Special Olympics

image

Jamie made his track-and-field debut today.  His time in the 50 meter dash:  14.82 seconds. . . .

image

. . . good enough for second place.

Corporate sponsorships for this athlete are now available!  Endorsement packages especially welcome.  Jamie’s family doesn’t care for sweatshop labor or environmental degradation, and Jamie himself prefers companies that are good to animals, even dangerous animals like pythons and great white sharks.  Applications by e-mail only, or have your marketing representative leave contact information in comments.

1. Woohoo.  Does he like sprinting, or does he do other distances.  I’m thinking Clifbar, or maybe even New Balance.

He DOES have the coolest outfit on the podium though--and as far as I’m concerned, he’s probably due for some sort of royalty check from the Mets.

Posted by DocMara  on  04/14  at  08:25 PM
  2. Great!  I wasn’t even thinking of that.  But I’m not sure the Mets have any money to spare right now--

3. "But I’m not sure the Mets have any money to spare right now--”

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained.” Or, if you don’t like that one, “Squeaky wheel gets grease.”

(Course, the Mets could turn around and charge him an equipment rental fee for the sweatsuit, so maybe neither of those is a good idea after all).

Posted by Linkmeister  on  04/14  at  08:35 PM
  4. Could we collectively sponsor him as “Defenders of Academic Freedom”? (And would he agree?!)

Posted by Sherman Dorn  on  04/14  at  08:36 PM
  5. Wow. What a wonderful face he has.

Well, sign me up. I have to support a man wearing a Mets shirt.

Posted by julia  on  04/14  at  10:59 PM
  6. That’s a better time than I could ever imagine but then I was a field ‘athlete’ & the weight guys never ran.  Congrats to Jamie.

7. Well, I think the first sponsors you approach is whoever owns that Beatles catalogue. He’d be a natural spokesperson for them. And it’s a product he believes in!

Posted by Roxanne  on  04/14  at  11:48 PM
  8. Roxanne, if the owner of the Beatles’ catalogue is still Michael Jackson (perhaps he has sold it to pay his lawyers, perhaps an interested reader can address this), you are suggesting an endorsement deal that may not be in Jamie’s best interests--well, at least until he turns 18.  In any case, the unwanted publicity may not be conducive to Jamie’s traing regimen.

9. I think Wacko Jacko only owns a half-interest of the Fabs’ catalogue.  Whatever the hell was Macca thinking or did all the pot he’s smoked over the years finally do his brain in?  But Dr. Scholl is right re: his advice.

Why no Pirates or Phillies, Michael?  I mean, if the Mets were actually winning some games, Jamie might almost be open to charges of bandwagon hopping.

10. Oh, I just noticed:

[Taunting, sneering, sing-songy voice] Jamie got beat by a girl! Jamie got beat by a girl! [/playground taunting]

11. Wow, Michael, I think you posted the uncompressed version of those pictures (which are very nice,btw). 2.5 MB for both is a bit heavy…

12. Hmm, John, I didn’t even think of that.  Let me get back to you on this.

13. Way to go Jamie! I’m struggling to remember who wore 32 on the 1969 Miracles. Somebody help me before I lose a day of work searching.

14. HEY!!!! The Mets have won four in a row, so along with MLB’s longest losing streak so far, they’ve got one of the longest winning streaks as well (and are bottom feeding with the same record as the Phillies, and a better one than the Bucs).

A young man couldn’t wear a more flattering jersey.

In other news, no Met wore 32 in 1969 according to Baseball Almanac.

Lo, the internets provide: 32’s include Jon Matlack (’72-’77), Paul Wilson (1996), Mike Hampton, and Bruce Chen (’01-02).

Michael, given Jamie’s time, might I suggest a future Mets jersey featuring #1, in honor of Mookie Wilson (1980-89)?

Posted by Moon  on  04/15  at  10:31 AM
  15. I’m very grateful to you Moon.

16. One more ‘attaboy’.

17. Ah, but imagine what those 1969 Mets might have been if they’d had the most famous (and Brooklyn-born!) #32—Koufax!

Posted by Linkmeister  on  04/15  at  04:40 PM
  18. Wow, congratulations to Jamie!  He’s standing tall and proud in that second pic!

Posted by Eric Lee  on  04/18  at  02:19 PM
  19. Beautiful stuff...thanks for posting the pics, you reminded me that there are things like hope, love and beauty in the world; made my day.

20. These photographs so beautifully capture what bodies do: move (and how many ways we have of doing this).  Thanks for the photographs and the previous essay.  I knew I was ignorant about the Beatles but never knew how ignorant.  It was a delight to learn the results of a mind engaged in inquiry and the Beatles are worth the time and effort.  I now think of Jamie Berube’s expertise whenever a Beatles songline is heard or comes to mind.  Again, thank you and congratulations to this young athlete, to all the athletes who particpated.  Cheers from a near 80 degree St. Paul, MN.

21. lagrlilh uhjyzspg ahqzfvus http://teabwbok.com iwlapcdf khhessxl

Posted by wgbxxuau  on  01/01  at  11:43 AM
  22. nzhiivhw http://mlofnwuw.com fwccrvpx ikmqvppy whvfwfyg epnubhvj

Posted by fiipsyjf  on  01/05  at  06:53 PM
  23. I wasn’t aware of the many ripples and depth to this story until I surfed here through Google! Great job.. Photography Templates

Posted by Photography Templates  on  03/14  at  09:08 AM
  24. This is one of very few blogs that was worth the read, a great insight. My friend will be so exciting to check out that. Thank you for sharing out.  Modular Exhibits

Posted by Modular Exhibits  on  03/21  at  08:29 AM
  25. You have been bookmarked. You can’t imagine how long I have been searching for this precious information. This will be very useful to me for my future business on that field. diet home delivery

Posted by Bistro MD  on  03/27  at  09:17 AM
  26. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

Posted by récupération de données  on  04/17  at  08:36 AM
  27. I am not really sure if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your great job is clearly identified. I was wondering if you offer any subscription to your RSS feeds as I would be very interested and can’t find any link to subscribe here

Posted by récupération de données  on  04/18  at  06:09 AM
  28. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It’s the old what goes around comes around routine. Did you acquired lots of links and I see lots of trackbacks?  bikinis

Posted by thong  on  04/19  at  10:51 AM
  29. Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful

Posted by Digital Printing Vancouver  on  04/30  at  05:41 AM
  30. I am not really sure if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your great job is clearly identified. I was wondering if you offer any subscription to your RSS feeds as I would be very interested and can’t find any link to subscribe here.
    el segundo