To put things in perspective

In comments to the preceding post, JP Stormcrow writes,

At this point I think I’ll root for whoever wins in the West. Just do not care for teams that barely qualify for the Playoffs winning it all.

Let me put that another way:  the Flyers are here because they won a shootout against the Rangers in the final game of the season.  That’s right, you win a shootout in the final game to squeak into the playoffs and you get home ice advantage in the conference finals.  It just seems wrong—because it is.

OK, granted, it’s not as bad as seeing the 1990-91 Minnesota North Stars in the finals with a record of 27-39-14.  The NHL can be a funny league sometimes.  Hey, remember the four years when Vancouver was in the Eastern division and Philadelphia was in the West?  I promise I am not making that up.

Also, I have a question.  I caught part of game six of the Celtics - Cavaliers series in that other sport, and I couldn’t help thinking about it while I was watching the speedy Sharks and Hawks pepper each other with a combined 85 shots (45-40 Sharks) in game one.  For those of you who follow basketball, was that first half exceptionally slow and poorly played, or have I gotten spoiled by things like Sharks-Hawks games and improbable Flyers comebacks?

Non-hockey blogging will resume shortly.  I have a good story (well, I hope it is a good story) to tell about the trip to Irvine.  No, not the one about how SEK overslept on Saturday and left me without a ride back to LAX at 6:30 in the morning.  That was OK—I walked some and hitched some.  It’s another story altogether, about my brief look into the Rorty archives.

1. I’ve got that Firefox Personas thing up on my browser. I’ve also got the “add on” that rotates various Personas of your choosing. Coincidentally, as I read your post, this one was the one that was up. (And funny enough, this one came up next!).

And how many times do I have to tell you that life on your road trips would be so much easier if you’d just be like Tom Cruise from Collateral. No one would ever fuck up your rides. Ever. And appropriately enough, even Stewie, who’s now up on my browser, agrees.

2. No, not the one about how SEK overslept on Saturday and left me without a ride back to LAX at 6:30 in the morning.

I have a good story too!  You see, it was really windy, then the power went out, so I overslept.  The End.

Alright, so that’s not nearly as good as Michael’s story is, but it’s a story!

Posted by SEK  on  05/17  at  03:47 PM
  3. And the essay?  Right?  Afterall, Chris Clarke is claiming some pyrrhic WAAGNFNP victory over some Facebook comment and post-conference dinner partying (which may or may not have anything to do with SEK sleeping in).

Yes, the first half was slow, and both teams looked too tired to try to play.  Then, at halftime, something woke up the Celtics and they seem to be very much alive since.

Because Vancouver is an East Coast city and rowdy crazy Philly is not so unlike Denver.

4. Suddenly it occurs to me that the conference finals are all about the American Airspace irregulars.  O-Girl and spyder v. Christian and Orange in the West, Protevi v. Chris Robinson in the East.  JP Stormcrow and mds don’t have a team because the midwest begins in the mountains just west of Syracuse, or something like that.

5. Chris Clarke is claiming some pyrrhic WAAGNFNP victory over some Facebook comment and post-conference dinner partying (which may or may not have anything to do with SEK sleeping in)

Naw. I’ve long since learned that you pay far too high a price for claiming pyrrhic victories.

As for SEK’s gaffe, I can only say mea culpa. It was noisy in that restaurant. Annette told me later that SEK had said to me “We’re all hip now to the intricacies of that argument,” but at the time it seemed plain to me that he’d actually said “Put a rohypnol in my chicken tikka with garlic and mint.” It seemed a confusing request, because when you order chicken tikka mint usually comes on the side. But who was I to argue, I thought at the time. My apologies. Perhaps there is some sort of purgatorial internet ritual to which I could be subjected so as to salve my conscience.

Did we ever find out why Ward Churchill was a no-show?

Posted by Chris Clarke  on  05/17  at  06:46 PM
  6. Another in the “you’ve seen one college-town Lit.-mafia, you seen ‘em all” blog-meme--(then, Rorty-speak means mendacity may function as well as ~(mendacity)).

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  05/17  at  06:57 PM
  7. That was one amazing Game 1 between Hawks and Sharks. Probably the only one I’ll actually get to see with ESPN rather showing college fly fishing than NHL (grumble), but a good one. In even more important news, Germany’s top player is out for the World Cup [talking about the real sport here]. It’s a national tragedy.

8. Also, over-sleeping would not have been a problem if Michael had just booked a Red-eye like my colleagues do when visiting (you may conclude I have overly energetic collaborators). I mean it’s fine to get up at 6:30 PDT if you come from the Eastern time zone, but those of us who live here… not so much. This doesn’t excuse Mr. Clarke’s criminal behaviour, of course.

9. Yeah, if only Chris hadn’t put that rotflmaophenol in Scott’s chicken tikka masala, Scott would have had the pleasure and privilege of getting up at 3 am to drive from his house in—I dunno, San Bernandino or someplace, to pick me up in Irvine at 6:30, drive me all the way to LAX, and then go back home.  If I’d had any sense at all, I would have told SEK to forget it while I took the shuttle.  But I’m so ignorant about SoCal geography—I kept asking everyone if we could go see Chris’s Joshua Tree and then swing by TBogg’s place for dinner.

Captcha:  truth, as in “intersubjective agreement.”

10. Yes that does sound like my friend you never want to hike with… famous almost-last words “but it looked really close on the map!” (Captcha - and I’m not kidding - “distance”.)

11. JP Stormcrow and mds don’t have a team because the midwest begins in the mountains just west of Syracuse, or something like that.

