From the archives

Bill Benzon posted this gem in comments back in April, but with each wingnut outrage over how Barack Hussein al-Obama has destroyed all the global goodwill George Bush worked so hard to establish, I keep coming back to it and finding more and more of Teh Funny.  Calling on the “wrong” reporters, speaking in furren enemy languages, indulging in reverse racism, trashing the honor and dignity of the office ... it’s all there, thirty-two years before the fact.  It’s almost like Richard Pryor was some kind of genius.

OK, I’m off to Marlboro College.  Yes, they invited me back!  That was very kind of them.  And it looks like I’m staying in some very nice digs.  See you all in a few days.

1. "Will your mama do my house?”

Classic.

Posted by Jason B.  on  11/15  at  10:41 AM
  2. Speaking of our lovely Fourth Estate (I wanted Tuscany but Muffy was ever so insistent on vineyards on the Croatian coast.), I must say that little has given me greater pleasure than the current chaos at the Washington Times as the various Moon children work out issues of succession. I particularly liked the piquancy of John Solomon “holed up” at his Virginia cabin. It does bring a tear. Maybe he can take solace that,

True Parents are heartbroken and dismayed over what has happened, especially in light of the fact that they have been guiding our movement worldwide, over the last several months, specifically to remain united with their spiritual leadership.

Your Liberal Media™ at work and play. (And don’t miss David Broder suddenly realizing that something must be done about Afghanistan this very minute! I mean it! We can’t take any more of this “dithering”! The retroactive soft bigotry of low expectations is not unexpected, but no more pathetic for all of that.)
  3. Stayed at the Latchis Hotel about ten years ago.  Definitely my kind of place, hope it’s yours.  Wouldn’t appeal to the luxury box set, however.

Plus being able to walk the streets of Brattleboro, onetime organ capital of America, is a joy.

4. Before our eyes, Professor Bérubé is turning into the Marlboro Man.

Ah, yes, good old Brattleboro.  I remember walking the streets back in the day, only to wake up in my room in the Latchis Hotel in a bathtub full of ice, with several of my organs missing.

5. Pryor’s eerie prescience makes one wonder about the whereabouts of Bill Ayers in 1977.

6. I don’t think that’s the kind of organ they made in Brattleboro.

But then my love of the old industrial towns in NE, particularly Vermont, may be a bit of an eccentric taste.

7. trashing the honor and dignity of the office

Like bowing in greeting to Asian dignataries; the boys (captcha) of righteous Murdoch indignation seem hell bent on maintaining the dignity of the office space.

8. Cheney - Nosferatu 2012!

And you know, this town has a lot of bookstores.  I was here with Janet and Jamie in 2007, the day Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was published, and we bought two copies for our trip to Maine.  Good memories here, and a bunch of good bookstores too.

9. Cheney - Nosferatu 2012!

Eh, you usually want some contrast between the Prez and VP candidates.

For instance, Cheney at tea time:nosferatusmall.jpg

10. Is that Zorak?

Posted by Nell  on  11/16  at  08:29 PM
  11. You should get some free popcorn at the sporting goods/ winter clothes store next to the theater. Just walk in, fill up a bag and look around. It’s nice.
    And as a Marlboro student (whose abroad at the moment) it’s nice to know someone on the Internet knows about our little school.

12. Isn’t that Sandra Bernhardt next to the guy from WKRP? And there are a couple of other familiar faces that I just can’t seem to put names to…

13. That’s one good picture, JP. Your creation?

If Cheney is elected president, I will turn to armed struggle.

14. 13: Thanks. Actually it’s another one from my daughter, I should have credited it to her. Her name for it was Nosferatu at Tea Time and MB’s reference brought it to mind.

Palin-Stupak 2012: The Great White North. Beauty, eh?

15. I suspect Mike Judge is starting to feel that his film IDIOCRACY was more predictive than it was merely satirical and silly.  We live in a nation so dumbed down that a young thinker could fool a Tea Party audience. Thirty percent of the population think Cheney/Nosferatu is a good thing; and that same group adores Palin.

But the story that gets me is the latest reports on BPA toxicity.  After all the outrage about all sorts of potential threats by the release of that molecule from our plastic world, the ones getting the chemical companies to change suggest that BPA/ phthalates cause erectile dysfunction in men, and lowers testosterone in young boys so they act like girls.  Wow, now we are really upset.  Welcome to idiocracy.

16. Ah don’t worry, we’ll be fine as long as we get enough electrolytes.

17. Don’t forget the probiotics too, JP. I believe Activia will do the trick.

18. whose abroad at the moment

Oofa! She’s not-a my broad!

19. Nosferatu at Teatime

Ah. Was she a fan of Space Ghost Coast to Coast? I was reminded of this image of SG, Metallus, and Zorak:

Space Ghost Metallus Zorak.jpg

Posted by Nell  on  11/17  at  09:25 PM
  20. I realized I’ve actually been to Marlboro College, at least the graduate center, on my recent 45 minute reminiscence in Brattleboro—I made an utter mess of my hands eating ice cream and they were nice enough not to object to my finding a men’s room to clean up in.

Book (and music) stores seem nice; on my trip there in 1999 I was more taken with the Indian restaurants, since I hadn’t been to New England since my college days in the sixties and there were no such things there then.

And my son, who’d basically travelled to places like Arizona and Utah before was utterly taken by the fact that I took a wrong turn and ended up in New Hampshire.

Can anyone tell me why the little park in downtown Brattleboro is named for Pliny, and is it the elder or the younger?

21. Hmmmm....Is it just me, or has that Richard Pryor clip been disappeared?

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  11/18  at  07:43 AM
  22. Gene @ 20:  there is indeed a rumor that the park is named for Pliny the Elder, but it’s not true.  The park is actually named for Bob Pliny, Brattleboro town supervisor 1884-89.  Whereas Bennington’s Juvenal Park, however....

And Bill @ 21:  it’s still there, so yes, it’s just you.  Apparently that’s what you get for bringing it to my attention in the first place.

Captcha:  your, as in mama.

23. The park is actually named for Bob Pliny, Brattleboro town supervisor 1884-89.

So, Pliny the Younger, then.

Whereas Bennington’s Juvenal Park, however....

is named for the fact that no adults are allowed in it.

24. Thank’s for your time and energy. This was very informative for me