So.  Thanks to Michael Bérubé colleague Hannah Williams, who works in Gravitational Wave Astronomy Group keeping your homeland safe from undetectable cosmic Putinos, I am insisting to you that you have for yourself Arbitrary But Fun Friday all about me:

And:

That is all.

1. Since all your blogs are belong to Sarah Palin, I guess it’s not OT to bring up this: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/11/19/806139/-Late-afternoon-early-evening-open-thread in which Jon Stewart, covering the Palin book tour, reacts to the statement that only Republicans have children with Down Syndrome

2. It is hard to imagine combining break dance with alcohol or drugs.

Word.

Everyone supports; no one opposes.

Also word.

Posted by John Protevi  on  11/20  at  11:40 AM
  3. Yes, Mr P, America has forgotten, as much as we can anyway. We have a lot to forget. Like MC Rove.

4. That top video is fantastic. Thanks!

5. Speaking of arbitrary, why is this place not in Alaska?

Posted by Lance  on  11/20  at  04:57 PM
  6. 5: Those sneaky Russkies, coming straight over the pole.

“We have met the enemy, and they are ours.”

7. Flora @ 1:  I’ve been traveling all day, back to DC for yet another AAUP meeting, but whether it’s morning, afternoon, or evening, it’s always the right time to tell Bernard Goldberg to sit down and shut the fuck up.

8. But Putin secretly desires to only look over Britain.

A clearly starstruck Putin showed McCartney and his wife, Heather Mills, around the Kremlin on Saturday afternoon after they arrived from a stop in St. Petersburg, where the former Beatle was feted by the St. Petersbutg Conservatory. McCartney then performed an informal rendition of “Let it Be” especially for Putin.

Captcha is ‘across,’ as in across the planetverse.

9. "It is hard to imagine these songs being associated with drugs.”

10. Someone broke the top video--there’s no sound.

Posted by Jason B.  on  11/21  at  12:05 PM
  11. I can hear it, Jason—are you sure your computer isn’t set to block dangerous cosmic Putinos?

12. For folks wondering exactly WTF is going on with the UC system and why it’s relevant to all major public universities in the country, Open Left has a great piece up covering some of the interview Amy Goodman did with Bob Samuels, president of the University of California, American Federation of Teachers. It’s a must read if you haven’t heard/seen the interview already on Democracy Now. Here’s the link.

And if you’re not in too big a hurry, the beginning of the post talks about why the stimulus bill is so fucked for not helping the state close budget deficits. I have no doubt

13. What’s not to like about Putin? A man of mystery and contradiction. Some Putin quotes that appeal to me:

“Anyone who doesn’t regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart. Anyone who wants it restored has no brains.”

“Russia will not soon become, if it ever becomes, a second copy of the United States or England - where liberal value have deep historic roots.”

The strengthening of our statehood is, at times, deliberately interpreted as authoritarianism.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.

14. Crap. Cookies and Putinos always give me trouble. Where is that in the settings again?

Posted by Jason B.  on  11/22  at  09:16 AM
  15. I second Oaktown Girl, read that interview with Bob Samuels, and the post on Open Left. I have my differences with Bob - I think he’s lacking understanding how research funding works, and is generally too dismissive of research as a valuable part of what a university should do - but he lands a bunch of hits here.

One thing I wish he’d do though is be more careful with numbers. He has this calculation of what undergraduate education costs (the basis for his claims that undergraduate fees “subsidize research” etc.) that is just way off, assuming that buildings are free, that staff is free, that administrators (and yes, there’s way too many but clearly we couldn’t function with zero) work only for themselves. It’s not useful to base an argument on such sloppy evidence.

16. christian - thanks for sharing your insights about the numbers.

17. Re-reading my comment I realize it is dominated by criticism, when I in fact agree with most things Bob says in that interview. So let me make clear, I do agree in fact with most things he says in that interview!

18. christian - absolutely. I really hope everyone not familiar with the situation will check out that link. It’s critical for folks all across the country (not just in CA) to understand just how serious the situation is with the creeping fast moving privatization of our public university system.

19. Thanks to Oaktown Girl and christian h for this commentary. Although we will never know whether MB will know this or not, I put it on my Facebook stream.

Posted by John Protevi  on  11/23  at  09:43 AM
  20. It would be fun to have Palin as President, although I doubt it will happen. She could stare into Putin’s eyes and and wink at him and mesmerize him.

Posted by Peter K.  on  11/23  at  01:59 PM
  21. Starbursts!

22. I can hear it, Jason—are you sure your computer isn’t set to block dangerous cosmic Putinos?

Why, that would require technology beyond the current state of human scientific knowledge!  What are you not telling us, Jason B.?

By the way, what’s the difference between Patrick Kennedy and a cosmic neutrino?  The neutrino is allowed to have mass.

And Palin / Putin 2012!  Combine the strengths of a creepy authoritarian ideologue who’s openly contemptuous of democratic constitutional government with whatever Vladimir Putin would bring to the ticket.

23. I was surfing when I passed by your website. I must admit that I really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post here!
    Nailart | Deodorant

24. NICE! Spot on post, kudos.

Posted by JuJu  on  07/05  at  03:11 PM
  25. Some of these comments people are saying here on this issue really seem to make me look at this in a whole new way. I do enjoy the responses though.

Posted by golzbein  on  10/25  at  01:55 AM