Guns and puppies

I keep forgetting to note that State College, Pennsylvania is now the official world capital of basset hound blogging.  Congratulations to TBogg and Mrs. TBogg and their lovely family!  Sorry about the snow.  But you’re all welcome back anytime.

Over at the Timber that Cannot be Straightened, we’re having a nice pleasant discussion about bringing guns to faculty meetings.  I managed to work a District 9 link into the update about Instapundit, but I don’t suppose anyone is going to get it.

1. Surely there was a way to work viruses in there, so the title could have been “Guns, Germs, and Puppies?” Where are your priorities?

Posted by Sean Carroll  on  02/15  at  07:45 PM
  2. D’oh!  Obviously I should have picked up something I Am Legend 28 Days Later-related from the previous thread.  Blog continuity FAIL.

3. Over at the Timber that Cannot be Straightened,

[WHISTLES WITH FEIGNED NONCHALANCE]

Surely there was a way to work in a reference to how acts of violence over tenure used to be a serious taboo, especially in Irish folklore.  Then the title could have been “Dog, guns, and geis.” Where are your priorities?

4. And now mrs tbogg has been informed that all flights have been canceled and she will be stuck in State College, PA until MONDAY!, which is, like, next week.

That means there won’t be any Very Special Super Bowl Sunday Basset Blogging As An Alternative To Pam Tebow Telling Us She Didn’t Kill Baby Jesus Who May Go In The Fourth Round To Jacksonville, Probably.

Harrumph. Dragging a perfectly innocent puppy into the heart of Norv Turnerville. That ain’t right. The Gods will surely punish Famille TBogg - probably by having the Chargers draft Tim “Baby Jesus” Tebow in the 2nd Round. And even if they aren’t Bolts fans, they’ll still have that hot mess up in their grill on a daily basis.

(By the way - insanely cute puppy!)

5. So someone over at the blog that won’t ever let me comment suggested faculty members should be among the saner people out there. I resent that. But mainly I’m taking the lesson that this world truly is beyond parody when someone can seriously argue for taking guns to faculty meetings - probably to shoot satire dead.

6. Christian!  I saw you in moderation—and I released you.  I only hope you remember the favor when I come out in favor of Obama’s invasion of Iran.

7. The Gods will surely punish Famille TBogg - probably by having the Chargers draft Tim “Baby Jesus” Tebow in the 2nd Round.

Now that’s just silly.  Next you’ll be telling me that the Chargers will throw away a #1 pick on Ryan Leaf.

8. The Gods will surely punish Famille TBogg - probably by having the Chargers draft Tim “Baby Jesus” Tebow in the 2nd Round.

Well, I considered saying “First Round” draft pick, but ultimately I felt the sheer plausibility of “2nd Round” was a far more piercing curse to hurl.

9. Speaking as someone who has only seen police and members of the National Guard armed with guns, I’m pretty sure I would have a complete nervous meltdown if I ever saw a faculty member packing one. I teach in a big city, and find great comfort in going to campus and watching geese feed on the track and field grass. Maybe I’m just traditional, but a campus is supposed to be a comforting place.

Thinking about guns on campus has actually caused me to smile fondly about my students who text message in class. I’ve decided after Amy Bishop that I can handle text messaging in class. What I cannot handle is the thought of people running around with Glocks in their purses or backpacks.

10. And even if they aren’t Bolts fans, they’ll still have that hot mess up in their grill on a daily basis.

[WHISTLED TUNE LOSES A NOTICEABLE PORTION OF ITS NONCHALANCE]

Wait, you hadn’t already gotten that lesson from the whole Virginia Tech commentary asserting that the casualty count would have been a lot lower if all undergraduates had been carrying sidearms, and had opened fire at anything that moved?  I’m disappointed, Professor h.  And your take on our Snow Crash future made you sound so cynical.

11. Well I guess I don’t get the whole “concealed carry” thing. My AK-47 is too large to conceal. So why should I not be allowed to take it to the faculty meeting? It’s simply unfair.

12. My AK-47 is too large to conceal.

[WHISTLED TUNE BECOMES JARRINGLY OFF-KEY, THEN FALLS SILENT]

13. I thought the first rule in the post-Amy era is to deny no one tenure.  That, and please don’t ask someone who has a long history of reacting to stress by shooting to death her brother, and bombing a nefarious professor, any question you can’t possibly save for, well, perhaps, saner moments.

Oh wait, that was satire, you mean you were using satire?  I’m so sorry i blew you away.  Sorry?  Please?

14. I liked the D9 bit—yer audience may be small, but it’s alert.  Christian, I thought the comment by the first long-winded weapons-advocate on CT about how sane faculty are was an elaborate joke, but who knows.  I was gonna comment that I’m barely competent to carry a cellphone and proceed in my usual light-hearted vein, but the second long-winded weapons-advocate over there is getting edgy ("tell me I am a nut") so I kinda backed away.  The hound is adorable.

15. Sure, arming faculty and students will obviously prevent mass shootings. You ever hear of such an incident occurring on an army base?

16. Here is a question I sometimes ask of “More guns= less shootings” types: “Do you think laws exist to keep you from being a victim, a perpetrator or both?” Invariably they only see themselves as potential victims. I believe that within the absolutism of that answer lies a key. But I might be wrong, I’m a self-admitted potential criminal after all.

17. On a different topic, I’d like to hear the opinion of our esteemed host on the outrageous revelation that Canadians cheat at hockey by often playing left-handed even when they are right-handed. Do you, Sir, now or have you ever played hockey left-handed?

18. The ultimate punishment for Mr. Tebow would be to be drafted by the Bears. (for more reasons than I can enumerate in this little comment box) As a beagle owner, I am proud to see other members of the hound group get some press. Dwight Illinois is the home of the annual “Bassett Wadle”, a parade down main street of hundreds of Bassett Hounds. Usually in the fall. Mark your calendars.

captcha name as in our beagle’s name is “tiger”, which in his case is entirely apropos.

19. I’d like to hear the opinion of our esteemed host on the outrageous revelation that Canadians cheat at hockey by often playing left-handed even when they are right-handed. Do you, Sir, now or have you ever played hockey left-handed?

Canadians do indeed lean left even when they would naturally go right.  I blame the state-owned Canadian media.  And health care.  Also.

Sunday night I beat a defenseman to his left and came in alone on the goalie at a steep angle with only my right (lower) hand on the stick.  The idea was to tuck it in the far side of the net, left-handed, but I lost control of the puck, demonstrating once again that I cannot go to the far left.

What answer do you get, JP?  Because gun-advocate number 1 over at CT seems to be one of those guys who, as I put it, believes two things:  one, humans are dangerously unpredictable and potentially violent, so we need to be able to defend ourselves with firearms at all times; and two, humans are pretty reasonable folks who don’t go around bashing each other with chairs, so nothing terribly serious will happen if everyone is carrying.  And this is pretty much what I hear from these people in general.

20. Michael, Have you read Ian Brown’s The Boy in the Moon? I’d be interested in your opinion.

21. OK,
    back from that horrid thread (from another thread) about packing at the Church Picnic.
    The take away was:

So lemme see … potential killers, even the mentally unstable ones, are pretty rational people who do the proper cost/benefit calculus before opening fire in public.

‘Zactly