Postscript to extra special guest post

Hello, American Airspace!  This is George Will of the Permanent Punditry, here once again with another important message.  President Obama’s redistributionist budget will mark the end of American prosperity as we know it.  Reverting to the politics of class resentment, reviving the failed “soak the rich” policies of Democratic administrations past, Obama promises to raise taxes on “the wealthiest five percent” of Americans.  Independent studies show, however, that over 73 percent of Americans believe that they fall into that category, and another 27 percent plan to do so in the foreseeable future.

More important, however, is the effect this recidivist redistributionism will have on job creation.  If Obama’s utopian schemes proceed as planned, then it is very likely that two years from now, many hardworking journalists and television personalities throughout the greater Washington area will have to scale back dramatically.  Many who are accustomed to dining at Citronelle may have to settle for The Willard Room instead, thereby destroying untold millions of American jobs.

Obama’s budget promises to reanimate the corpse of an idea that died an unmourned death with the fall of the Berlin Wall.  Surely that’s not the kind of change we can believe in.

1. Dear George Will,

You said it, George Will.  All this taxation is plain UnAmerican, and frankly—it makes me queasy!

But, George Will!  You and I aren’t the only ones who are sick of all this talk of ‘taxing the wealthy’ and ‘paying our fair share’ and ‘not being allowed to have serfs in a Democracy’ .. heck no!  Look at what the great patriot and free thinking Republican representative Michele Bachmann just said in her CPAC speech:

I just wondered that if our founders thought taxation without representation was bad, what would they think of representation WITH taxation?

OH SNAP!

2. Citronelle may be out, but we’ll always have the
    Senate Cafeteria and Fresh Bar®(now with less Lieberman).

Posted by Lance  on  02/27  at  05:32 PM
  3. I wonder whether Michelle Bachman ever learned about the Whiskey Tax rebellion under George Washington. Almost got ole George to ride in on his horse and whip the rebels into line.

Posted by Bulworth  on  02/27  at  06:51 PM
  4. Apropos of this guest series Mike-o, there is an excellent and pertinent article in the NYT today about the meaninglessness of what you do for a living.

Though you have tenure, I’m sure your generosity with others’ money will cause you to give up your position to do you bit for the tough times facing Pa. taxpayers.

5. I wish to protest, even though I’m not even American, and infact live in a proto Communist country.

Does anyone know an email number where I can write?

Posted by saltydog  on  02/27  at  07:13 PM
  6. I’m sure your generosity with others’ money will cause you to give up your position to do you bit for the tough times facing Pa. taxpayers.

The taxpayers of Pennsylvania account for nine percent of Penn State’s budget, and if times get that tough, I’ll agree to a nine percent pay cut, sure.  In the meantime, free lunches for all my Democrat friends!  That includes all 56 of you who insist that I join or not join Facebook.  Ben here is paying—he inadvertently left his credit card info instead of his email address.  Hey, I wonder if Citronelle will deliver within a 250-mile radius?

Captcha:  hope.

7. The graph accompanying the article shows that the percentage of bachelors and masters degrees that are granted in the humanities has been stable for the last quarter century.  The decline that the article laments ended about 1983.  I know that sometimes it takes a while for a trend to be noticed in a general circulation newspaper, but this is little slow even for the NYT.

I don’t doubt that universities are not hiring new humanities faculty right now.  Are they hiring any other new faculty right now?  Are they hiring any new maintenance workers right now?  Wouldn’t that be relevant to the article?

8. Retrograde renegade regales receptive Republicans with recherché refutation of recent resource reallocation recommendations down by the seashore.

9. You know Ben, George, Stanley and I are right there with you. Let’s fire Michael, and spend more on Blackwater contracts. After all, the Blackwater folks are clearly not those sissy humanities types, who apparently are a luxury item to be cast aside in times of economic challenges. Blackwater kicks butt.

capcha “labor” as in I guess we really don’t want to bother studying the history of the labor movement because that wouldn’t enlighten us at all.

