They call it crooked Monday

I’m over there today, just because.

Update:  I’ve decided that it is not neighborly of me to send people over to CT empty-handed.  OK, here’s that song that we talked about in that thread:

Now my work here is done.

1. Talking to the Taxman about Poetry is a great album.  Well except for the Count Fives cover

2. It is also the difficult third album, if memory serves.

3. The scrolling text said that this song was a “Top 30 hit” in 1986. I was 16 at the time, and pretty conscious of what was popular (in music, anyway), but this is the first time I’ve ever heard that song.

Maybe my memories are implants. That would explain a lot.

Posted by Jason B.  on  11/23  at  10:24 PM
  4. Over There?  Right!

Johnnie, get your gun,
    Get your gun, get your gun,
    Johnnie show the Hun
    Who’s a son of a gun.
    Hoist the flag and let her fly,
    Yankee Doodle do or die.
    Pack your little kit,
    Show your grit, do your bit.
    Yankee to the ranks,
    From the towns and the tanks.
    Make your mother proud of you,
    And the old Red, White and Blue.

Over there, over there,
    Send the word, send the word over there -
    That the Yanks are coming,
    The Yanks are coming,
    The drums rum-tumming
    Ev’rywhere.
    So prepare, say a pray’r,
    Send the word, send the word to beware.
    We’ll be over, we’re coming over,
    And we won’t come back till it’s over
    Over there.

Over hill over dale we have hit the dusty trail
    As our caissons go rolling along.
    Up and down, in and out, Countermarch and right about,
    And our caissons go rolling along.

For it’s hi! hi! hee!
    In the field artillery,
    count out your numbers loud and strong,
    And where e’er you go,
    You will always know
    That the Caissons go rolling along.

First to fight for the right,
    And to build the Nation’s might,
    And The Army Goes Rolling Along
    Proud of all we have done,
    Fighting till the battle’s won,
    And the Army Goes Rolling Along.

For it’s hi! hi! hee!
    In the field artillery,
    Shout out your numbers loud and strong,
    And where e’er you go,
    You will always know
    That the Caissons go rolling along.

Men in rags, men who froze,
    Still that Army met its foes,
    And the Army went rolling along.
    Faith in God, then we’re right,
    And we’ll fight with all our might,
    As the Army keeps rolling along.

5. I’m still experiencing blissful aftershocks of your deft allusion to L-S’s Tears in the interview.  And then a friend of mine, the excellent James Parker, made another great, obscure, sideways musical reference in his NYTBR piece on Stephen King’s new doorstop.  It, too, left me singing to myself with a dreamy smile.  Read it here:

6. As well as an extremely blunt, straightforward musical reference.

Posted by ben wolfson  on  11/25  at  01:49 PM
  7. 5,6: Now I’m intrigued by your respective categorizations since by my count there are two (or more accurately one mixed) relatively straightforward but unacknowledged musical references and another acknowledged one (and there’s a fair chance that the obscure, sideways one eluded me). You never know just how things look through other people’s eyes.

8. So I’ll give you that this one was an openly acknowledged musical reference, where Michael’s was slyly surreptitious.  Yet, I’ll stand by the sidewaysness.  Answering JP, I wasn’t referring to the Mr. Jones, or “Stop Children” references, but the Butthole Surfers quote later in the piece.  I mean, you don’t generally see Butthole Surfers lyrics in the NYTBR, do you?  And there is a bit of coyness in the reference to the “songwriter Gibby Haynes” as its author.  But more, it was just that the lyric perfectly suited the task at hand, and although the song got way too much play lo those many years ago, it still is an excellent song, and the Surfers still have capital to spend from their inspired early years.

9. Ok, thanks. It was an apt reference, but no doubt if the group had not been named something as provocatively transgressive as Butthole Surfers he would not have felt the need to go to the songwriter. I am reminded of a group whose music I really like (and learned of through one of my kids) is Cunninlynguists (a favorite song here). The name has kept me from recommending them to certain folks who I think would like some of their stuff (and also kept me from referencing them in NYTBR pieces).