Sparring

Here’s a snippet from Jamie’s tang soo do test.  This is Saturday morning, some time between 8 and 11 am—yes, we were testing all morning.  We’re brown belts (fourth gup) testing for brown-belt-with-white-stripe (third gup).  Here, Jamie demonstrates hand techniques eleven through fifteen:

On the cultural studies front, there’s this, to which the only responsible answer, I believe, is this.

1. Gotta work that symbolic capital.

captcha “feel,” as in how does it

2. Excellent undercover work filming the secret ACORN training facility in State College. First we take Centre County ...

Posted by John Protevi  on  10/05  at  03:15 PM
  3. I’d recognize Bill “Weather Uppercut” Ayers’ kiai anywhere.

Posted by Jason B  on  10/05  at  03:35 PM
  4. Oh, now that’s weird.  Obama also spells it “kiai.” What a baleful coincidence!

5. Merci, monsieur Bérubé, for both the Zappa (Zappa Plays Zappa on tour now, doing it for the money and to keep the music out there), and the excellent progress Jamie is making up the ladder of belted successes.  Soon he can aspire to red and then the Midnight Blue of Tang soo do; Congrats!

6. Absolutely chock full o’ bale.

Posted by Jason B.  on  10/05  at  11:15 PM
  7. Um, err. . . I can’t see any video there at all, just an empty white space.

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  10/06  at  04:58 PM
  8. Really?  I see tang soo do people.

Is anyone else having this empty-white-space problem?

9. I’ve also had the “empty white space” problem on at least one other sites that posts videos (Cartoon Brew, the five-minute preview of The Princess and the Frog). I’m inclined to think it’s a version problem. I’m back a version on Firefox (for Mac) and back a version on Flash reader, or whatever it is.

This problem is quite recent.

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  10/06  at  07:01 PM
  10. A passive-aggressive reading of this post:  “I see that someone made a snarky remark about my recent essay on cultural studies.  Did I mention that my younger son is learning eighteen ways to kill a man silently with his bare hands?  Well, he is.  I’m just sayin’.”

CAPTCHA: being

11. I don’t see how that’s even a remotely plausible interpretation of this post, alkali.  Oh, and did I mention that Jamie can break a cinderblock?

Seriously, though, there’s no way Jamie would step up for me on this one.  He thinks my essay was totally opportunistic and shallow, and he’s especially contemptuous of the sentence, “The period of theoretical ferment that began in the late 1960s and gained traction in the 1970s seemed to have reached the boiling point.” As well he should be!  I’m not sure what happened to quality control on that one.  (But it’s not really a “mixed metaphor trifecta,” as someone said—a ferment can reach a boiling point.  The traction is the problem.  I will do better going forward, making sure to avoid sentences that are like game-changing cliches on steroids.)

12. Having dwelt in the world of diabolical machinery for the brewing and agitation of vile stews of bacteria and yeast, I would assert that there’s plenty of traction involved in fermentation.  So never you mind the metaphor mixin’.  Clearly, your pen is a sword, which you dip into the inkwell of truth.

Speaking of which, doesn’t your older son know how to use a knife in a fight?  Perhaps he would step up, especially if he thought unicorns were involved.

Next entry: About that TV show