10. I was just picking out what I wanted from Citronelle for lunch, and I see THIS:

CAVIAR PENGUIN, 1 oz, osetra, petrossian, vegetable mousse and blini + 75

Barbarians!  Foie gras and veal are bad enough, but now they are turning penguins into caviar!

11. The graph accompanying the article shows that the percentage of bachelors and masters degrees that are granted in the humanities has been stable for the last quarter century.

And it starts the clock in 1966, which, as I’ve argued time and time and time and time and time and time and time again, produces the illusion of a staggering decline by erasing the sudden and anomalous explosion in humanities degrees between 1960 and 1966.  My own field, Useless Crap Dangeral Studies English literature, accounted for 3.99 percent of all B.A.s in 1950, 3.5 percent in 1980, and 3.88 percent in 2005.  For the last time, people.

12. The argument seems to be:

--Previous downturns have led to decreasing enrollments in the humanities.

--5 percent of higher education institutions have imposed a hiring freeze and 43 percent have imposed a partial freeze (overall, not specifically in the humanities)

--It’s tough to get a job in English lit. and the foreign languages.

--The humanities continue to thrive in elite liberal arts schools and large state universities have to turn students away.

--The humanities are doomed, and in the future only the wealthy will want to get a liberal arts education anyway.

Seems like there might be a hole in the logic somewhere, but I just can’t put my finger on it. George, can you help a brother out?

13. George, can you help a brother out?

Certainly, The Venerable Ed.  The conclusion you point to is the sine qua non of all newspaper articles on the future of the humanities.  The other points you mention are purely supererogatory.

Posted by George F. Will  on  02/27  at  08:50 PM
  14. Blackwater kicks butt.

Pardon me, Elliot, but I think you mean Xe kicks butt.

But the point remains that my job is pretty useless.  If only I were doing something productive, like working in the banking or housing industries!  Those guys really have an impact on society.

15. Thanks, George. If I’d have taken a few more humanities courses I probably could have figured that out for myself, not to mention all the Greek words in your reply.

16. Since “Xe” sounds like some expensive designer perfume or cologne, the propaganda marketing campaign for it needs to start producing some of those pseudo-artsy commercials like all the best fragrances do.

Perhaps snazzily-uniformed armed gunman carrying Bibles could be shown in slow motion diving into a luxury pool surrounded by classical Greek and Roman statues.

17. Obama’s utopian schemes score a direct hit. Next up: San Francisco.

Captcha: filled. Permanent punditry leaves us filled, like a diaper.

18. Oh my gawd, another floating head dawning over the land of Palin???

Hey now, don’t be dyssing the Bachman.  The CPAC audience (captcha) heard her utter the greatest praise for George’s new brother John Henry Steele, You be da Man, You be da Man!!

But George, really, please help us understand how your close and dear friend Johnny Bolton could say the following to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). He tried to up the fear quotient in the room by raising the prospect of an Iranian-sent nuclear attack on an American city. “It’s [a] tiny [threat] compared to the Soviet Union,” Bolton said, “but is the loss of one American city — pick one at random: Chicago — is that a tiny threat?” The audience erupted in cheers and laughter at the idea of Obama’s home city being obliterated. Of course lest we be really naive the great Soviet Union still holds sway over our measly and weak asses.

19. George, reanimated corpses such as ours can survive even falls from walls, or falling walls. We’re not called the undead for nothing!

Captcha: Nothing.

20. In that bowtie and shirtsleeves, George Frederick Will looks like he’s ready to go to work as a waiter at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans.

At least he’d be doing something useful there.  He’d also have a chance to learn about living in a city remade by the ministrations of his co-religionists, especially on a coffee-waiter’s pay.

Capcha does work that way, since he’d be carrying “things.”