We Are All Left Coasters Party Now

It was the 1973 Mets (82-79, yet made it to the World Series) that first offended my purist sensibilities.

12. I used to be a fan of playoffs, but ever since the 1973 Mets made it to the World Series, I’ve been outraged by the 1937-38 Chicago Blackhawks.

13. Well played. This was a setup wasn’t it?

14. So my Stars had to back into those playoffs. They would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn’t been for that meddling Barrasso! Flarn flarn filth and flarn.

Posted by Jason B.  on  05/17  at  11:29 PM
  15. This was a setup wasn’t it?

And how.  I have waited 42 years to tell that joke.

And that meddling Barrasso did prevent a major theft of the Cup.  One only wonders how the 1938 Hawks’ Mike Karakas pulled off the heist of the century.

16. How much sacrilege would it be if the Flyers took home the whole thing?  The two teams in the West, one with the most points and the other with the most wins, slug it out while the two with mediocre records puff it out in the East.  This can only bode well for Philly, and though i must continue to support with my entire being the Sharks, there is that overwhelming feeling that makes me shudder all over.  Go Sharks?

17. Michael,

It’s hard for me not to respond here as a homer, but everyone seems to be focusing in solely on a fatigued LeBron James as the reason for the outcome of the entire Celtics-Cavs series.  That might be the case.  And maybe not watching LeBron leap and jump spasmodically all over the place, even after the whistle was blown, might have seemed to slow things down a bit, what with the Sports Center highlights being out of the question.  From what I remember, both teams were pretty sloppy at the start, probably because both of them were a bit tentative and nervous (The Celts being able to close things out, the Cavs needing to stay alive after a homecourt beatdown).

No matter what--and despite what the LeBron hype machine is writing/blogging/broadcasting this week--the Celtics straight-up won that series in magnificent fashion.  A tired LeBron with a potentially week elbow wasn’t the determining factor there.  The Cavs just can’t run every single play through him because, well, they’ll lose eventually, as they have during all of their postseason runs to date.  No matter, Boston assasinated professional basketball in Cleveland last week, so no need to continue discussing the matter, I suppose.

Posted by J. Fisher  on  05/18  at  10:35 AM
  18. Well, given Chris Clarke’s excellent shameful actions with tikka masala befoulment, I must admit having some sympathy for Professor Kaufman’s difficulties ...

Alright,

GAH!  Never mind.  To the guillotine with him.

Did we ever find out why Ward Churchill was a no-show?

The mention of chicken tikka made him afraid that he might run into some actual Indians.

Icy mountains at that.  But I’m the one who knows what “Middle Atlantic” states are, and ... Forget it.  It seems I can never escape living in the Midwest, even in New England.

Oh, that racy Steven Mailloux.  “Rorty on Dreyfus on Kierkegaard.” Chicka-Wow Chicka-Wow Wow!  What’s next, “I’m Søren too”?

19. funniest part is seeing Habs logos all over the place here in southwestern Ontario

Posted by Clare  on  05/18  at  10:49 AM
  20. Meanwhile, my internet friends over at Facebook have come with the all-purpose retort:

I mean, if Gore had said this to Bush in 2000 we’d be living in a different world. If Chris Clarke had said this to the prosecution, well, the WAAGNFNP Show Trial would have been even more fun.

Capcha: I’m just “saying”

Posted by Bill Benzon  on  05/18  at  11:35 AM
  21. Did we ever find out why Ward Churchill was a no-show?

Eazy: Ward wanted to avoid the honkay-booj-wah Oppressors of UCI, and/or their henchmen.

Professor...

Kah-lasss, open your Marvel Comix Reader to page.... 187.  Pedagogy under the Rortyocracy.

Posted by Ezra Hound  on  05/18  at  11:52 AM
  22. Kah-lasss, open your Marvel Comix Reader to page.... 187.

As Faisal Shahzad said to his SUV, “Oooh, burn!”

23. OMG, i just looked over at a bookshelf behind me, and realized that a Rorty book was laying atop some of Churchill’s.  I don’t think i moved them in time; what strange spawn will they form?

While that is fermenting, once again the Flyers crush the Canadians and lead the series 2-0.  Perhaps they will go up 3-0 and then proceed to lose four in a row?  They are playing to a tie in the first in the West.  Go Sharks, please!

24. Three things about Flyers-Habs.

1.  Gomez is playing like crap and taking shtoopid penalties against a team whose power play is quite powerful.  In game one, he forgot how to take faceoffs in the defensive end and pick up his opposite center.  Tonight, he played the kind of game Rangers fans came to know and hate—lots of pretty skating with the puck, followed by a simple poke check or an errant pass.

2.  I don’t know precisely how long Halak leased his soul to the devil, but I know the lease has expired.  The third goal was a total embarrassment.

3.  Conversely, the Canadiens have now convinced themselves—and, worse, the Flyers—that Leighton is the reincarnation of Roy, vintage 1986.  If they fail to score first in game 3, they are done.

25. how long Halak leased his soul to the devil,

It had actually been more of a time-share in the first 2 rounds--but the devil got all of the good weeks. Still a chance for that pattern to continue.

Now that was a restive crowd at the end in San Jose.

26. Now that was a restive crowd at the end in San Jose

Well bless those Hawks for putting us Sharks’ fans out of our delirious misery.

27. Wow! I just looked in excess of at a bookshelf at the back me, and realized that a Rorty book was lying atop some of Churchill’s. Thanks!!

Posted by Anthony gonsalvege  on  04/15  at  06:33 AM