So this is why

everyone’s talking about that sports franchise in St. Louis!

I totally get it now.

H/t Hester Blum.

1. Who’s John Hamm?
    The real point, of course, is that the Rangers are looking GOOOOOOOD!

2. Let’s be clear: not letting Rush buy that franchise (which, horror of horrors, might move back to L.A. in 2013...) is the functional equivalent of genocide.

3. DaveH:  Of course they are.  It’s October.

4. And Christian, ordinarily I would hesitate to throw around terms like “genocide,” but there’s no disputing this one.  If we on the left can’t defend Rush’s right to buy the Rams, we have truly forgotten what “universal Rams-buying human rights” really means.

5. Well, I’d say “Oh ye of little faith...” but I have even less; just enjoying the momentsmile

6. So Michael, will your publisher insert an additional page on the responsibility to protect Rush’s right to buy a franchise in your book? Otherwise I’m sorry to say I’d have to yell “liberal BIAS” and refrain from buying it.

7. I used to support the rights of pro football owners to do as they saw fit, but since Rush got denied I’m outraged by the Rams moving from Cleveland to LA in 1946.

8. So am I, JP. I’m told they sucked at the end of their stay here. We’re all afraid they might move back if the St. Louis taxpayers don’t give them a new stadium.

Also: can’t the TBS announcers for the NLCS at least pretend they are neutral? I understand the TV guys would prefer two East coast teams in the WS, but this was just painful.

9. I’m often out of my element here, and don’t rush to comment ‘cause of intellectual insecurity.  That goes double in the case of sportsy postings.

10. What a silly question @ 6, Christian!  R2P already covers Rush’s right to buy a football franchise. Once you use the term “genocide,” as in comment 2, the international community’s obligations are clear.

By the way, since the sport at issue here is hockey, and not “pass the pigskin” or “swat the horsehide” or some shit, can I just remind you all that Hull and Oates were in fact a dynamic duo?  1990-91 stats:  Hull, 86 goals (second all-time, single season, to Gretzky’s 92), 45 assists, 131 points; Oates, 25 goals, 90 assists, 115 points.  And serious playoff production as well.  Too bad the Blues could (almost) never get past the second round.

Captcha:  union, as in “there is power in a players’, especially when it comes to prospective owners who describe NFL games as contests between Crips and Bloods without weapons.”

11. Rush is right! We can see what carnage Obama’s America has allowed the vulgar race hustlers Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to unleash on the NHL in this photo of a brutal beating of a defenseless white boy by a hulking Bloods Crips member.

Captcha, and I am not making this up: “said,” as in, “it, there I.”

Posted by John Protevi  on  10/16  at  09:07 AM
  12. Too bad the Blues could (almost) never get past the second round.

Hmmm, working on a theory here, but it’s going to require an expansion into San Antonio, San Diego or Sault Ste. Marie to test. (No, Tampa Bay doesn’t count.)

11: Is there no sanctuary of civility left?

13. Blackhawks looking good early on, but really - hockey talk in October while it’s 80+ degrees out?

14. Although I guess mentioning the Blues barely qualifies as “hockey talk”.

15. How ‘bout them Cubs? Or per 8.2, have you switched already?

16. Switched?? No, but the Cubs are out, and I’d like a more positive view on the play-offs than my usual “I hope the Yankees lose"…

17. Mmmm...Jon Hamm yummy goodness (drool, drool). Best. Airspace. Post. Ever.

18. and I’d like a more positive view on the play-offs than my usual “I hope the Yankees lose"…

Dammit, Christian! You going soft like this has already set us back one game. Stop this nonsense and get with the program. You can be “positive” at some other, less critical time.

19. Oaktown Girl, I’m hurt. You make it seem like I can’t walk and chew gum (aka, cheer for the Dodgers and hate the Yankees) at the same time. But I take your point. Today I’ll fully concentrate on negativity (against Yanks and USC).

20. Thanks, Christian. That’s my boy!
    I didn’t mean to doubt you. You just had me a little freaked out for a second. Knowing you’re fully on board, I’m fine now.

captcha: season, as in, It’s hatin’ season!

21. Yuck. And I only caught the last inning of what looked like a very painful game for those not enamored of the pinstriped devils. I watched the Pens keep on rolling and fortunately turned off the tube, only to notice the late inning drama on the ‘net in time for the 13th.

22. Horrible sports day.

23. There is only one college team i hate worse than USC, and thus the Trojan win was slightly uplifting; while my Bruins suffered a horrendous defeat to their brothers of the North (apparently bruins, unlike bears, can’t catch a football with their paws).  The Angels might just make us all forget a certain Buckner if they keep trying to break the alltime record for errors in a series.  Dodgers are doing much better, but at least they pulled that last one out of their collective asses.  That leaves me with later today, and the slightest hope that the NFL can at least provide some delicious upsets and surprise performances.

24. (apparently bruins, unlike bears, can’t catch a football with their paws).

My Bears have been so damn flakey this year, that win was a nice surprise.

I really thought the Angels would pull it together against the Stankees last night. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

25. Yeah the Bruins… sigh. And if we took the money we pay that coach, we wouldn’t have to fire dozens of lecturers - worth a thought. I’m happy for Oaktown Girl though, at least she had something to cheer yesterday!

As for today: Let’s go Bears (Chicago, not Cal wink)!

26. Christian - thanks. And yeah, this could be a good game tonight between Da Bears and Da Falcons. And it’s been a long time since we’ve been able to actually look forward to a Chicago-Atlanta game, that’s for sure!

27. Hell, the Bruins should try get Mark Harmon to coach for a while, as he makes millions from his TV productions, so the salary could go to academics.  New-heist isn’t the answer to the Bruin dilemma.

And given the misery that is the western conference NFL teams, the Black & Blue division seem to only lose games within their conference, and crush those outside it.  Da Bears shall prevail, as did their fellow locals (GB and Vikes).

Not speaking of the NHL, the Canadian Women’s National Team visited here Friday night to fully school and crush the US team.  The 5-2 score appears much closer than it really was, the US skated like high school kids.

28. Lovely way to cap off the weekend with the Dodgers getting shut out and the Bears giving the game away on a platter.

29. Christian - oy. I’ll lift a nice cyber vodka shot for you in sympathy. (And how much is Chicago going to hate it if Orton pulls another win out of his ass on Monday Night Football tomorrow?) Dodgers - WTF? This series is gonna be no fun if they’re just gonna roll over and die like that.

spyder - Atlanta is NFC, too. Did you mean to say “division” instead of conference? Perhaps that’s how your prediction went awry?

30. Thanks, Oaktown Girl! I don’t usually drink alone, but I decided to make an exception tonight… glad to see you are joining me (if virtually).

Well, we’re all going to be confirmed in our believe that the problem is, and has been for years, the O-line and the play calling more than the QB.

captcha: “ready” as in, “not ready to play”.

31. To me, the real issue is whether or not Jon Hamm is lying when he says he saw Barclay Plager play for the St. Louis Blues. Barc the Spark last played for the Blues in the 1975-76 season (save 2 games next season), and Hamm turned 5 in March of that year. Oh, sure, it’s possible that Hamm watched the Blues at such a tender age - everybody I knew in St. Louis watched the Blues in the early 70s. But, would he really remember such a thing? This strikes me as a blatant misrepresentation in an attempt to make us think Hamm lived through the same lifetime as Don Draper.

Posted by Steve Pick  on  10/24  at  03:37 PM