21. I was glancing at the Willard Room’s menu, and I see THIS;

5- Course Menu
    Prix Fixe $75, Wine Pairing $65
    7-Course Menu
    Prix Fixe $99, Wine Paring $85

At those prices, would consistent spelling be too much to ask?

22. In that bowtie and shirtsleeves, George Frederick Will looks like he’s ready to go to work as a waiter at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans.

Maitre Dee in ‘Nawlins would probably be a bit of a stretch for George Will.  Imagine some freckles, a bit of make up, and George as Charlie McCarthy, offering up anti-tax slogans and LimbaughSpeak on the lap of a Master GOP Ventriloquist, one who knows his/her Ayn Rand, backwards n forwards. Some....are destined for.....Greatness

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  02/28  at  11:33 AM
  23. In the meantime, free lunches for all my Democrat friends!  That includes all 56 of you who insist that I join or not join Facebook.

Hey, what about us Chemistry majors in the apathetic minority??  Huh?!?

Capcha: point, as in I don’t see George’s

Posted by jazzbumpa  on  02/28  at  12:48 PM
  24. I don’t wish to alarm anyone, but I’m beginning to suspect that this post wasn’t written by the actual George Will.  I mean, yeah, it’s got them thar big words an’ all, but I didn’t fall asleep even once while reading it!  I can’t claim that about any column written by the real George Will.

Coincidence?  Does Moloch play with dice?

25. DO NOT MOCK ME

CAPTCHA:  “LAST,” AS IN YOU WILL BE THE LAST TO DO SO

Posted by Moloch  on  02/28  at  09:48 PM
  26. Via Digby, there is some good evidence that Rick Santelli’s little rant was all part of some creative Astroturfing.

27. I’ll be good.

28. 5- Course Menu
    Prix Fixe $75, Wine Pairing $65
    7-Course Menu
    Prix Fixe $99, Wine Paring $85

Labor cost of $20 for i removal.

And i will indeed need help with removal after finishing off a 7-course meal.

Perfectly consistent.

29. Very cute parody.... BUT you forgot the random literary quote and the inscrutable baseball analogy which Will works into every column.

Posted by Timothy Horrigan  on  03/10  at  10:15 PM
  30. Not at all, Timothy!  Check out the previous post.

31. raivo pommer-www.google.ee

NOKIA INDIA

Gearing up to meet the challenges of next generation mobile services - 3G, the world’s largest handset maker, Nokia, today announced a
    slew of new services like music online and location based services to be made available on its new phones, to be launched shortly.

“We are moving away from just devices to devices plus services plus solutions. With the 3G mobile services set to make advent by the middle of next year, we feel that revenue from non-voice services is bound to increase significantly,” Nokia India Ltd Vice-President and General Manager D Shivakumar told reporters here.

Asked whether Nokia is planning to acquire some of the content providers to enhance services, Shivakumar said “there is no plan for any acquisition but it will be done through a collaboration with the innovators.”

He, however, said that there would be significant investment in ramping up the facilities but declined to give details.

In fact, Nokia called upon Indian mobile and web application developers to create innovative consumer applications exclusively for the upcoming handset N97.

32. Thanks, George. If I’d have taken a few more humanities courses I probably could have figured that out for myself, not to mention all the Greek words in your reply.

Posted by oled tv  on  12/17  at  02:24 PM
  33. My favorite fragrances are Marygreenwell‘s Perfume, fragrance, spray etc, it gives a beautiful and feminine smell of joy, I really enjoy its smell, the important thing for me is Marygreenwell fragrance and scent lasts a long time.

mary greenwell

Posted by Mary Greenwell  on  01/19  at  01:40 AM
  34. I think execution ability is much important than a good idea.Because everyone has good ideas,but few people put them into practice....

35. Does Obama have a chance to win again? get reelected?

Posted by Chastity  on  04/20  at  09:49 AM

Next entry: Alice at CPAC

Previous entry: Another extra special guest post