Dang

Like a lot of people, as soon as I got my copy of Hans Robert Jauss’s Toward an Aesthetic of Reception I immediately thought of Sarah Palin.

Immediately, I say.

Tip of hat.

I suppose this means I have to stop saying “dang” now.

1. I thought you meant the edition with Jauss posing on the front wearing red, yellow, and black shorts.

Posted by AKMA  on  11/19  at  08:46 AM
  2. AKMA, that pose was for the SS Newsletter, not for Toward an Aesthetic of Reception.  (Yes, Jauss worked for the SS as a young thing.) It’s appalling that the University of Minnesota Press took it out of context.  You know who else took things out of context?  Hitler.

Oh, wait.

3. Like many other people, my first thoughts upon receiving Going Rogue were of Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, specifically Proposition 7, which made me wonder how the hell Palin’s book could possibly have 413 pages. I was expecting something more along the lines of Goodnight Moose.

Posted by Gary Oxford  on  11/19  at  10:01 AM
  4. Of that whereof we cannot squeak, we moose mice be silent.

And “the left” (i.e. christian h. and mds) will be happy to know that their interests are covered in a breathtakingly inadequate way by Ana Marie Cox in a “dueling” review. (I cannot claim to have completely read “Going Rogue”—I had to skim the last 150 pages (or more than one-third). I only got the thing into my hands late Monday afternoon with a deadline of early evening.). Such are the contortions that the late-great Post is willing to undertake to maintain some lunatic charade of “balance”. Electrolytes, I tell you! Electrolytes!b

5. I beg to differ. Like a whole lot of people, I immediately thought of Principio di Fantoccini by Pasquale Ben-Geppetto, the father of critical deception theory. His breakthrough empirical confirmation of post-dissemblant rhinal edema is the only explanation for the intensity of sheer epistaxes evoked by Palin’s prose.

6. Thanks to Tip of hat for devotion to duty above and beyond duty’s call.

And for:

The problem a self-serving narrative about Sarah Palin confronts is that it’s about Sarah Palin, whose entire life, it appears, consists of worse and worse attempts to create self-serving narratives explaining away bigger and bigger fuck-ups.

That’s the same narrative arc as my favorite TV show. Perhaps the made-for-TV Palin event will be called Breaking Rogue.

7. By the way, based upon Matthew Continetti’s endorsement, I added a review of Jauss’ book at the Amazon page.

Posted by Gary Oxford  on  11/19  at  11:46 AM
  8. And “the left” (i.e. christian h. and mds)

Hey, maybe you haven’t been keeping up with current events, but David F. Hamilton is also part of “the left” now, pal.  We’re apparently a very inclusive club.

My first thought upon receiving Going Rogue was of a Baby Huey comic book, translated into Engrish.  But my second thought was of the Almagest*.  I still have no idea why.

*Yes, al- means “the,” so this is technically ... Oh, forget it.

9. See John Stewart smack down Bernard Goldberg on last night’s Daily Show.

Idiot says liberals hate Sarah Palin cause she had a baby with Downs Syndrome and you know a liberal wouldn’t do that!

The look on Stewart’s face is priceless!

10. Gary, I told Amazon that your review was very helpful to me.  It also made me laugh out loud, as all references to Tuscan Whole Milk will do.  If only there were an Internet shorthand, etc.

And Nancy, Goldberg is right.  Liberals actually kill babies with Down syndrome and use their blood to make their croissants.

11. Croissants that are then eaten in an orientation such that their axis runs through Mecca.

12. Shockingly, I didn’t receive a copy of Going rogue. If I did, it would immediately remind me of The Art of the Fugue.

13. P.S. Link.

14. I’ve heard about the massive crowds coming out to greet Jauss on his book tour.

15. Paraphrasing Jon Stewart: Sarah Palin is a conservative MadLib that lets Murdoch’s minions fill in the blanks.

That there is a book, seems to me to be the real problem.  Who, among her vast network of superfans and tea party attendees, can actually read above a 4th grade level (same as cartoons and most television shows)?  And if the book is a 4th grade level read, then do we get the DVD/CD version of it out soon?  Because her “massive crowds” require those visual clues of shoulder shrugs, finger quotes, weird facial expressions, to garner any degree of understanding.

16. Damn. I was thinking she cribbed this shit from Heart of Darkness. Now I’ll have to call the framers for a whole new conceptual frame.

Captcha: Union. As in, Palin’s crazy is a __________ of willful ignorance and ignorant willfulness.

Posted by Jason B.  on  11/19  at  11:37 PM